46 coaches online • Server time: 00:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

This may not immediately seem to be BB-related, but I think if you check with Trog you will find that it is.

American breweries have recently started exporting a lot of their good stuff in an English direction. It takes a lot to break into an ale market as strong as England's so I am led to wonder what good stuff you are keeping back for yourselves over there if this is just the export junk?

If I were to go to the States, how could I make sure I got decent beer everywhere I went?

To keep this on-topic, links to your favourite alcohol-themed teams will also be welcomed.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't seem BB related a all other than many coaches like beer. Wink

Good luck on shaking the Bud Light/Coors image.

Too Drunk

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

american craft beer is pretty (watch the language or I'll stop supporting your ff idea! admin) amazing at times. the ales are still a lot more carbonated than british bitters though, more like IPAs

pac i went to the east coast last summer, (chicago / new york / boston / cape cod) and the west coast a few years before that (vegas / california coast / san francisco / yosemite / lake tahoe / oregan coast / portland / seattle / vancouver)

the east coast every bar had ones like samuel adams, goose island. major brands, decent beer not amazing
the north west coast had lots of small but good quality micro brew stuff, particularly portland and seattle
cali / nevada wasn't as good

I was surprised that most bars have often 10-15 beers on tap. they're all taps like lagers rather than gravity pumps like british pubs have ales on, probably because they're all more carbonated.

the dozens and dozens of the liquor stores and gas stations that we bought beer from, all had stuff like sierra nevada, blue moon, and usually a few others

the only time we had coors or anything similar was at lake tahoe, cans of coors were included in the speedboat hire Very Happy
we also swapped a 6 pack of coors for a big bag of fresh oysters with a oyster farmer guy, somewhere near oregon dunes national park
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

That is spookily useful information, thanks.

If I wasn't confined to this retirement home called Europe I would certainly make use of that.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

read this, heart warming tale of small business owner in seattle

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/01/a-postmodern-elks-club-serving-some-of-the-worlds-best-beer/249797/

ratebeer's top list for american beers - although ratebeer always seems to prefer the very strong stouts

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2012.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2012&file=usa_beer_2012.csv
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

yes, i love the small craft breweries of the US and Canadian North West. Much better than the dross that gets exported...

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2012 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

i found a restaurant south of DC a few weekends ago...capital ale house....

over 60 beers on tap & over 400 bottle beers on ice...and not a single anheuser/miller/coors in sight...

i'm still not convinced it wasn't a dream Sad

--j

ps - they've even got their beer lists online for each restaurant

ImageImage
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2012 - 08:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you just spoiled me on beer forever, shadow.

Now I will have to stick to local brews again. Sad

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2012 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

All that and not a single cider in sight?

The most uncivilised country on earth Sad

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: