53 coaches online • Server time: 13:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ithilkir

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Now this may seem bizzare and probably utterly useless to the vast majority of users.. But I'd like it Very Happy

A calculation of 'paces' rushed and thrown Smile

The BB pitch is split into paces (same as yards.. 100 paces = the length of the pitch), now the game pitch is roughly 4 paces per square.. Would it be possible to calculate at the end of the match the number of paces the ball has been thrown by each player and the number of paces rushed with the ball (towards the endzone rather than just towards the lines).

Bit daft, but I'd like it for the basic reason of fluff Smile
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree wholehartedly... It would be a truly cool stat to keep... make it even more like football. It would be nice to say you have a 1000 yard rusher for the season Wink But to be honest... In my mind the greatest stats to have would be: Blocks Thrown, Block Success %, Cas / Block.

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooooooooh, cunning idea. Me like Smile

Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2003 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This has been asked before. Skijunkie said hw would be happy to add the stat, but you have to tell him how to calculate it. ie: do you only count squares moved towords the goal? Do you subtract squares moved away? I don't remember his whole post, but that was the idea. Come up with a detailed list of how to calculate what counts as yardage and he said he would add it.

The Finishing Touch
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2003 - 01:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly the same as for football...

Example: A thrower picks up the ball at the "30 yard line", in order to get free for a pass he drops back 2 squares, and waits for next turn.

Two Possibilities:

1) He's blitzed and knocked over (So his stat for that drive is minus 2squares rushed)

2) The next turn he steps 3 squares toward opponents endzone and tries to throw and its incomplete/fumbled. (So his stat for turn drive is +1 square rushed).

3) He steps forward 3 sqaures and throws a 9 square pass to a receiver. (Thrower: stats are +1 rush, and +9 pass Receiver: 9 square reception).

So basically what you need to do is (conceptually not technically)... When a player plays the ball(picked up, or he begins the turn with it) an imaginary line width wise across the field is created (call it the line of scrimmage or wtf u want). Where the turn ends, be it a score or a turnover, you take the lengthwise difference from the start position to the end of possession.

So yes, if a player jogs back with the ball and end up behind his LOS he will have a negative rush for that turn. Unless he's tackled, he's likely to come forward in the next turn to pass or maneuver. Side-to-side movement is irrellevant. The only thing that counts towards rushing and passing yards is end-to-end movement.

The only real problem you will have is passing backwards, it would have to count negatively against yer thrower under this system, even if the receiver brought it back over the line.

If this makes sense great. If not, dont worry... after re-reading it i'm confused too Smile