19 coaches online • Server time: 02:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vanGorn

Post 16 Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

In ranked there exist a thread for recovery games, not so in unranked.
Unranked teams suffer from massacres, too. So I decided to start such a similar thread in this place.

Many unranked teams cannot play a recovery match, because they participate in a tournament and have no fitting opponents. Well they have to go through it Twisted Evil.
But there are also many free vagabound teams in unranked.

I bet, you aren't surprised that I have such a team:
The Virtual Glade Dragons have fought some bitter matches so far.

Kanzo

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Recovery games are illegal!!! Don't talk about them, or you'll be banned...

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Contrary to popular belief I don't think the administration are a bunch of Nazis.

This isn't the vault forum. Freedom of speech is allowed Laughing

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Kanzo has been baned so I guess I know what motivates his post.
Azurus

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My DEs, the Shadowland Sabretooths could usually do with a recovery game. (9 players next game - and that seems like a lot these days)

I had wondered why there was no recovery thread in divU, but was too lazy to start one.
Kanzo

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Kanzo has been baned so I guess I know what motivates his post.
Apart of my banned period, really the commish think that to play
recovery games goes against the fair play rules

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

That depends on what you mean by recovery games. Most people mean 'a game against a similarly beat-up team', which is fine. It's when you actually agree to not foul/limit blocking or whatever that they frown upon it.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

What exactly is a "recovery game".

Is it when both sides agrees not to block each other and to score every second turn? Thats definitiately cheating.
Or is it just cherry picking an elf team opponent? Then i dont see anything wrong with it.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah, the reason someone would say a 'recovery game' is against fair play rules is because some people have different interpretations of what a 'recovery game' is. If your poor elf team is down to 8 players due to 4 MNG from your last match vs dwarves is it so unreasonable to try to find another elf team with 8 or 9 players for their next game, rather than jumping right in against a 14 man chaos team laden with Claw/RSC and MB, if they have the choice? (If anyone thinks it is, I seriously pity their offspring! In fact, I would possibly consider THAT sort of game against the rules, as an attempt to give the chaos team easy casualty SPP...)

Recovery matches of this type are pretty much the only thing that makes soft teams actually playable in the long term at the TR that teams can get to on Fumbbl...

The problem arises when people consider (and some people DO) a 'recovery match' a nice friendly game between two teams that agree to mostly avoid blocking and just score so that neither team gets hurt. This is a fixed match and is definitely against the rules. But two sub 11 player elf teams beating it out trying to win a FAIR match up without getting too decimated by superior numbers/bash skills is just common sense.

Of course, in a lot of U tourneys recovery matches are not an issue due to fixed tourney schedules. But keep in mind the LRB Open Format League setup - made so that if a team is badly beaten they can avoid a match if they want (by Substitute or Refusal) although it will possibly cost them points towards getting into the semifinals.

EDIT: Another thing that comes to mind is the difference between 'recovery' and 'rebuilding.' A team that has 4 MNG and so only 8 players needs a 'recovery match.' A team that has 8 players period needs some 'rebuilding' over a series of matches. (This could be relevant between tourneys in Unranked) However, the same idea applies to a rebulding phase - if you can find 5 games in a row against similarly numbered opposing teams, good for you - but they still have to be fair games, no pre-arranged 'go easy on 'em' nonsense!

The main point is this: Be it recovery or rebuilding, the game must remain fair. People need to realize that even a recovery or rebuilding game can be absolutely crippling if the dice go against you. There is no 'safe' game of Blood Bowl!

Last edited by CorporateSlave3 on %b %16, %2004 - %16:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Mnemon

"Recovery game" = game against eaqually beat up team, but played out regularly. That is, even if it is a "recovery" game both coaches should play to win. No reduced number of blocks, no holding back on fouling, no free touchdowns or spps, just two teams with a reduced number of starting players playing against each other.

Everything else is, and should be, unacceptable.

-Mnemon
Azurus

Tricktickler wrote:

Or is it just cherry picking an elf team opponent? Then i dont see anything wrong with it.

As far as I'm concerned, not even that. A game against a team with the same number of players will usually cut it for me.

Other than that, the game should be exactly like a normal game.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2004 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The Virtual Glade Dragons have 6 players for next match, including a niggling injured catcher. The intension is to find a similar opponent team so a interesting match can be played. Blocks, fouls ,touchdowns etc are part of the game. Recovery matches are no exception.

Jump to: