63 coaches online • Server time: 21:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
It is very pretty and very nice.

And i switched back to plastic-aubergine. i often forget most people dont already see the site as pretty as we plastic users do.

And I'll be keeping my fumbbl Purple, thanks.

Now i have no choice i feel an idiot for pretending to like it.

And i am sad i cant have fumbbl as pretty as it used to be. And will miss my personal link to the html thread. My news writing will suffer hugely.

+ I cant find anything i want to find.

But i guess ill get used to it. In 5-6 years.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
It is very pretty and very nice.

And i switched back to plastic-aubergine. i often forget most people dont already see the site as pretty as we plastic users do.

And I'll be keeping my fumbbl Purple, thanks.

Now i have no choice i feel an idiot for pretending to like it.

And i am sad i cant have fumbbl as pretty as it used to be. And will miss my personal link to the html thread. My news writing will suffer hugely.

+ I cant find anything i want to find.

But i guess ill get used to it. In 5-6 years.

you can indeed go back to your plastic aubergine, just go to your account settings and select the theme. I already did it, and i have my purple layout again.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it. I didn't think I would. Good job to you and those that helped you design it (if anyone else was involved).

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

are there options to customize the overview? like adding permanent links to certain pages like blackbox central or activation. i've never bothered about it, but i dislike the hovering part on the main options to the left.

WhatBall

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Now i have no choice i feel an idiot for pretending to like it..

Please don't feel you have to pretend to like it. Speak your mind on how to improve it.

I know personal menus are a huge issue, and I miss mine too. I don't doubt they will be coming, it just takes time. I know C was holding off adding a number of elements until he released the beta as it would start to mess up other themes.

The menu system is a work in progress, and there is room for more main level menus if a valid argument can be made for them. Suggestions welcome.

I'm trying to get some mock ups done to fix up the team pages and other elements. Will try and show them to get feedback as well.

As for colours, it would be up to C, but I can't see a huge issue with alternate colour versions of the same theme as it would not negatively effect the layout as other theme variants would.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

People have to realise that having so many different layouts is a huge drawback in developing the site overall.
Bringing it back to only one layout, with or without different colour versions, will give Christer the opportunity to implement new features a lot easier.
koadah

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new theme looks great and will be a great help in terms of first impression for newcomers.

If you can get in a personal menu without rollovers I think that would satisfy most of the site's heavy users.

I think that people are worried that they might lose the other themes before personal menus are available.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

It is quite neat. I am in the webpage developing business, and I will try to leave constructive comments. Much of it is subjective though.

- Can you do a variant where the side pictures are minimal or taken out? (More problem at laptop widescreen.) If your website is interactive or has much business logic you would like the banners and background pictures to be minimal. If you would like to press a feeling or product, then it is a good idea to crop the browsing space.

- Minor issue, I would put the search box inline with messages to the side. Or switched with the donation bar. People generally do not expect the search form at the middle of a header. Also the text could be at the middle vertically in the search form.

- I would recommend you using some css3 features for the site. It really gives a neat 21st century look with minimal effort, like curved corners. All the major browsers do it. (Well except IE bugs, but do not get me started.) Check it out: http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/web-dev/css3.shtml

- The forum quick reply form should be boxed.

- It would be good, if you had a one click link to overview.

- Also it would be nice to have a link to the blackbox central under the game menu.

- The hover highlight of the messages and account is not very readable.

- In the news section, the posts and blogs are shifted from middle to left (bug?)

Keep up the good work, thanks for your efforts!

Sziro
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a question.

On the team pages, there is a black square around the logos, is it possible to remove this?

Oh and the images at the bottom of the screen (the border), could use some colour, right now it's kind of annoying to the eye since the green on the sides make you want to see red there. Maybe instead of having it be a grey scale, have it monochromatic red (similar to the top) so that the pages are framed by red on both sides.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I hate that 'news' and 'blogs' get the same size and prominance on the front page.

One is vital site audited information deemed worthy to havepublic attention.

The other the illeterate musings of anyone with the time to vent their spleen.

Doesn't make me want to waste time crafting news items frankly.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

on the profile page I have pictures. They seem to push the right side table out of the background area.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
koadah

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I hate that 'news' and 'blogs' get the same size and prominance on the front page.

The front page is pretty much obsolete now. We can go directly to our overview/home page to avoid the rollovers. The news is available there.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:

The front page is pretty much obsolete now. We can go directly to our overview/home page to avoid the rollovers. The news is available there.

Yes, we can, but (potential) new members can't, so that page gives them an insight into the site and hence is definitely not obsolete.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

the new home page is designed to be useful i guess, but i agree with PC about the importance given to certain items

Post   Posted: May 22, 2011 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Let me try and answer a few concerns and comments.

@Sziro: thanks for the feedback, very helpful. Above I mentioned a lite variant that should do what you speak of to minimize the background clutter.

The search is where C wanted it, will see what I can do. Just takes some adjustment.

cccs3 sounds good, but C will have to decide on how he is coding it.

The HOME button replaces OVERVIEW, it is one click.

No bug on the left alignnet, there is a 3rd column no in yet, see page 2 mockup in this thread.

@Fouly: The borders are a side-effect of the change over. Will bug C to remove them, they are ugly indeed. Planning on redoing the team pages. (Reminds me, if you have a few sample race logos I could use a few for some mockups, thanks. Just PM me.)

Point taken on the bottom, will investigate toning it.

@Koadah: I think if C gets the personal menus back in soon 80% of the issues will disappear! Wink

@Qaz: Many of the widths of pages with tables are buggered right now. C is going to start fixing them as he goes to each set of pages.

@PC: Check the mock up on page 2 of this thread. Blogs are going to get bumped under you team list and ideally they will be shorter (less lines) to reduce prominence. (Right now they are deceivingly over-represented.) This will make news the big lead still. I know it is burning you up a bit, and I am sorry, but I think blogs are an integral part of the site now in that social media is a big medium now and it helps (some) people feel more involved in the community and that leads to a stronger FUMBBL. Also, the plan is that you will be able to minimize boxes (see the small arrows in the mock up) so you could hide the blogs if you want. Hang in there PC, it is a wip, but all the feedback is helping make it better. I'll even offer up any team of mine in a game with you to exact revenge. Very Happy
 Jump to: