29 coaches online • Server time: 11:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EagleX16

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:03 Reply with quote Back to top

So a few years ago I played FUMBBL on my home computer. It worked okay until one day it froze, and after trying everything on the old model(Xp, but the computer was like 6 years old at the time) I had to shut down. It ruined our computer. Apparently Java destroyed/removed a file neccessary to run my OS and we had to pay to get it checked out and fixed. Now I'm on a better computer (my bro's laptop: Gateway with Vista and fully updated Java). Should I be worried about this issue happening again, because I have yet to download the client again.

PS when I had it I could never get my team to load on the client. tips w/ that?
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly, never heard of this happening as a result of either of the FUMBBL clients.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Coincidence is not causation, EagleX16.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

never heard of it. just get the client and go!!!
EagleX16

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, i got the client. I attempted to open the executable jar file. something about a corrupted slash image came up. it opened to a grey screen and wouldn't close after hitting x a billion times. a bar saying "exit game" came up. I hit yes. the grey screen stayed up. nothing would close it. we had to dive into the heart of my bro's computer to finally exit from it.
I hate to whine and moan about it not working, but is there anything I'm doing wrong?
This is what happened when it crashed my computer a few years ago. One day it just went grey screen and we shut it off with the game still running. Please help.
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Highly unlikely that the crash you experienced was even remotely related to Java or the BB-client.
The_Magnificent

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Java destroyed your computer ?

I personally have never heard of such a thing. And ive worked with with computers for a long time btw.
Regarding the client, its totally harmless do your computer.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

i'd put money on virus or spyware issues...run malwarebytes

--j

ImageImage
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing a game in the [F] division to start with (or spectating one). It uses the latest ruleset, and doesn't require any downloads. If that works, try again the SkiJunkie client.

PS the error you mention sounds like you just "installed" the patch, and not the base install first. It can be a bit tricky to install at times. If you install from the windows executable, you it is just one file. If you install from the zip files, you need TWO of them.

Also to stop programs running: hit "ctrl+alt+del" then kill the job from there.

Oscar Wilde
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 18:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Corrupted splash image error means that you only got the 8.9 patch. Get the 8.8a full install first, then apply the 8.9 patch to that.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

EagleX16 wrote:
ok, i got the client. I attempted to open the executable jar file. something about a corrupted slash image came up. it opened to a grey screen and wouldn't close after hitting x a billion times. a bar saying "exit game" came up. I hit yes. the grey screen stayed up. nothing would close it. we had to dive into the heart of my bro's computer to finally exit from it.
I hate to whine and moan about it not working, but is there anything I'm doing wrong?
This is what happened when it crashed my computer a few years ago. One day it just went grey screen and we shut it off with the game still running. Please help.

I've just upgraded my computer and had the very same issue trying to reinstall the client but think I've finally got it sorted. Haven't played a game yet of course but can spectate ok.

As Grod stated if you use the lovely new client then you don't have to worry about all that nonsense though. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

First time I've ever heard of this. And as most people will tell you I'm Fumbbls local computer wiz.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
Highly unlikely that the crash you experienced was even remotely related to Java or the BB-client.

Welcome back to you too! where's your blog/forum post? Razz

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2010 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Frankenstein wrote:

Welcome back to you too! where's your blog/forum post? Razz

Thx, but it's merely severe time constraints (and technical issues on top of that) for me, just had my first week off in like 9 months, will probably phase out again soon. So I've neither really quit nor returned Wink
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 06, 2010 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

But according to your joining date, you are a new member........

Locked.
 Jump to: