46 coaches online • Server time: 12:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are surrounded, can you basically punt by throwing the ball down field to an empty square? I planned to do this in my last match up by points, but down in men. When I got done moving all I could do was throw to one of my own guys. Is there a way to do this in the client?
Garion

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

yes just click on your man again, then select throw to empty square and it lets you do it.

It is a good way of doing this imo, it stops missclicked passes to empty squares and it also has to be done this way other wise it would never know if you want to move to that square of throw to it Wink

Last edited by Garion on Feb 08, 2012 - 16:02; edited 1 time in total
Alf115

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, for that you need to select pass on the guy whom you want to throw the ball, then, when you are ready to throw it to an empty square, right click on the ball carrier, you then will have a "throw to empty square menu", hit that menu, then select the square you want to thrwo the ball to.

It works Smile
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
yes just click on your man again, then select throw to empty square and it lets you do it.

It is a good way of doing this imo, it stops missclicked passes to empty squares and it also has to be done this way other wise it would never know if you want to move to that square of throw to it Wink

Actually, there's a really annoying bug about this..if you fail an animosity roll, it appears to change to "throw to empty square on click" by default! I've done it a few times, failed the animosity, then accidentally chucked the ball into a random area of empty square. Just an FYI Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe

client iq fail.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
hehe

client iq fail.

Yeah, I managed a 2-1 victory but he almost got the second TD. I could have made him burn 2 turns chasing down the ball if I had done this correctly.
Chainchoker

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Whats the difference between throwing to an empty square and Hail Mary Pass (which I know isnt implemented yet)?

Cheers!
RobRoyDuncan

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hail Mary Pass allows you to throw anywhere on the pitch, not limited to Long Bomb range, and with a significantly reduced chance of a fumble. Definitely inaccurate, though.
krytie

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

HMP cannot be intercepted and has no range, so you can select any square. Throwing a normal pass can be aimed accurately whereas HMP always scatters.

Also not that in the OP's situation of being fully surrounded, you'll fumble the pass on anything other than a 6.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Throwing to an empty square can be accurate so only 1 bounce whereas HMP is always innaccurate so will scatter 3 times as well as bouncing once.
Raughri

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

krytie wrote:
Also not that in the OP's situation of being fully surrounded, you'll fumble the pass on anything other than a 6.

Unless you have that wonderful skill, Nerves of Steel.
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Raughri wrote:
krytie wrote:

Unless you have that wonderful skill, Nerves of Steel.

If you really are this surrounded, all you need is 2 players, one to blitz chain you free, the other the ball carrier, to run away as fast as possible! Wink

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

krytie wrote:
HMP cannot be intercepted and has no range, so you can select any square. Throwing a normal pass can be aimed accurately whereas HMP always scatters.

Sorry, I was not this surrounded. Rather, I saw I would be blitzed and pummeled that turn. So I ran upfield as far as I could and planned to throw it as far as I could. Unfortunately, all I could figure out how to do is throw it to a player in just as bad of a position as the thrower was in. Mega bummer.
krytie

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2012 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool, in that case throwing is a good tactic. I've used it several times on the final turn, working as described above. (It took me a while to realise that this client has some trigger actions when (apparently) deselecting a player.)

Just remember to check for reach of their players -- if the ball is on the ground he'll only need one player to reach it. If it's in your hands, he needs at least one to blitz you, and then another in reach to retrieve the ball and score. sometimes it's better to hold it and run.