84 coaches online • Server time: 20:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Windows or OSX?
Windows
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
OSX
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
PONY!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

blader4411

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2012 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been talking to some people, both on and off FUMBBL, and there seems to be this division between the two user-bases.

Now, say that I want to buy a portable laptop for High School, which platform would be better (and why?)
Christer

Post   Posted: Jul 23, 2012 - 13:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Although I'm an avid Apple user myself, I'd say get the one that is better supported by your school. Having the "wrong" platform will cause a lot of headaches that are better spent on the actual classes you're taking than the hardware you're using. That being said, here's my take on it.

Cost.
Apple hardware comes at a premium. There is no low-end apple hardware available so you end up buying the high end (ie, high cost) stuff. In the windows world, you can find machines in all sorts of price ranges with varying component and build qualities. Plastic chassis or aluminium, varying screen quality, different weights (or portability), etc. A windows machine allows you to cut costs in a way that Apple won't let you. What's better for you in this aspect is simply deciding if you want a low-cost machine, or a high quality one. That being said, Apple's AppleCare should be something you look seriously at if you go the apple way. It adds cost, but is considered worth the money by most people for a machine you lug around everywhere.

Ease of Use.
OS X is considered "easy" to use, but if you're already used to Windows (and Windows 7 in particular), you'll be more at home with the Windows machine for obvious reasons. Personally, I happily made the transition as I was completely fed up with my old windows machine (long story). The only negative part about Windows machines is that you have a tendency to be forced to spend a day or so cleaning up all the crapware the manufacturer stuffs on the machine. Endless amounts of trial-ware or junk you simply don't want. Some brands have less, others fill the machine with so much junk it takes ages to boot it. Apple hardware is clean from that kind of stuff. Apple's offering is easy to use as long as you do things the way they intended. If you walk beyond the designated path, things have a tendency to become a bit tricky. Being a proper "Power User" takes more effort on OS X.

Earlier investment.
One thing to consider is how much money you have invested into each of the OSes already. Maybe you bought a couple of apps you don't want to be without? Take this into consideration if you are planning on switching. This is sort of related to the Ease of Use topic as well, since the same thing can be said about invested time learning how to do things in general on either system.

Integration.
What does the rest of your computing environment look like? If you have a desktop machine, you want to consider how things integrate between your laptop and your desktop. How about your mobile device(s)? Although it's less important these days, iTunes is the app you want to use to connect your devices to your computer. The Windows version of iTunes sucks, simple as that. On OS X, it's much much better. If the rest of your environment is Windows / Android, you're likely to have an easier time with a Windows laptop. Keeping documents synced between devices is somewhat of a hassle as it is, so prepare for some headaches until you come up with a workflow that suits your way of doing things.

Education.
On the other hand, going into unknown territory is a good learning experience. Knowing both Windows and OS X can be beneficial in the long term. Taking the less travelled path takes a lot of effort though and if you're not interested in the headache, you might want to stick with the option you know best.

Best of both worlds?
With Apple hardware, you have the option of installing Windows in a dual-boot scenario. This sort of defeats the point of buying a Mac though, and you'll end up having to pay for a Windows license as well. Unless you're only out for showing the Apple logo that is. Don't know how important that is in the school you're attending (or for yourself) though. I could bring up build quality here as well, but I figure there's probably a Sony or other high-end brand Windows machine that is well built at roughly the same price point as the MacBook.

Bottom line.
Your question is probably nothing someone else can answer. There are so many factors that are individual that only you can answer them. If you want a Mac, buy a mac. If you want a Windows machine, buy one of those. There are pros and cons regardless of which one you take, and all of the issues you'll end up having with your choice will be either so small they don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, or you will be able to find ways around them. Simple as that.
 Jump to: