59 coaches online • Server time: 23:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Activated in box last night, got scheduled against a completely fresh player (first game on fumbbl, played like pretty much first game ever). I was 3-0 up at half time, and had just got the ball at the start of the second. He disconnected (have PM'd and am waiting the 24 hours for reply).

Now, this is understandable - you log on as a new player, think "I'll have a go", get slaughtered, and think "forget this". Would you have eased up at 2-0 and coasting? I did try to chat, but that was another part he couldn't do.

Possibly this should have been a blog. Still haven't got the hang of the difference Very Happy
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

[1] after 24 hours of no reply, send in a ticket and ask for a concession to be given to you

[2] Never ease up - that is disrespectful to him, and in breach of site rules (if taken to extremes). But chat, give gentle advice as to what he is doing wrong, and try to allow the both of you to have fun.
hale

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

that is good relationship advice also ^^
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

that is good relationship advice also ^^

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 09:57 Reply with quote Back to top

'If he dies he dies'

(Movie quote thread time!)

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If it bleeds we can kill it
Raughri

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If he couldn't chat then you couldn't offer him advice, which is what I tend to do with new players. I don't think you have done wrong. Hopefully you haven't driven him away from the game forever, and he will be back.

Point him in the direction of Koadah's excellent 145 Open League for new coaches, if you get the chance.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 10:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What film's that Raughri? Smile Thanks, that's what I thought. I do my best to encourage new players usually, and was surprised to find one in the Box! 10pm on a Sunday is not my most forgiving time...

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

[2] Never ease up - that is disrespectful to him, and in breach of site rules (if taken to extremes). But chat, give gentle advice as to what he is doing wrong, and try to allow the both of you to have fun.

Never say never? Wink

Depends what you mean by ease up. You could completely destroy his team in the hunt for for every last SPP.

Some people get the hump if you offer advice when they haven't asked for it. Even when they are obviously completely clueless.

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 11:38 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Some people get the hump if you offer advice when they haven't asked for it. Even when they are obviously completely clueless.

Depends how you approach it, naturally. I remember I was grateful for any advice, asked for or not when I first started (still am by the way).

And film Sann??
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Raughri wrote:

And film Sann??

movie quotes - see above
sann0638

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 11:41 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Depends what you mean by ease up. You could completely destroy his team in the hunt for for every last SPP.

I was playing with High Elves. Only a couple of KOs, but many TDs.
Raughri

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah lol, "If you build it they will come!" and so Christer found it to be true!

*happy arms*
garyt1

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2012 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely good to give advice to the newbies. Using irq to mentioning the sandbox banner issue with Java comes in handy too.
The tricky thing is those people who have been continuing to play badly for a year and just relying on good dice and bash to get some wins.
I mentioned to a guy that he shouldn't keep exposing his ball carrier on his own when I have wrestle gutter runners around and he didn't like it. To another guy I said he shouldn't risk 2 dice against blocks so regularly with his Frenzy Dwarfs and he just said "Dwarfs are good at bashing". Some people don't seem to think about tactics being improved if they manage to get the pow or the opponent skulls.