43 coaches online • Server time: 18:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KenThis

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

i prefer to think that when a ref is bribed (particularly by goblin teams) its not so much a payment to the ref in question, but rather the promise of the team to spend that much on hiring some "professionals" to visit the family homestead should the ref see anything he shouldn't...
but that may just be that my immediate recourse when faced with a problem is to work out how to solve it with judicious use of hitmen..
as a thought experiment only mind you.
i'm not a criminal mastermind.
yet.
Panda_

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

That way, you can sneak your year of birth in your team bio.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Is that a "it's only fantasy!" point? Wiith that attitude we may aswell throw the boardgame on the ground and declare it gods intervention.

LOL I've seen someone do that too!

anyway, the reason why TV is in the thousands and not the hundreds, and why gold flows like water into the millions is because vault rules come from Galak Starscraper. and Galak is an american. And America's premiere state is Texas.

and in Texas, we like everything extra big.

case closed.

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

and just what is the Pope doing in your mind??
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2011 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:
Hmm... fantasy economics, one of my favorite subjects.

A thought experiment:

Gate is measured by the two teams both rolling 2d6+FF * 1000, which gives us a total of 4d6+FF+FF * 1000. If FF's average 8 (7 for less faring and 9 for more faring teams), this means that on average there are 14 [4d6] + 8 + 8 = 30 gate, which means an average attendance of 30 000 members of the crowd.

Winnings comes apparently from the ticket sales. Winnings are for the winner 0,5 * (4+5+6)/3 + 0,5 * (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6 + 1[not losing]. For the loser, winnings are (1+2+3+4+5+6)/6. Somebody gets about 1 of FAME. in total this comes to (0,5 * 5 + 0,5 * 3,5 + 1) + (3,5) + (1) = 9,75. Winnings is measured in 10 000 gold pieces, which makes the average earnings per attendands to be 97 500 / 30 000 = 3,25 gold pieces.

The price of a ticket - How much is it the then? Both the earnings and the attendance vary quite much. The gate is a 4d6 roll and winnings is a (2..3)d6 roll. We could think that the share of paying customers vary with the differing 1d6. Perhaps the audience can bring their families freely with them or perhaps it is that much easier to sneak into the stadium without payment when there is more of the crowd. Other fantasy economists may offer different theories about this factor, input is welcomed.

With 1d6 of randomness the average case is 3,5, the highest case is 6 and the lowest case is 1. Relatively the highest case then is 6/3,5 = 1,7 and the lowest case is 1/3,5 = 0,3. We could therefore theoretize that the price of a ticket is 6 gp (6/3,5 * 3,25), but the sneaking factor can lower the net per attendand to low point of 1 gp (1/3,5 * 3,25) giving the average result of 3,25 gp.

A ticket to a sport match costs about 6 gps in the Blood Bowl Fantasy Universe we can therefore guess. This could mean that a BB gp is in about par with modern day coaches euro, dollar or pound with a factor between 9 and 1/9.

Other opinions are highly welcomed! Smile

Spent the day waiting for the FFBox release and thinking this through some more. If I was a stadium owner, I'd look at this differently.

Assuming stadiums accept teams of all popularity levels, you need to look at average attendances per combined fan factor. This runs from 14k for combined FF0, up to 50k for combined FF36 (the max possible). Assuming a fixed gate price no matter the teams involved (an over-simplification for sure; can you tell I'm an economist?), I'd only be interested in the least popular teams, since they'd run the risk of bringing the least people.

The average gate for those, least popular, teams is 14,000 people.

The amount I have to pay out to the teams ranges from 3,000 up to 16,000 gold pieces, with an average (assuming 1 FAME, and a win/loss scenario rather than a draw) 9000 being paid out, or 10000 in the case of a draw. Lets say 10000 just to be safe.

In this case, for an average turnout for two unknown teams you'd need to set your ticket price to around 0.7 of a gold piece to break even. A 1gp ticket would give you a 4000gp profit.

Even if you were a risk averse stadium owner, and wanted to make sure you could never lose any money on a game, you could break even with a 4gp ticket price (that is, an attendance of 4,000 and a maximum payout of 16,000), although I'd suspect that competition would probably drive prices down to nearer the averages (so a 1gp ticket).

Of course, you'd have other costs; but you'd also have other receipts presumably. Plus this is looking at the very least popular teams. You could make more with more popular teams.

See what happens when I'm left alone, waiting for the FFBox release? Crying or Very sad
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2011 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
anyway, the reason why TV is in the thousands and not the hundreds, and why gold flows like water into the millions is because vault rules come from Galak Starscraper. and Galak is an american. And America's premiere state is Texas.

and in Texas, we like everything extra big.

case closed.
Actually I don't know who started doing it in thousands. I still do it in hundreds.

My league: http://www.midgardbb.com/MBBL/index.php?show=TeamList

Look at how I have the ratings showing ... in hundreds not thousands ... so it wasn't my idea.

Tom/Galak
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2011 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Actually I don't know who started doing it in thousands. I still do it in hundreds.

My league: http://www.midgardbb.com/MBBL/index.php?show=TeamList

Look at how I have the ratings showing ... in hundreds not thousands ... so it wasn't my idea.

Tom/Galak

Please find the person responsible and help me murder them. The extra zero is.... ick Sad

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2011 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

this thread is super fael ... arguing the reality and economics of a ... wait for it ... a fantasy game!

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2011 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Pythrr... you mis-spelled 'fail' again.

Internally consistent reality is a hall-mark of even decent fiction. A fantasy game SHOULD make sense. If a carpenter would work for $10 a day, what bracket would an entertainer be in?

However, (and here is where you epically fail (to use your nomenclature)), this discussion is not about the fantasy game, but our description of it. No character in the BloodBowl world mentions TV, just us, so why not keep it simpler?

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2011 - 23:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The real reason is that I forgot to add the 'k' suffix in many places. It's just shortened somewhat to make it easier to read.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2011 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The "0k" at the end are not neccessary, because every team has it. So i totally agree with Galak.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2011 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

but 0k is ok Smile
Reisender

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2011 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmm if a ticket is sth like 6 gp, i want to become a chef or a bloodweiser babe in the bloodbowl world. best a halfling chef married to three bloodweiser babes.

A match would bring us 250 000 gp then, which would mean entry to more than 40 000 blood bowl matches,
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2011 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

that's probably who originally fronted the money to start the team. remember, that takes 1 million gold pieces. Obviously, it's all the babes and dirty refs that own teams. oh...and Helmet Wulf...I think he owns about 50 teams. Perhaps he's related to Ted Turner.

case closed....

again.

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2011 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Beedogs

Stella for President!!

Need a new challenge? Here's all the challenge you will ever need.

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19352
 Jump to: