38 coaches online • Server time: 13:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pompom

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn suggested the subject.

It is apt though.

I am having issues. For no reason forseeable on my end my java client has stopped working. I have not knowingy changed any settings on my machine.

The Symptom:
I can start a game - i can spectate a game - my opponent can take their first turn of a game - then nothing. I can select a player, select an action, but then can't do anything. I can't even select another player. Everything goes, i can't even chat.

I reinstalled everything java then started another game - same thing. Trouble is i have no idea what is going on and the only way i have to test whether a teak here or there works is to start another game. I don't want to do this as i am locking opponents into games i can't finish.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks
p
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Which operating system?
SirOrange

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been having a similar problem, only I can't even get the game to load. I fixed it by doing a system restore and then updating java to the latest version. The bad news is; I don't know what causes this problem and I don't know if this is a temporary fix or not since it happened to me twice, on Friday and again today (Sunday).The only other thing that might cause this is an AVG update. But I'm not sure about that either.
pompom

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

vista...
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

pompom wrote:
Trouble is i have no idea what is going on and the only way i have to test whether a teak here or there works is to start another game. I don't want to do this as i am locking opponents into games i can't finish.

You could try test games, which you can play even against yourself. Just start a game with the prefix "test: " in the game name, then join this game with another one of your teams.
pompom

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

test game is cool,

thanks for that.

just proves that my computer is rubbish.

going to kill AVG and see of that helps.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I know christer mentioned AVG as a possible cause of problems in another thread

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pompom

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

well this is beyond bizarre,

it lets me setup the first team in a test game against myself... then not the second.

AVG uninstalled.

meh.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 20:59
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Try this:

disable sound within the client. See if the crashes stop. If that's so, then make sure to update your sound drivers to the most recent and try again.
Keith-Lemon

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I have AVG and had no problems at all.
Marcellus

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

same keith --- AVG causes me no problems either and I dont change setting on it before I play.
SirOrange

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2011 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I also have AVG, and until Friday I have had no problems either. I mentioned AVG as a possible cause because there was an update around the time I started having problems.
pompom

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2011 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Got it sorted - Kryten you are spot on.

It wasn't that i didn't have the correct drivers- it was that i had disabled all sound devices on my laptop. Everything else functioned fine - without sound - but the client doesn't seem able to deal with this.

so either turning off sound on the client or re enabling sound devices worked.

Thank you all for your help,
p
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2011 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

So the client actually demands a sound card? Would it be possible to add some sort of "don't use a sound device" option, maybe that would solve some of the linux problems?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2011 - 18:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

It's Java, similar things used to happen with javabbowl too. If Java tries to play a sound and something goes wrong, a crash is likely. The client does have this option, you can go to User Settings/Sound and choose "Sound off"
 Jump to: