61 coaches online • Server time: 17:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
d100

Post   Posted: Apr 25, 2010 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I can confirm the freezing in spectator mode. I also get the "already logged in" message if I close the client and restart it. I have yet to try updating java to 1.6.0_20 or trying KDE. I will give them a try and see what changes. Thanks for the info from those who have posted.

Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_19-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.2-b04, mixed mode)
Vesto

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2010 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Still not working with GNOME.

JBB: 0.5.7
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
etc...

One thing would come handy. A shortcut key which activate chat dialong. You can see, if apoth has been wasted and remember number of rerolls, but ability to chat is essential, too.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.
Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2010 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, under Gnome you can still get the full functionality by doing the following:

A. To chat, just click the mouse cursor where the chat box "should" be. Type your message then hit the "enter" key. You can't see what you type, but you can still send a message.
B. To see number of rerolls, apothecaries etc, just hover the mouse cursor on the top part of the icon that is still visible. Leave it for a few seconds and a popup will appear with the number of rerolls etc.

This is only a work-around for those that love Gnome (like me). I have tried a few things to fix this, like changing the Look&Feel options or Java, but I never got any love. If anyone does manage, please post.

Cheers.

Oscar Wilde
Vesto

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2010 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the tip.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life.
Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 11:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I still keep coming back to this, trying to find a solution.

Is the problem actually related to the Java Look-And-Feel? IE, under Gnome, would changing the look-and-feel from GTK to QT solve the problem?

Oscar Wilde
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2010 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

You said you had tried to use other look and feels previously in your post. But feel free to try it.
Also, if you could run the java console to see if there is any error-messages when you launch the client, that might help.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

The solution - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=75056

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, as i posted in that blog, it is the same solution that have been mentioned over and over again, you have to switch to another desktop manager than GNOME and it works. xfce and KDE have been mentioned as working alternatives.
ultwe

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't use gnome, so can't try this, but.... Has anyone tried to run one of the box environments within Gnome, see if it makes a difference?

http://www.batushkas.com/desktop-tips/47-using-fluxbox-with-gnome.html
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:GNOME/Openbox
couldn't find a link for blackbox (didn't try too hard, tbh)

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
The solution - http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=75056

That is a work around, not a solution. I knew already that it works fine under KDE, but I prefer using Gnome usually.

d100 wrote:
I can confirm the freezing in spectator mode. I also get the "already logged in" message if I close the client and restart it. I have yet to try updating java to 1.6.0_20 or trying KDE. I will give them a try and see what changes. Thanks for the info from those who have posted.

Ubuntu 9.10 64bit
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_19-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.2-b04, mixed mode)

I think there may be a bug that if you have the sound on your computer set to mute, and you have game volume on, then the client can freeze. Under KDE I have seen an exception thrown related to not finding the sound device (using the Java console), but I have had stability problems under both window managers when the above conditions were met. I actually saw exactly the same exception on my AIBowl client (and solved it just by catching it nicely).

I will try and reproduce this if I can, and submit a bug report if it is so. Unfortunately my computer is busy doing work for me, so I can't log out and log into KDE right now...

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

ultwe wrote:
I don't use gnome, so can't try this, but.... Has anyone tried to run one of the box environments within Gnome, see if it makes a difference?

http://www.batushkas.com/desktop-tips/47-using-fluxbox-with-gnome.html
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:GNOME/Openbox
couldn't find a link for blackbox (didn't try too hard, tbh)

This looks pretty interesting! Will try them out at home.

Oscar Wilde
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

I think there may be a bug that if you have the sound on your computer set to mute, and you have game volume on, then the client can freeze. Under KDE I have seen an exception thrown related to not finding the sound device (using the Java console), but I have had stability problems under both window managers when the above conditions were met. I actually saw exactly the same exception on my AIBowl client (and solved it just by catching it nicely).

I will try and reproduce this if I can, and submit a bug report if it is so. Unfortunately my computer is busy doing work for me, so I can't log out and log into KDE right now...

If this bug happens, there might actually be a fix to it in the next version of FFB already, as i redesigned how the volume-control works to solve the issue with it in WinXp.
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2010 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
Grod wrote:

If this bug happens, there might actually be a fix to it in the next version of FFB already, as i redesigned how the volume-control works to solve the issue with it in WinXp.

Possibly I was just imagining it (as in, I can't reproduce it Smile )

Oscar Wilde
syghud

Post   Posted: May 01, 2013 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I've got the same issue here, with a gnome-fallback-session on latest Ubuntu.
Thanks for the tips, though. I'll try changing my window manager if I can't stand the white bar anymore.
Grod

Post   Posted: May 11, 2013 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

syghud wrote:
I've got the same issue here, with a gnome-fallback-session on latest Ubuntu.
Thanks for the tips, though. I'll try changing my window manager if I can't stand the white bar anymore.

This problem has been solved by the way:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=5203&id=9362

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: