46 coaches online • Server time: 18:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
djennings1301

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2010 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone, I am a fairly new player, only about 15 games, and I really need some help on offense. I feel like my defense is getting better, but I am really struggling offensively. If anyone has time, i would like some input on these matches:

http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=2995287 - What could I have done better offensively, besides not letting my guys get crowd pushed?

and this one:
http://www.fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=2989119

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2010 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

My expertise is limitted but since no one else seems to want to step up:

Txurt
Amazons are always tricky at low TR as their universal dodge is so helpful.
T1 BH to your star player. You might have set him up better supported (not at all sure you should have) but you were definitely unlucky there and it robs you of your TR/TS advantage before you get a turn. You then put up a decent enough defence for the rest of the half.
2nd half you could have advanced deeper initially on the flanking manoeuvre which would have made it much harder for him to get round in front of you -he left the sides wide open so you could have set up a bunch of elves to flood down either side (or both). You do not have to block everything on the LoS and it is ok to dodge with agi4 unskilled players (just do other things first): remember that elves win by being slicker than anyone else with the ball and not usually by throwing the opposition from the pitch -you might think you can outbash amazons but without tackle they are likely to outlast you.
T2, T3 you brought the ball forward; there's little reason to bring the ball into range of the opposition when you can throw it reliably. It's nice to leave yourselve the option of going up either side too as it only takes a couple of loose elves to score.
You then retreated again but didn't seem to realise that the amazons weer getting within striking distance, man-marking doesn't work against ladies or anyone else who can dodge reliably.

Mostly: it takes more than three elves up one side to be confident of scoring and they need to go deep if possible to make it hard for the opposition to get in front of them -this assumes that you have been left an opening on a flank and that the opp didn't set up too deep. Lots of loose screening is still a good option. 3 on each side would have split the opponent' forces.
You might have been able to get away with caging and running but:
There's precious little you can outbash and losing your star player in T1 will never help.

Movie Icons
Basically identical teams.
In this case bashing is a viable option and you want to take advantage of going first to knock them about if possible BUT avoid leaving yourself open to retaliation
GENERAL PRINCIPLE: don't leave an elf next to a standing opponent at the end of your turn (there are plenty of exceptionsbut I think you could benefit from trying that out as a default setting).
T1: you can block diagonally along the LOS to give yourself multiple shots at taking the opps down (block with the skilled players first).
Don't be afraid to foul (and get your players to gather round and assist) -this is something of a philosophical argument but most playes on fumbbl will be quite happy to foul and be fouled where it's useful.
For the rest of the game: you had some moments but take a look at what your opponent did to you: just watch it again as if that was your team.

Hope that's some help.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2010 - 07:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh Yeah... and the [A]cademy tends not to get much traffic from experienced coaches so sch questions might get more responses in the General Chat or Tactics fora.. though some people will just trawl anything Wink -and I just bumped this to the last 3 topics at the top of the page.

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2010 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate the advice Timlagor. I feel like I am slowly getting better, just havent quite gotten over the hump yet. Ill keep at it!
 Jump to: