29 coaches online • Server time: 08:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What's your Blood Bowl Style?
I play to kill and maim
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
I like a hard hitting game. I enjoy causing casualties, but winning is most important.
22%
 22%  [ 22 ]
I like both hard hitting and spectacular ball handling, thats why I have different teams.
50%
 50%  [ 49 ]
To me making lovely looking plays and scoring a lot of TDs is most important, casualties are just an unfortunate side effect of me setting up my plays.
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
I abhor casualties. Both receiving them and inflicting them reduces my enjoyment of the game.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I love to see small green things flying through the air. Gobbos forever!
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 98

driggsd

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the biggest thing that everyone has to remember is this game is set up to allow other coaches to hurt your team. How-ever this is not to say that this is an end all. when I first started playing BB 4 years ago I was out to cause CAS because it was easier. But it took me very little time to realised that this does not win match's. It is very simple strategy to block and blitz, harder to do real ball handeling.
So what does this mean? Well basicly it is a chalenge. The easy teams like Orc or Undead are realy for beginers. Pro's play to win matches not hurt the other teams. (note that this is different in closed league play) So if you think you got the goods then play "weaker" teams. I have seen a winning Halfling team here in London but it took the coach 40 games to get there.
And to the coaches out there that are playing against the "killer" teams....... HELLO STUPID!...... you only have your self to blame. When you set up for a match check out there team and look at the history. If you don't then you only have yourself to blame.
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 03:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone seems to be focusing ingame when it comes to this issue, but my gripe is with what is going on outside the games.

Under normal circumstances, whether or not someone accepts a challenge or not is largely up to the two coaches involved. One says yea or nay and that's the end of it.

When this all started I noticed a much different tone in chat. It became an issue for the masses, and the cheering and jeering involved boiled down to one thing: peer pressure. It reminded me (unpleasantly) of the behavior of kids on the 3rd grade playground. You can talk about honor, cowardice, or fair challenges and whatever else, but in the end it's just an excuse to nag and goad coaches into matches that the may simply not want to play.

Yes i am aware that this sort of public jeering happens in fumbbl chat from time to time anyway. However it seems to have increased quite a lot since the inception of this Union.
FatherDagon

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 05:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to say something regarding all those coaches who apparently like to play teams TR 100+ below their own.

What's the point? If I were to face my Chaos vs some newbie team there would probably not be anything left of them... Same thing goes for high-TR basher/one-turner teams who play against obviously inferior teams.

It's like if I want to pick a fight and.... YEAH let's clobber those five-year-olds over there "HAHAHAHA oooooohh I am so mighty and strong look at me!!! I am crushing this poor defenceless little child." I find it quite pathetic actually... Ok so you can always turn down such a challenge, but why make it in the first place? Doesn't really fit in my frame of mind.

My favourite matches are those where I felt I really had to muster all my skills and reserves of positive energy to win. I revel in the challenge of the game not so much in winning... even though it makes it sweeter if such match ends in my favour!

One shouldn't forget that some teams will have very few options on how to win a match once they enter the higher ratings. Dancing prancing sissy elfs have little chance of playing any other way than touch-bowl. Soft elfs on hard chaos ironclad knuckles usually obliterate into pulp if they ever get hit.....

I dont think PO/RSC should be banned. I do think it is quite silly to make it standard to put it on each and every possible player in a Chaos team. Well.... BORING.... is perhaps the word I am looking for.

The problem is that it takes many matches for a team to create good players, and it isn't fun to see half a dozen of 100SPP players die in one match. Dying is probably the main problem of the game. If players did not get killed we wouldnt be having this discussion. It would then not be the end of the world if a Chaos team put all 16 pansies of a Woodie team on a long hot serrated skewer and barbecued them slowly with a spicy mixture of..... ehem...er... got a bit carried away there Wink

What do people think about the "Killed" result? Is it an integral part of BB or could we do without it?
BloodRunners

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

The problem is that it takes many matches for a team to create good players, and it isn't fun to see half a dozen of 100SPP players die in one match. Dying is probably the main problem of the game. If players did not get killed we wouldnt be having this discussion. It would then not be the end of the world if a Chaos team put all 16 pansies of a Woodie team on a long hot serrated skewer and barbecued them slowly with a spicy mixture of..... ehem...er... got a bit carried away there

What do people think about the "Killed" result? Is it an integral part of BB or could we do without it?

Its only not fun for the guy losing the people. Its a hoot for me!!
I think death result is the only way to keep the game from getting way out of hand. Whats there left to play for once all 16 players are legends.
FatherDagon

Post   Posted: Jun 29, 2003 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes BloodRunners, I agree with you. I see that my statement is very open to misinterpretation so let me emphasize that I do enjoy "retiring" a silly player from the opposition now and then Twisted Evil . I also agree that it would be quite silly to have 2000 teams filled with 150+ SPP players. What I meant was that I believe the root of the "problem" probably lies within the risk of players getting killed or maimed at all.

Perhaps there ought to be an alternate ladder division for those who want to play SoftBowl? Kinda' like the ladder. I know that I personally wouldn't play in a division like that because it takes away a lot of the fun in playing for me. The ladder, as it stands today, being the exception due to teams being completely static.
Maniac0301

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2003 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a very simple rule for choosing opponents or accepting challenges. I will play any team that is within 10% strength of mine. I believe Blood Bowl to be balanced very well and if the outcome of the game is poor for me I was either outcoached or had very bad luck.
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2003 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, what is this discussion about.

Again it comes down to there mere fact that some coaches hit hard and some don´t.

If you are not afraid of loosing your players, you can hit hard with every team. There are enough doubles on skill rolls to get non-strength teams enough guards to withstand most strength teams.

Hell, you can even block an ogre with a gobbo if you play it down well... you just need 4 assists.

Ah well... I´m too tired and I don´t think I get the point.

For EMU coaches:
Write me a PM if you want a match with my dark elves in open, maybe you will succeed where BunnyPuncher failed Wink
Dark: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=12393

Jump to: