56 coaches online • Server time: 18:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2004 - 23:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I had trouble with my first team, which happen to be human. I made plenty of mistakes, of course, but I was increasingly frustrated by my opponents' success. Some teams would cage, some would bash, some would dodge and pass, but all were successful against me. My record was a sad 2/1/10.

I returned to the team much later, and decided that the problem was that I had lots of Team Strength sitting on the bench. With 16 players on the roster, five of them would have to be off the field for much of the match, yet they still contributed to the strength of my team, and consequently, my opponents were stronger. I promptly fired every player with a niggle or -stat injury to get my roster down to 13 players. I played a few games with moderate success, bought an ogre, replaced the retired blitzer. Now I'm waiting for a lineman to get a niggle so I can reduce the roster to 13 again. In any case, I've managed a reasonable 3/3/3 since chopping the roster and rebuilding.

How many players does everyone else use in Ranked? I'm not buying players, even though I have 160k in the bank, simply to avoid increasing TS. Any thoughts on what I should do with the cash?
Zalphir

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2004 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice would be to make sure that you have enough rerolls, and then start buying a wizard for as many matches as you think is necessary. With a human team, you are going to be needing to keep replacing players, so you will want to be sure to keep some cash in the pot, but not a huge amount.

I agree with the conclusion that you arrived at - I feel the same way. An open league is WAY different from a closed league or tournament situation.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2004 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally people have 16 fit players. If they get a permanent injury most are fired immedialty unless something special. Nigglers are a cert to be retired.You can play with less players
but if you get maimed in a game it can be team over. as for the 160k....buy rr, replace cripples, hire a star, dont think about the ts think about the tr, thats what calculates winnings, if your desperate to dump your rating buy and discard re rolls, buy and fire coaches, perfectly legit game rules.

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2004 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

"Smeeeeeeeeeeg Heeeeeeead"

I very rarely go over 12 players... then again, that's rarely by choice - I play a lot of expensive, lightweight, poncy teams, for the most part.

Even so, I'd dump any injured players and maybe a few unskilled linos for kicks. Numbers 9, 11 and possibly 12 would get the boot. That would give you 11-12 players and then you can suck up some of that cash by hiring a wizard or two. With humans, you could hire stars as well but you need to make sure that they don't leech away all your SPPs. Using Zug as a nice sturdy tacklezone would work, although I'd think twice about hiring Griff to score all your TDs, if you see what I'm getting at.

{ ps. ditching the three players would put you at roughly 173/167. That's down one income bracket, 11 players to field and better handicap situation against an equivalent TS team. With a wizard for the next match you'd probably have a really nice matchup.

Also, most people will probably give you advice contrary to mine. They are probably right... Just giving you another point of view. }

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2004 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Getting Griff to suck up the spps is a good idea for the moment Wink
hence you blow cash and spps from tr Wink and stunt the teams growth for a bit. But then again i have no idea how to play the game, its up to you Your the coach LOL

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2004 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to have 13 players mostly. I've upped that to fourteen at very high TRs since at that point you can get your butt whooped in some games and you have a death or several mngs waiting for you the next game. Skaven can use 14 players as well, so long as three of those are linerats with zero spps (cannonfodder, you'll need all of them since even with 14 players you'll probably end the match with 10 or less fit to play).

For your particular team I'd suggest dropping one re-roll, getting rid of your cash in whatever way you please, and firing the -MA lineman. Keep the players you have, buy replacements as necessary, and try to get spps pretty even across the board. When you hit tr 200 again after that consider buying the fifth re-roll again.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that it's wrong to put 16 Players in the List,
but mainly if you are talking about tactics you have to respond
to the tactics of your opponents.
Mainstream in BBowl here is to keep 12/13play. to get every STR point
to the pit.
If you are not as nice you can easily tear them down by Line Actions or
some fouling while you got the Ref. sure that does not sound as fairplay
but setting up fewer players than allowed isn't fair as well...

or let me put it this way:

If you want to win the Race by removing the Hull from your car,
so it gets reduced in weight and faster, don't wonder about your
wounds in a crash !!!

I dislike discarding of any kind, who would give away money or beloved
Players in Real ??? I know it's a Game but it should be more realistic t keep what you get *more* *more* Smile
Eddy

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

well, some "real" teams sell their most brilliant players because they cannot afford to pay them the amount they want. that's what you do when you discard an experienced player with a niggling injury so that your TR drops and you can start getting money again...

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Just did a cleanup on a few of my teams, including firing a +MV, +AG pass sure hands accurate safe throw block Orc Thrower, because a) he was niggled, and b) he added a whopping 26 onto my TR. By firing him and discarding 4 rerolls I dropped the TR from 198 to 146, which is 20K extra per game. It helps that there's another pass sure hands strong arm accurate safe throw block thrower to take his place, of course... but sometines you gotta bite the bullet and do what's best for the team. May have to do similar with my humans as well: I have a +MV, +MV catch dodge block leap cathcher with a niggling injury that eats up 21 of my TR... and likewise, there's a suitable replacement already... in fact i'm off to do that now... Smile
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

It may be a fitting strategy, not to use the apothecary on ripped players, but spare him only for those serious injuries with permanent effects.
The dead guy reduces your TS, while the injured ones don't.
But that's evil. Evil or Very Mad Maybe lawful evil. Wink
Ash

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

number of players in your team must depend of your strategy and of your race....
If you ve Av7 you need more player than if you ve Av9. It s quite logic.
But it s not all... if you re a pussy and never play against team with more bashing power, you need less player than if you re not.
If you like fooling, having lot of player can be good too so you can have some ejected without caring about...
Next, to spend money, my favorite is to hire wizard...

Anyway... i ve a lot of player in my teams (15 or 16 in almost all team) and i ve good stats... and i play all kind of player with all kind of team... so maybe trouble is somewhere else Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

That's what I did with my Norse team, RPG Villains...

Z
Mully

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2004 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

number of players in your team must depend of your strategy and of your race....
If you ve Av7 you need more player than if you ve Av9. It s quite logic.

Thanks Ash for bringing sound advice to the board.

Jump to: