17 coaches online • Server time: 05:21
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a thought.

Once FFB goes live, perhaps it might be an idea to keep an FFB test division (easy enough to make it the current one).

The idea being, whenever an FFB update comes out, or if the developers want to test their update before releasing it across an official division, they do it in the testing division. They can restrict FFB updates for any official divisions to stable versions. I suppose that even when FUMBBL is officially FFB, there will still be some updating going on in the client for a time to come.

This probably creates some extra work in management, but may prevent some problems in the long run. It also allows testers to keep looking for bugs in an unofficial division.

I guess this is one for Kalimar and Lakrillo to decide. I am sure they know from experience that solving 1 bug can sometimes lead to 1 or 2 more unpredictable ones...

Oscar Wilde
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

oh jesus christ...

--j

ImageImage
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't really see the need for this. The FFB-crew test the client enough before releasing it to the public.
Skolopender

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
oh jesus christ...

--j

What does PeteW have to do with this?

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod, people may have been willing to play 'unranked' games to test a new client, but you won't have enough numbers to justify an actual division for new editions. Bugs will come out as they come out. Admit it, this is an attempt to become the guy with the most posts ever, isn't it? Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

There will also be the acamedy division in time, and the option to play on your own once all is done and dusted, so you can test bugs there if you think you have found one, and academy would exist obviously so the games have no effect to your CR

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

FFB test teams must DIE!

So has the great prophet fortold and so it will be!

But thy will be granted the gift of names... So not all is lost.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2010 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

No need, there is a test: function built into the FFB client.
On1

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the test function does not work, in that case Razz (unless you are talking about something different)

Like let's say people are playing 6.2 You can't just test 6.3 in a specific division the way it's set up now. I guess what Grod is saying, is that he would like to give some of his time to help test the bugs before a release.

Edit: uhm wooow... this thread looked brand new to me, in the forum thingy... Missed the fact that it was 2 months old.

Last edited by On1 on %b %15, %2011 - %10:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
Like let's say people are playing 6.2 You can't just test 6.3 in a specific division the way it's set up now.

Yes, that was the idea. For example, Kalimar deciding to reopen the FFB division again before going live, was exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. It was up to Kalimar to decide if he wanted to do it that in the future, but he doesn't, so point is mute.

I do think from a management point of view, as the FFB is going official without being complete, it makes sense for some sort of beta procedure before switching official divisions to new updates. I can tell you from experience that it is very easy to introduce new bugs when fixing old ones, and VERY hard to find them for yourself.

But anyways, obviously old threads like this are just being reopened because we have nothing better to do while we wait for the release!!!

Oscar Wilde
Calthor

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 10:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
But anyways, obviously old threads like this are just being reopened because we have nothing better to do while we wait for the release!!!

So true. We're all just waiting...
ger0nim0

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I find the answer to my question here:
- Should I delete all my Beta-FFB teams?
- Will this division get closed completely?
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG! 1. as you wish 2. yes

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your patience and this polite answer.
It seems, you were more lucky in finding an answer to those questions.
smokingmonkee

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing those team names are gone completely then?
 Jump to: