45 coaches online • Server time: 19:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
markCuz

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, sorry if this is the wrong forum but am suffering some seriously regular crashing in FFB client.
I played Purplechest at the weekend who might be able to verify (?) but my most recent match suffered about 10 crashes in the first 4 turns of the game!

I'm currently running build 1.6.0_24-b07 of Java and windows 7 x64. If any more information will help please let me know.

I've just enabled logging in Java also so can hopefully add some more detail if/when I play again.

Thanks in advance
Mark
Malerun

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you tried to reproduce the crashes in standalone mode? See here for how to start the client in standalone mode: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=433823#433823
markCuz

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

cheers mate, i'll give that a try
markCuz

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

oh well, that didn't seem to work (well, it did) no sign of a crash at all in a game against myself so must be connection related i guess?
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

yes

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

crashes like it freezes or like it shuts down?

The usual reason for a client shut down is the loss of connectivity with the server. If you have an unstable internet connection the client will shut down every time your connection with the server is cut. Might also be an issue with your firewall settings.

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been having similar problem. It IS likely a connection issue, but its strange cos mine is usually rock solid.
Only seems to be in the last couple of days too. Very odd

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The only other thing that is worth trying is turning OFF sounds from the in-game menu and seeing if that improves anything. This is largely a Linux issue, but there have been some spotty reports of Windows users possibly being affected.

Oscar Wilde
zakatan

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

but as far as i know, the sound issue freezes the client instead of shutting it down

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
but as far as i know, the sound issue freezes the client instead of shutting it down

It's not clear that that is not occurring from the original post. Perhaps the OPer can clarify? Also, it is possible that a sound issue would affect a different Java/OS differently, even though in theory it shouldn't.

If you enable the Java Conole, you can select options to see directly and Java messages while you play (hit v to dump the thread stack: look for any exceptions).

Oscar Wilde
markCuz

Post   Posted: Apr 07, 2011 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The client was actually shutting down (would usually freeze for around 5 seconds then close)

I'll keep Java concole open next time I'm on and maybe try the SOUND OFF thing too. Thanks for the guidance.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2011 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Mine is doing the same and I think I narrowed it down to the fact that HydraIRC is open at the same time....

If I close it, I play fine, if its open... it crashes twice a turn.

No idea why... so help would be appreciated.
gandresch

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2011 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, try java 7
I had some problems with the sound, too (win7 x64). After installing Java 7 "pre something" it all worked fine. I use it for work and i didn't find any differences to the 6u24 version except, that the sound is working now Wink

Good luck!
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2011 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

markCuz wrote:
The client was actually shutting down (would usually freeze for around 5 seconds then close)

It has been happening to me more and more each week. It used to be a once a month thing then once a week then once a day now it happens once most games. I dont know why as I never have problems when playing the LRB4 client.

I think for me anyway it is because I get lattency/lag issues as a result of my computer being older than time. But the LRB4 one doesnt kick you out it just lags badly for a minute or two.

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2011 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

mine seems to be working fine now, i think it was most likely due to using a mobile broadband connection but it had worked fine before a couple of weeks earlier. i've been back at home this weekend on a ADSL connection and it works just fine. will report back in a week or so when i'm back on the road...
 Jump to: