37 coaches online • Server time: 09:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
odi

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2011 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I do think that Academy division would need FFB client as soon as possible. It's just that since the new client is easiest to get started with, most of the new coaches will start their career in Blackbox. Academy would be a perfect place for them to start learnign the ropes, instead of the steep learning curve in B.

I'm pretty sure we've had some new coaches who've played a few games in B and will propably not come back to fumbbl because the RND Generator clearly is broken Smile We wouldnt want to loose any potential coaches, would we?

Also, I dont think people will mind too much, even if their A teams would be reset or even retired (ofcourse I'm wrong on this). So it shouldnt be as complicated as Ranked or League division.

Just my thoughts...
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2011 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy is slated ot move about the same time as R according to the GLN article (possibly thnis weekend)

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So R and B are now working on FFB and the admins are doing a great job ! Does anyone knows more about a move to FFb for [A] ?
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Only Christer knows, it probably will go at the same time as League.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I hope it'll be soon. I was hoping to convert a few friends to FUMBBL, but neither [R] or [B] are suitable places to teach newcomers. And there's little point in using the old client and ruleset to practice.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 19:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

this does need to happen soonest.

I cant see the issue with doing it now.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy will need to be changed somewhat in my opinion. If we use the current idea of limiting teams to a certain TV (TV1400 for example) will just encourage people to min/max to destroy newbies in safety.
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:18 Reply with quote Back to top

would people really do that? Shocked

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Limit it to the first x number of games instead, as TV alone is not a fair matchup system (amply proven by Blackbox).

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
would people really do that? Shocked

Min/max'ing or not, lessons like this might await newcomers: Hi

I doubt TV limits is gonna stop newcomers from getting destroyed in Academy. Inexperience will probably cause the most damage.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i do not think people would destroy noobs in academy. i would use it to explain the client and basic rules to some friends, too.
justagigolo

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think it is all that great of an idea to limit it by number of games either. This would make it far more inconvenient for people to keep an academy team rolling to help the new players. Not that many people are going to be willing to help a new player if they have to keep creating new teams to do so. If the teams could be marked for non progression, that might be a potential solution. Otherwise I would think the honor system and shame of one's peers would be the best way to go.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2011 - 01:00
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think the danger of experienced coaches fielding player killing min/max type teams in Academy is minimal, but if such a thing were to happen I would be happy to deal with it. Few experienced coaches bother to play in Academy, and for the most part they approach it with the right attitude.
Colin

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2011 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to dust off the Faculty of Academy Instructors and welcome such experienced coaches to join.

Post   Posted: May 17, 2011 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy? FFB? Soon?

Or has League absorbed the function of Academy? I've been gone a while, so I might've missed it