36 coaches online • Server time: 16:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

On my laptop running Ubuntu, when I launch games in spectator mode, a white bar appears at the bottom of the screen with loading information:

firstly a text box: "About Fantasy Football", then "Start Game as Spectator".

However the text box is part of a white box that extends the whole space of the screen. It remains when the game has started. The issue is that it covers the part where you enter chat commands etc.

However I can still click in the appropriate places to write chats, I just can't see what I am typing.

The behaviour under Windows is completely different, and the text box never appears down the bottom.

Oscar Wilde
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Things like this can be related to your Java-version. I think Kalimar will have a much easier time trying to find what is causing this if you provide your java-version.
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I do know about this, but I don't have any fix yet. For the technical minded it is because Linux has a very different behavior for the JDesktopPane upon which the dialogs are placed. It adds some kind of taskbar within the application showing the title of the internal frames. This is very weird, as Windows doesn't do aqnything of the sort. What's even worse is that you cannot even access said Taskbar in any kind (there is no object for it directly accessible). Will probably have to move away from the DesktopPane altogether.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

> java -version

java version "1.6.0_16"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

Also, I am using sun java6. Funnily enough, on my work computer running Suse Linux, this doesn't happen.

Oscar Wilde
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 13:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on the window manager, perhaps? Seen this on a Gnome desktop.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalimar wrote:
It depends on the window manager, perhaps? Seen this on a Gnome desktop.

Could be. My laptop is running Gnome, and my work computer is KDE.

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2010 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, the problem happens when I play too! (So I cant see the number of rerolls for example)

Oscar Wilde
jimjo

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

try java 1.6_20
i had same problems with 1.6_19 Kubuntu
now fixed
Grumsson

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that in the FAQ.
http://playffb.net/node/5
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Also, I tried unclicking the box "Show sandbox warning banner".

Still no love for me.

Oscar Wilde
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod: what window-manager do you use? Apparently this happens with Gnome, not KDE.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I am using Gnome-Ubuntu. I am downloading KDE now, and will let you know if it works when I am done.

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I can confirm that with everything else the same (especially with regards to Java version) , but switching from Gnome to KDE on the same computer is a work-around for the problem.

Oscar Wilde
Ludovicious

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod, try out your openbox session (you need to install it if you dont have it though. openbox, that is).
tsjeppesen

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2010 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

java -version
java version "1.6.0_15"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)

I have the same problem as Grod (also on an Ubuntu machine). I would update my java but unfortunately I don't know how to:(

I also have the problem that when I log on to spec a game I can only see the first action and then the client freezes (I can only see the very first thing that happens when i log on - most often being a player moving one square and then the game freezes). If I close the client then I can not log on as a spectator again - the client will tell me that I am already logged on.

I know this sounds like I have no idea of what I am doing with a computer:) Especially taken into account that other Ubuntu users are able to spec games. I assume most of my problems will be solved by upgrading my java. Anyway just wanted to let you know, that Grod is not the only one having the problem of the white bar.

-tsjeppesen

Edit: I also use Gnome.

Edit again: and now I feel like a complete idiot as I just connected to spec a game and now speccing works just fine. It must be the law of "proclaim your troubles and they will be solved - albeit making you look like an idiot" Smile
 Jump to: