39 coaches online • Server time: 13:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
f_alk

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
"I have played in a tabletop league for six years my information is fact"
No sir, you information is "anecdote" and restricted to your own experience. Not fact at all.

Sir, let me kindly remind you who is the one who needs to deliver:
pythrr wrote:
In tourneys time limits are enforced all the time.

In the case of a universal claim a single factual contradiction is already enough.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Is that an official staff view, or just a woodstock one?

Just me.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

What? Woodstock isn't good enough for you? Eh? EH?! Evil or Very Mad

(or would you prefer harvestmouse and his strange rule interpretations Wink)

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Cyrus-Havoc wrote:
I have never seen a timer used in any Table top game or tournament either.

I press the time-out button unless the opponent has said he needs to go afk for a RL issue. I'm used to the same practice from the local TT league: You can finish the move with the miniature you're currently pinching between your fingers when the timer beeps. But after that is it a turnover. And I expect the same treatment back.

As such i find it more unsportsmanlike to constantly go over the 4min limit than to press the time-out button.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, this thread seems a good place ask:

Is there going to be Code of Conduct about timing out opponents? I could not find any mentions about timeouts in the site rules, but I may of course just looked in the wrong places or misunderstood.

If I remember correctly, there has been at least one publicised case about administrative action regarding timing out, so I feel that there currently is some sort of site policy about this subject. Personally, I find myself intrigued to find out, what it is.

What are the site guidelines for using the time out button? I would appreciate guidance in this matter from the administration. Thank you in advance!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
pythrr wrote:
Is that an official staff view, or just a woodstock one?

Just me.

good good, just checking to make sure we didn't have another house ruling on our hands. Smile Can't be too careful.
belshamharoth

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If i was timed out with no warning i must admit id be inclined to let my opponent end all my turns for me from then on.

I have only been timed out once and it was by a clawpomber enough said Wink

I think its unsporting in general and without a warning is much worse
Corvidius

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Our tabletop league doesn't use a strict 4 minute turn limit and while i've been to tournaments that said to use it there was never any timer or strict enforcement.

Saying that, i have no issue with someone timing me out it's the nearest thing to tabletops illegal procedure rule and serves a similar purpose. In tabletop if you screw up due to illegal procedure then you learn from your mistakes. If you lose due to timeouts in Fumbbl then that will make you play quicker. The purpose of the time limit is to ensure that games take a sensible amount of time to play. I don't think i've ever timed someone out but would warn someone once before doing it just to be polite.

If someone was having connection issues i'd definitely cut them more slack. Smile
KenThis

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

if someone plays an oddly slow turn i ask if there's a problem. if i get no reply or someone says yes they get the benefit of the doubt. otherwise they get timed out. i usually also give someone a warning after their first long turn but don't always depends on the coach and my mood.

if someone plays particularly slowly for a couple of turns i usually ask if they could try to play a little faster. if they can or at least say they'll try then great. if they are rude or then go over 4 mins then they get timed out.
if someone annoys me then goes over 4 mins they get timed out.

further in my situation i am sometimes called away while playing if i can i type brb, if its really urgent i don't always get to. i don't remember someone ever timing me out because i went over 4 mins through being away from keyboard though technically they would be within their rights to. in fact when i have returned I've found apologising and thanking someone for not timing you out goes a long way.

got to say though i have timed someone out to win a game after they played slow all game refused to play any faster and got rude after my polite request and to be honest i'd do it again in a heartbeat.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

belshamharoth wrote:
If i was timed out with no warning i must admit id be inclined to let my opponent end all my turns for me from then on.

You'd be then breaking the site rules.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup. And then Harvestmouse would BANHammer you! Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey gang, just wanted to chime in on this one. With the exception of a real-life situation I am all in favour of the 4 minute turn and it's utilization in one-off games.

4 minutes is a LONG time when your not moving models, rolling dice, calculating assists/guards, figuring out agility rolls, etc etc.

Here we point and click, the client automatically calculates these things for us, moves players off the pitch, moves turn markers.... the list of time-saving auto features goes on and on.

From a role-playing/fluff perspective, I like to envision my games occurring in a "real-time" scenario and unlimited turn-time would defeat that game-speed pressure for me.

Of course this is all just my opinion and I respect all of yours.

Namaste,

Nekross
Severedunit

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just trying to have the last word in this thread.
Severedunit

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2011 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

gacska has played 1030 games since Dec.22,2009.
If his opponents all took 3 minute turns and he took all 2 minute turns, he's spent roughly 1,373 hour actively playing.
If his opponents all took 2 minute turns and he took all 2 minute turns, he'd have spent roughly 1,098 hours actively playing.

Over a year and a half this is a savings of 275 hours or about 11 1/2 days.

I say these villains ARE stealing his life! To arms!
gacska

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2011 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

okay guys of course my writing was a joke, and I used drirectly this manner cause I was corius what are the reactions, and I just wanna a room (with blackbox system) where player wanna play. In the actual game, I even didn't cared about win, cause was slow, and was boring for me. Maybe I'm not patient enough, but I feel very bored when opponetns just wait (not think) about a move for 2 minutes, even if its very stupid move. And this was the real problem in this game, I feeled like my opponet just ddidn't care about the game (so maybe he was reading, or sg else) and sometimes just clicked 1 or 2 in the monitor. I think its very rude, cause this game not against a computer but a human, and if you click on play button then pls wanna really play. (at least say sorry I'm working and can't focus 100% on the game) Of course if he says I need to think or sg like that, then I would be happy cause its an itresting game, but it was really just a bad game (I played very abd cause was nervous, and he was not thinking just played very slow). I like thinking, but I hate when oppo just don't care about playing, its really piss me off.

So my real wish is, when my opp come to play with me, just think about the other too (so yes can chat a little, and focus on the game)

(other site I think time is part of the game, so if you get a very hard turn (which you can't solve in 4 min, then clap to opp)
 Jump to: