45 coaches online • Server time: 11:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wotfudboy

Post 22 Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

My question is this: Two of my friends live in the same house, with only one pc in it. Would they be able to play an unranked private league match on the same PC, and then download the results to Fumbbl?

Can anyone see any problems with this?, or provide any recommendations? (apart from asking them to buy another internet pc!)

Hope this is not too much of a nOOb question. I've played Blood Bowl on Fumbbl for a bit now, but I've only ever participated in public leagues... I've never started a private (or indeed public) league. Thanks in advance!
Mully

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

DOH

Last edited by Mully on Sep 02, 2004 - 15:34; edited 1 time in total
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If you open two clients you can play on the same comp. It just get's a bit confusing the first ten seconds of every turn when the playing field is reversed.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Tinkywinky... I will get them to try that... that information was certainly more helpful than "DOH" Smile

If anyone has any other alternatives please let me know! Help is always welcomed!!

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sure that when you play on the same pc you only get one result file to upload not the two required the game needs to be reported. If I was you i would call into the admin channel first to double check. I am sure there have been posts before about ppl not being able to upload games.
ploplo25

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

if its only to play a league between you and your friend you could use a league manager (i think there is a downloadle one here) and do it o your own.
You will just have to roll your skills yourself (I'm sure you got 2 dices at home Wink )
It would be easier I think

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:33 Reply with quote Back to top

We are trying to set up a league between a small group (about 4...maybe 5 people) that are seperated by quite a few miles. Two of those players are in one house.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Thanks Tinkywinky... I will get them to try that... that information was certainly more helpful than "DOH

Well if you were quick enough to see my original post, I said I didnt think it could be done. DOH sounded better than saying"I am wrong. wrong...wrong".

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully wrote:
Quote:

Thanks Tinkywinky... I will get them to try that... that information was certainly more helpful than "DOH

Well if you were quick enough to see my original post, I said I didnt think it could be done. DOH sounded better than saying"I am wrong. wrong...wrong".

LOL, ok... but it could be that you were right the first time! Nobody has said "YES, I have come across this problem, and it was resolved this way!..." yet.

If I get no joy here I will quiz one of the admins tonight... I just wanted to see if anyone knew so I didn't have to disturb "them upstairs"! Very Happy
Marley

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no problem at all playing with two clients on the same computer. I've done it with some friends a few times. Never had any problems. The savefiles get named team1vsteam2.zip and team2vsteam1.zip works just fine
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Marley is so right indeed. Only one file get's uploaded automatically though so you have to upload the other one manually with the correct login.
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

First of all, I fully commend you for playing in a private league with your room/housemate(s). That's cool and exactly the sort of thing that groups and divU in general are for. So long as you are not playing ranked (or factions or ladder... you get the point, I trust), then have fun with it. I don't think you can play "standalone" and upload it, as that only makes a single result file (or at least it did in the past). You might be able to run two instances of JBB on the same machine. Just download two full versions and keep them in seperate folders. That should work.

There is the unfortunate possiblity that you will get accused of cheating. If you build up teams in your private league and then try to join a public league, the ugliness will likely start to fly. Just a warning. I would not use these teams for anything at all other than your own private group. If you want to play in "open" unranked games, then I'd advise a second (or third or fourth or etc...) team to do so.

The alternative way of avoiding this potentially annoying problem is to play off FUMBBL. I know, it's sacrilege, but it sounds like it might work well for you. Mattias Fredsburg has picked up development of Christer's original League Manager and is doing a great job with it. If (like me) you're the type who likes to tinker with stuff, it might be a nice option for you to give a go at doing it all yourself. If nothing else, it certainly helps one develop an appreciation of everything that the admins do here. Maybe not for everyone, but worth considering.

At any rate, if you play on FUMBBL, please keep your teams inside your private group. I'm begging you. Last thing we all need is another forum thread with people complaining about cheaters...

{ edit: just noticed that someone else already pimped LeagueManager. Make that 2 votes for it, then. }

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2004 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks BadMrMojo and Marley & Tinkeywinky... rest assured there is NO softly softly between myself and my friends... In fact quite the reverse... we will push the rules (and the player into the crowd!) to the limit to get a win over the other guy just for bragging rights alone!... but I take your point about "keeping it private". I will get my mates to try this out and will report back here if it goes pear shaped!

Thanks again everyone!

Jump to: