57 coaches online • Server time: 23:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Good report! Burn Notice hopes to move up the list at some point by making more of an impact, but they have struggled since their major win. I am sad that I have not played most of these teams (some before my time). So far only team I have played from 16 - 25 is Colorful Characters. Tiny Steel Hammers knocked them off in GLT VII qualifiers (TSH promptly lost to rafa's Dark Elves in the qualifier finals).
maysrill

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
I played the Legion in a GLT Qualifier Final - lost 2-3 in OT. Damn hard and fun game, and a class coach.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=3182810

Yeah, I barely scratched my way through that, losing the OT coinflip and having to win on defense. Man, I was a die roll away from losing about 4 games in that run, including our match (qual final) and the finals match.

Very pleased (and a bit surprised) to show up at #23.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Programming note

The list is complete and ready.

Friday 11-15
Monday we hit the top 10 with 6-10

Tues will be the big one as we get to see the top 5 of all time.

The anticipation is building.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to have fun with this give it some though over the next few days and post who you think should be the #1-10 and lets compare to the list that Milford has.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Am I right in thinking Fleetfoot's Revenge are the only team to win a major in both lrb4 and lrb6? Nice to see Colourful Characters at 20 - bit harsh to describe them as a one hit wonder when they got to the semis of the fummbl cup in the following tournament. Did I mention Fleetfoot's Revenge are the only team to win a major in both lrb4 and lrb6 and have a runner up on coin toss to boot? Smile
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, 5 teams have won multiple majors:
1. Tiny Steel Hammers (3)
2. Black Sithi (2)
3. Competitive Eaters (2)
4. Rata Blanca (2)
5. Fleetfoot's Revenge (2)
- Can write a story about each of those 5 - all of them have had extremely impressive stories. Hard to pick anyone else above these teams for the top 5 spots I would think.

The real question is: what 5 1 win teams would be #6-10? Could be ordered a lot of ways - but off the cuff:
6. Chuck Versus Blood Bowl
7. Yellow Fever
8. Malditos Roedoeres!!
9. Pro Popes
10. Ultimate Superheroes
- I am biased towards teams that I remember/know about as I think everyone would be - so could be missing a really good team/performance.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think rata Blanca won under LRB4 and CRP...I think their GLT win was the last year of LRB action in the GLT>

I could be wrong

But the big tip off is that the replay is the old client.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2013 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Talking about the conversion..was not the last LRB tourney in the FC in 2010? FUMBBL went CRP at the start of 2011?

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

** Milfords Top 25 continues **

Lets take a look at the #11-15 teams.

#15 ImageBig Hats FTW : LC III

Big Hats had a brutal run in the final LC played under the old format. It was a serious grind that will stand the test of time. They also lay claim as to one of the two winners of a Major that won the tournament on a coin flip at the end of Over Time.

Also during their run to greatness they ran across a seriously pimped out CRSC chaos team and beat them down hard. Now this event looking back was huge. For it turns out that coach with that pimped out CRSC team 2 Months later would get busted as a member of the Cabal of Cheaters in the FUMBBL Cup. It turned out the LC was the tune up for Cabal to see how their plans were working out.

Also when looking at the Main draw they took down some seriously huge teams in their run. They had to run a gauntlet of some of the biggest names on the Ranked scene at the time.

It was a epic run to greatness.

#14 ImageLone Stars :WO VIII

Lone Stars are a old team that found redemption in the Era of CRP. They had been battling it out for years in the LRB4 majors with some success but never getting over the top. But finally under CRP they found the magic and managed to blow their way through the tourney and claim their first trophy.

Lone Stars are the classic Ranked Chaos team caught betweeen the two worlds of CRP on FUMBBL. Do they go all in with the CPOMB or try to play the anti elf chaos tacitcs of ranked. They managed to find the right balance of the two and blew up the WO.

The other thing about the Lone Stars run to greatness was this idea that the draw is huge in a KO format. They got a juicy draw in the main event. You still have to win your matches, so I will not take anything away from their run, but man the schedule could not have "broke" any better for them and they took full advanatge of that situation. Some times the path to greatness is to take the path of least resistance.

#13 ImagePro Popes :BC III

The Popes unforloned the Elf race and had a epic run to greatness. It seemed like the final 2 matches of the tourney the Popes were getting ready to pack their bags and exit stage left but they fought on.

That semi Final match against Azure Claw Squad was a classic and the finals was awesome as it came down to the coin flip and then the Popes OTS right off the bat to claim the victory. But in the end the injury God was kind to the popes, NUFFLE smiled on them at the right moments. And with this divine intervention were able to hold on and claim a trophy. Some times in the end it is neccesary to have a little luck sauce to push you over the top.

#12 ImageNandorins :FC IV

Nandorins were the peoples champs in the early days of FUMBBL. They were the hotness on FUMBBL and considered one of the top teams. They proved it by taking down FC IV and placing a trophy next to that claim as one of the best teams on FUMBBL. Unfortunatly as of late the Nandorins seem to be playing on the back wood pitches on FUMBBL. The glitz and glam has faded but to this day they are considered one of the legend teams on FUMBBL.

Fans can still be scene in the stands wearing their old, ratty, torn and beer stained Nandorins game jerseys. For the old timers they still can remember the days of Nandorin domination on the pitches across the Old World. But alas now they just come out to play in the Old Timers qualifier to give the specs one more chance to see a legend team take the field. They always show up by the droves to see them play in the GLT for that one last chance for greatness and glory on the pitch.

#11 ImageUltimate Superheros :FC V

This was the team that put the crown of Luckiest Coach on FUMBBL ontop of PeteW's head. To this day he still wears that crown with pride. He weaved his way through the FC by winning 1-0 and 2-1 and allways managing to pull that luck play out of his, hat? But he has another claim to fame in this FC. He was the coach who denied the Khemri their first ever majors championship. Sent those khemri scumm back to the desert and they have never been scene since. He even managed to overcome a Get the Ref on the opening kick off in the finals against those Khemri scum bags. Now remember back in the day of LRB4 DP and Khemri that was a tall order to over come if you expected half your team to leave the pitch in tact.

On that epic run he took down the Nandorins in the semi which turned out to be the last big push the Nandorins had in a major.

SO in the end a run to greatness by the Superheros managed to crown the luckiest man on FUMBBL, kill off the hopes and dreams of Khemri and put down the former champ in the Nanadorins. Now that is called a tournament of destiny my friends

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

No, DEs in this batch, am I to presume that 5 out of 10 in the next batch of teams is Dark Elf teams? The true kings of Bloodbowl after all.
shusaku

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
Am I right in thinking Fleetfoot's Revenge are the only team to win a major in both lrb4 and lrb6? Nice to see Colourful Characters at 20 - bit harsh to describe them as a one hit wonder when they got to the semis of the fummbl cup in the following tournament. Did I mention Fleetfoot's Revenge are the only team to win a major in both lrb4 and lrb6 and have a runner up on coin toss to boot? Smile

Black Sithi also won under LRB4 und CRP
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting picks. Two of the five teams I had picked to be in the top 10 - so wonder which teams you have up there that I was not thinking of. As for the teams - I remember all of them (and have played against all of them!) Lost to Big Hats and Lone Stars back in LRB 4 days. Draw against Lone Stars in last years LC Swiss tournament. Lost to Pro Popes (as mentioned above) on their route to a major win, then got revenge with Burn Notice defeating them on their way to a major win. Nandorians we defeated back in LRB 4 - killing 4 of their players in a DE vs DE matchup. Ultimate Superheroes we knocked out of first round of FC back in 2007 much to everyone's surprise.

My record against #21-25: 0/0/0
My record against #16-20: 1/0/0
My record against #11-15: 3/1/2
shusaku

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played Eleven of the 15 Teams so far.
21-25 1/1/2
16-20 1/0/4
11-15 3/0/1
I am missing still missing the earthshakers as the first Team to win a Major
And Dark elf boxing as the first Team to win a box major
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Jul 19, 2013 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't argue with much here. List looks pretty good.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2013 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

** Milfords Top 25 continues **

Due to RL issues here we go with #6-10. #1-5 will still be released on Tuesday for the grand finale.

#10 ImageLoA : WO V

Now let me state right off the bat these guys are not at #10 because they were a good team. These guys were average at best. They loaded up the DP boot and had a +Stat bull to guide them and the rest of the team, chumps. In fact these guys were so average the team disbanded after they stole the trophy, ran for the hills and never looked back. Last I heard they have joined a circus and now travel the badlands as a troupe of clowns.

BUT

LoA had the luckiest run in majors history hands down. These guys NUFFLED everyone. Had refs in their back pockets and shocked the FUMBBL universe. That is the kind version to describe the events in that main draw.

Dont believe me?...lets pull some quotes.

"Well, not much to say. I got well and truly nuffled, no shame in that. Good luck in the finals Synn" - Leijonet
(Now Leijonet is a true pro. Held his head high after the match and took it like a man. BUT 2 days later he was arrested for beating up some hobgoblins. He then later was spotted in a pub passed out on the floor mumbling about those bastards the LoA. He was never the same after that dark day on the grid iron.)

"Tnx nuffle for game , and i hope next your game nuffle helps your oponent" - Pakrovejas
(There is still a conspiracy theory out there that the head ref for the semi final match was Pakrovejas and that LoA paid him a huge sum of cash, in excess of 1 mil gold. He just so happened to be the ref that was got at the start of both halves.)

Now these were the quotes I could use and not get in trouble. Let me assure you that the profanity laced tirades against LoA went long and far. In their semi final match they got the ref on the opening kick off of BOTH HALVES!!!!! laid out a majors record of 16 DP shots in that one match. It was glorious, NUFFLING of the highest order and just down right wrong. Then in the finals they get the ref in the second half to aid them to victory.

