66 coaches online • Server time: 17:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Balancing Gnomes
Leave them as they are
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Add 3rd orc slayer
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Orc slayers av to 8
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Orc slayers str to 3
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Remove really stupid from cannons
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Make cannons mv3
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Something else
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

johan

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:
when you think about having four slayers remember that frenzy will come as curse when you dont have assist.

True, that can be a hassle, but it helps that the Slayers themselves can and will get Guard.

Not to mention how annoying it is to waste a re-roll on a failed Dauntless on a Big Guy, only to fail again on the second Block.

Still, the Slayers are the offensive punch of the Gnomes, and 2 simply don't cut it. Anyone who's tried bombing out the opposing Big Guys knows how well that works out...

/johan

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like Cannons with MA3, they would probably change from TTM and Blunderbuss Secret Weapons to "I stand in front of a BG and take the hits" players...

The main problem I had with my Gnomes (haven't played them for quite a while, so there might be others with more accurate data) wasn't the bashyness of my opponent's team, gnomes have av7 and thick skull, they can take some hits, it was more difficult to play against fast teams (even goblins are fast). Preventing the opponent from scoring is extremly difficult and you really need bombs for that. Even if he drops the ball, the Gnomes are to slow to secure it. Maybe some runner positional player would help the gnomes a bit.

Giving every player AV8 might be another choice. It would make them unique in stunty and it would help to survive against other teams.
Imerikol

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnomes are already quite survivable compared to other stunties with AV7 and thick skull. All for 30k I might add. What gnomes lack compared to other stunties is: ball carriers of MA5 of more and 2 or more tough guys to put on the line. Every other stunty team has both of these or some other advantages to make up for its lack, gnomes do not.

I don't see a problem with cannons being used on the front line if they were made MA3, it would just bring them up to what other teams can put on the line. Consider that they will NEVER be as good as a BG since they are weaker and don't have Gen access.

Even with MA3 on cannos, I think the team needs something else... either no more stupid on the cannons, a third slayer, or a new 0-2 position with MA5 or 6 and AG3
pixyled

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I say 4 orc slayers, keep the really stupid but make cannons MV3, and keep orc slayers av7 but up regular gnomes to av8
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

A bit of history on the Gnome team design. Gnomes were designed largely based on fluff. I know some of you cringe at this idea that building a team that is consistent with its background important but I know you can build a team with a solid background and reasonable balance.

Gnomes were designed as the dwarven cousins (consistent with the old WHFRP). They were supposed to be the slow tough team of the Stunty Leeg (mirroring dwarves in BB) but with the a big secret weapon twist as they were fond of looting the Dwarven Armoury.

I think adding a point of AV to all gnomes is fitting of the original fluff and feel of this team. If the baseline players is going to be near cripplingly slow, I think they should get something for it and I think AV8 is the most logical and fluffy choice.

Gnome Engineers were created to fill the gap while Skijunkie was finishing coding the Secret Weapons. At the time of the gnomes' implementation bombs weren't implemented thus the gnomes received Chainsaws and were called Engineers. Now that Bombs have been implemented, isn't it about time that gnomes bombers get an appropriate name: Mad Bommaz? The idea was to expand on the original fluff: the gnomish twist on the dwarven Slayer cult. I hinted at the direction I'd like to take the background in my fluff piece for the T.N.T.. The gnomish twist on the dwarven Slayer Cult would be the Daredevil Cult, which would include the Mad Bommaz (formerly Gnome Engineers) and the Daredevils (formerly Orc Slayers). This would unify the fluff and feel of the team. The mad gnomish cultists seek glorious death on the pitch by foolishly taking on BGs, wielding high explosives or being launched froma canon. With that kind of background in mind, I could see a justification for making the elite of the Dare Devil Cult, the Mad Bommaz a bit more useful. Bumping the Mad Bommaz up to M5 could be justified by the fluff (elite cultists) and might also help balance them. If you really wanted to play up the fluff, I could see arguments for giving them Frenzy.

I think Orc Slayers would be much more fluffy as Daredevils. As for boosts, I'd be tempted to increase their AG to 3 and give them AG access, something they would find helpful in their Daredevilish deeds. AG 2 isn't very conducive to daring TTM plays. AG access would also could make them a bit more survivable (a frequent balance complaint). I think these changes would make them more fluffy and balanced. I'd be tempted to keep them at AV7 to reflect the fact that they are part of the suididal Daredevil Cult (parallelling the Troll Slayers).

Dwarven Canons were created to reflect a canon stolen from the dwarven armouries. They were slow (IIRC MV1 originally). They were supposed to be crewed by another gnome (thus Really Stupid). They were tough (High AV) but once tipped over, they required some effort to set straight. They could malfunction (Always Hungry). They could be used offensively (they had bombs). In an attempt to make them stronger, they were sped up and bombs were dropped to lower the penalty roll. They still were big clunky canons that required a crew but they were now more focused on launching stunties and the ball. M3 would make the canons feel very different. They would no longer be the big clunky things that are hard to reset after being toppled. Losing Really Stupid would eliminate the need and feel of crewing the canon. Personally, I'd rather see Really Stupid dropped over the boost in MV. Losing Really Stupid could heighten the daredevil feel of the team as coaches might be more willing to use TTM instead of using them as really weak Big Guy replacements.

I think this rebalancing would be a great opportunity to enhance their fluff and their balance.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Project Censored

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2004 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

edit. Double post deleted.

Post   Posted: Nov 29, 2004 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Evo. He usually knows what's best for stunty.