70 coaches online • Server time: 23:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I just played a game where I dropped for some reason. Now I dont think the reason I dropped was anything to do with the client or site, it is probably my computer.

But why doesnt the timer stop when people drop connection. When I returned my opponent had ended my turn. Which basically cost me the win because it gave my opponent an easy touch down.

I have dropped a couple of times in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Each time the timer continued. The other two games my opponents continued to play on without me as well but because it was so early on in the game we cancelled those games. This really doesnt seem right to me.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Then your opponent should be ashamed of himself for using this to prevent a loss.

I believe the word is douche Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree, but why doesnt the timer stop? It shouldnt be open to exploitation.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure when I drop or if my opponent drops it freezes the game? Maybe get more skills that require your intervention (SS, Dodge, Tents, Etc). Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played in games when my opponent has dropped to and it has frozen the game too, but i have also played in games when it hasnt frozen when my opponent dropped. But it never freezes when I drop.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same problem, I was disconnected during a long time and my opponent ended my turn 4 times. What was clear win for me changed into a tie, then admin canceled the game as I told them to do it.
The time should stop when u disconnect, this should be solved asap, but until that happens it would be nice if people dont end others turns while they are disconnected. I ll keep cancelling my games in that happens to me even if I am winner. It is really sad that there are coaches using this to win games.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed that sometimes it resets the timer?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

That seems to happen when both people drop. It starts the turn from the begining again. I think that is when the drop is caused on the server side. Which isn't perfect but its a lot better than being timed out when you arent there.

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

some one did that to me as well i disconected and he ended my turn
Qaz

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

srjuanone wrote:
I had the same problem, I was disconnected during a long time and my opponent ended my turn 4 times. What was clear win for me changed into a tie, then admin canceled the game as I told them to do it.
The time should stop when u disconnect, this should be solved asap, but until that happens it would be nice if people dont end others turns while they are disconnected. I ll keep cancelling my games in that happens to me even if I am winner. It is really sad that there are coaches using this to win games.

How do you cancel your game?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
srjuanone wrote:

How do you cancel your game?

Go to the admin channel as he said and explain the situation.

I think the timer should stop too. Or play in a major where you have lots of specs. That will most likely prevent the other person to press the turn marker since he will be booed at for the rest of his life.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

It might take a while for the client to realize that you are gone (like a ping timeout on irc). Just a guess.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

from a networking perspective, this isn't entirely possible to "fix asap"...when system A drops connection from system B, it is not always immediately apparent to both sides...there can be plenty of situations where system A will drop, and system B thinks that the other side is still active, and is continuing to send traffic...start adding in a 3-directional conversation or more directional(like how FFB interacts), and it becomes much more complex...

for this problem to be fixed asap, would require that the FFB team also start to overhaul the TCP/IP protocol stack...doubt that's going to happen....

that being said, i'm not saying that it's not impossible to improve the issue, but a "fix" probably won't happen...

--j

ImageImage
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The client is designed to stop the timer if one person disconnects. Unfortunately in some rareish cases it doesn't realise.

In these cases the timer keeps going, as it still thinks both players are connected. In most cases the person who times out his opponent also doesn't realise the other person has disconnected as the client hasn't registered the disconnection.

With the new client it is impossible to go backwards like javabowl, and if there isn't a remedy to the situation that both players will agree to, a cancellation of the game is the likely outcome.

If it became apparent that one player was knowingly taking advantage of this situation (it counts as an abusable bug) a coach may be punished.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2011 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

well overhauling tcp/ip would be.... well.. just no..

but i think this should be fixable by using a keep alive ping, if it does not return within a specified amount of time the participant counts as disconnected, the connection gets closed from server side and game freezes

of course setting an appropriate timeout would be a non trivial task but i am sure the think tanks behind the client will figure something out

Jump to: