14 coaches online • Server time: 06:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Secret Draft Leaguegoto Post Reduce amount of CAS...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Panda_

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Yes, I've several issues with FFB on my Gnome desktop Linux (Ubuntu 10.04).

I have the following problems
  • Q: Using Linux and the Gnome Desktop a white bar appears at the bottom of the screen, prohibting the use of the chat. (A: This is a known issue with Gnome and the Java JDesktopPane (InternalFrames) in that Gnome renders a toolbar inside the application. The only workaround at the moment is to use a different Desktop (e.g. KDE) or Windowmanager. )
  • Java uses lot's of ressources. Is there some memory leaks ?
  • I've a problem with sounds. There is a delay between actions and sound. The delay increase over time. The more strange is that I can still hear FFB sounds after I closed the client.

Due to those problems, I didn't start playing with the FFB client (I was just spectating some games). Has those issues been solved ?

java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm sticking to LRB4 as long as possible, so I haven't played any FFB games. Does the sound-delay also happen while spectating? I have no issues with sound while spectating. And for the white bar; You can still use chat, by clicking in the white area to the right, and typing in your message, only thing is that you can't see what you have typed.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

the problem with the white bar at the bottom can't be solved by java. It is a problem of the Gnome Desktop and hasn't been fixed by now (i will try the newest java version, when my VM is set up in a few minutes). Perhaps a checkbox would help, which increases the height of the window optionally by about 30px. Gnome users could enable this to get a better view on the window.
There are no leaks in java (one main difference to c++). The garbage collector (gc) is running all the time and frees all space from resources, that are not referenced at this point. So the amount of memory seems to be used by the ffb itself. Using 64-bit increases the amount of used space in comparison to a 32-bit OS. On my 64-bit Windows a game takes about 120mb of memory.
I have never experienced sound problems. Perhaps your driver is configured wrong. (doesn't help, but perhaps knowing, that this is odd, helps, too)

Greets,
gan
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I heard something about that white bar being a gnome toolbar panel or something like that which Gnome adds to all windows to show information. I did a google for "remove gnome toolbar" and found several ways to do it, maybe you could try something like that?

I don't have an ubuntu machine to test this with, so cannot help you with the issue.

As for the sound, i heard someone else having problems with sounds when running linux, this is because different OS handles the java-sounds differently and coding for them all specifically is hard.
As far as i know, it works for most users. If you try to disable sounds, does this affect your performance?

The pros of using Java is that it runs on most OS:s, the cons is that it might not run perfectly.
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a work-around in my blog, if you are running Mint/Ubuntu/Gnome all you have to do is switch window managers. It's not hard, and it's easy to switch back and forth as needed.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

it is not that easy, it seems. I can't remove the toolbar at the bottom using the hints from the threads found by google.
I tried to remove the whole gnome-panel, but this doesn't work either - the bar is still there. (don't try this, prevents a lot of trouble)

Greets,
gan
gandresch

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

ignatzami wrote:
There's a work-around in my blog, if you are running Mint/Ubuntu/Gnome all you have to do is switch window managers. It's not hard, and it's easy to switch back and forth as needed.

Using another desktop manager is simple and maybe for now the only possibility to work with the "feature".
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2010 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for trying at least gandresch.
Eddy

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2010 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Switching window managers for one application is a big no-no and shouldn't even be considered seriously...

Lakrillo wrote:
As for the sound, i heard someone else having problems with sounds when running linux, this is because different OS handles the java-sounds differently and coding for them all specifically is hard.
As far as i know, it works for most users. If you try to disable sounds, does this affect your performance?

I have problems with sound, too. It could be a "delay" like mentioned, but the way I experienced it, it feeled like some sounds were skipped and others repeated. Probably a problem with the buffer. Then again, maybe it's just a misinterpretation and it is, in fact, delay. I spectate games with the sound off, but it's a pain =)

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2011 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the white "bar too. Also my game freezes after 1 move of a player when I spec Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2011 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

mobo wrote:
I have the white "bar too. Also my game freezes after 1 move of a player when I spec Sad

The second problem is related to sound. If you turn off sounds in-game, then the game won't freeze. Alternatively, if you follow the instructions mentioned in the following thread, then you can play / spec with sound. Smile

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19455&start=15

Oscar Wilde
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2011 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Easy work around for the white bar and chat;
Click chat display area, press TAB, chat away.
mobo

Post   Posted: Feb 18, 2011 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Installed Kubuntu

Changed the script to

cd /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin
sudo mv java java.bin
sudo touch java
sudo chmod +x java
sudo nano java

#!/bin/bash
padsp /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java.bin "$@"

Works fine now.

Thanks for the help Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2011 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I am experiencing the bar along the bottom and am not a Gnome user. (I am using OpenBox)

I do not have any other window manager installed and have no desire to install a Desktop Environment like KDE.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Apr 15, 2011 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you're screwed then.

I installed XFCE and the client works fine. Sound is a little screwy but I can manage. It's really a minor pain to endure in order to play BB!
 Jump to: