25 coaches online • Server time: 01:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

This question might be stupid but why does the United Kingdom compete under the name of Great Britain in the Olympic Games?

If I understood correctly, Northern Irish and some overseas territories are included under the GB banner, which doesn't make much sense to me.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose it's probably mainly history and tradition that GB competes as GB. Perhaps back in the day there was a number of countries limitation, or it's an Empire thing... I live in England, consider myself English, but my passport says 'British'. Go figure, I suppose. Perhaps someone that knows more history than me can give you a proper answer.

We compete as individual nations in the Commonwealths.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

This Video is pretty informative about things but does state that GB is just the mainland.

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh - I'd assumed the question was why compete as GB, not England / UK, etc.

Perhaps you're right and it was a what's the difference question. Smile
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I watched the video a while ago. That's why I asked.

Great Britain is the main island, but under the name of GB we have competing not only England, Wales and Scotland, but also Northern Irland and some (but not all) of the overseas territories.

So there are territories represented that don't fall under the Great Britain territorial naming. I'd be pissed if I were Northern Irish Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Britain, is the mainland. Great Britain is the mainland and the surrounding islands (such as isle of man, Jersey and Guernsey). In the past you would see sporting teams labeled as Great Britain and Northern Island. I believe however, there is a political problem with this now (however I maybe wrong).
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jul 30, 2012 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it might be because Northern Irish participants can choose to represent either GB or Ireland, depending on their preferences.

Also, United Kingdom isn't as easily given a three letter abbreviation. Wink
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

We actually compete as Great Britain and Northern Ireland - its just that GB&NI doesn't have quite the same ring to it as GB.
Quite why they go with that, rather than UK, is another question entirely (not one I can answer)

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not compete seperately? You do in everything else including soccer world cups and Commonwealth Games.

Just seems pointless considering you dont have a GB National Anthem (and the Welsh and Scots are quite right not to sing it).
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2012 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

The only reason we compete separately in soccer is because we invented the professional game, and we ensured that we would always be allowed to compete as separate nations. Similar thing with the Commonwealth Games - basically, we can do what we want.

Technically though, we aren't individual countries - we act in the UN as the UK, etc. - so for competitions which we aren't in charge of, we have to compete as a whole country rather than as four regions.
semmike

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2012 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The Queen forms secret Govt that is above other Govts