In fact the LoA legacy to this day still lives on. On occasion you will hear a old coach around here call a deep a run by a chump team in a major, pulling a Synn. A salute to the luckiest major run in history. Or it might be a insult. It probally is both since losers are sore sports and call people all kinds of names when they get "Synn'ed" on the pitch.

Now I know some of you are crying that I just "Synn'ed" the top 25 list by having them so high in the rankings. But let me assure you these guys deserve these high marks. Not because of the greatness of the team. But for the absoulte insanity, IRC chat rants and blowing the minds of specs with such absoulute luck in such a short time frame that they came unglued. It was such a glorious run that I could not deny LoA the #10 spot. It was just to awesome to overlook.

#9 ImageGriefers Gonna Grief : CoS II

Griefers showed up in the main draw of the CoS and litterally ripped it to shreds. 21 CAS in 3 games of total domination, pain, suffering and glorious lamentation from their opponeets. And that was just on the field of play. In the forums they were the first team to trully draw out the rage from the masses about CPOMB. Sure it was simmering but man did the Griefers cause some serious fourm war grief.

They showed the path of buff rowdy and caused teams to seriously consider just conceeding on the kick off and take the wrath of the admins. You faced off against these guys and inless you had a iron will well your knees started to tremble and pixel huggers turned and fled. They also denied Khemri their trophy in the finals. Beat them down hard in the finals match and crushed their bones to dust.

From the stand point of just mayhem and destruction these guys punched their way into the top 10. They showed the path of CPOMB in box and just laughed in the face of all the moaning and complaining. These also cemented the idea that Chaos in the box is chump change compared to buffed out Nurgle teams. This tourney and the fall out afterwards in my book elevated them to a legendary team on FUMBBL.

There is only one blemish on the Griefers record though. It is small but I can not overlook it since I have this huge hulking Chaos Warrior breathing down my neck. No matches against the WMD in the Box. According to this guy behind me he says the most buff rowdy team in the box has not got their shot yet against the Griefers.

Just pointing this out.

#8 ImageRata Blanca :GLT VI, FC XI

Rata Blanca is the first of our 2 time major champs to make the list. They are one of three teams to have won a major under LRB4 and CRP. They have been a mainstay team for a long time in the Majors. Making deep runs and allways seem to pop up in main draws.

Blanca has scene both sides of the coin as skaven tactics under the new rules has changed their roster. They have adapted to the new approach forged by Burn Notice. An admirable trait is that these guys never seem to go away. They get beat down hard, rebuild and before you know it they are back in a main draw and competiting at a high level. That is a sure sign of a champion and a legendary team. The ability to bounce back from set backs but keep moving forward.

On a personeal note I have to say I admire the Blanca for a diffrent reason. Since I cover every major Iam always working behind the scenes. Getting the inside scoops and walking around locker rooms. Blanca has by far the best spy network of any team. Those guys are everywhere. Getting blackmail information, a food posion plate over here, finding out who has that nasty niggle that they have been hiding in the training room, a back stab here and there,a massive rolodex on every ref just in case a visit is in order the night before the match and the occasional apoth gone missing before a critical game. These guys are masters of the subtle side of Blood Bowl that the fans never get to see. And it is one of the reasons for their success on the pitch.

#7 ImageFleetfoots Revenge : UI IX GLT V

Revenge is another team to have won under both LRB and CRP. These guys have been a mainstay on the Ranked scene for years. They suffered a lot of ups and downs but allways seemed to return to form. These guys are still a serious force in CRP and you never feel good about running across them in a major.

GLT V was a classic moment for them. They ran across some serious opposition in the main draw and had to fight tooth and nail to get to the finals. Then they ran across a mean and nasty Chaos team and took them to OT before finally sending them packing.

Another thing about Fleetfoot was that they allways seemed to have a really solid core of BoB's on the team to anchor them. Let the blitzers do all the fancy stuff but the BoB's were the real grunt stars on the team. They have had some of the best 4 BoB's to ever take a ptich together. Back in the day when you faced off against these guys you allmost allways took on 4 star player or higher level BoB's. They were a wall of muscle and pain and tough to get around.

Fleetfoots is the mainstay legendary Orc team, hands down. They have had the most success of any orc team around and they allways seem to pack a serious punch and compete hard in majors and are allways on the cusp of the main draw. These guys will just not go away.

#6 ImageBlack Sithi : BC IV BC II

The Sithi are hands down the best wood elf team in the Box, 2 time Champion of the Black Cup. And based on results you would be hard pressed not to say the best Wood Elf team on all of FUMBBL. They also did it under LRB and CRP rules sets.

It can not be overstated how epic their 2 titles are because of the Division they play in. These guys showed every one that elves in the box are a formidable force and that CPOMB in the end is not the only path to victory.

In Black Cup IV they really shined in their epic run. Taking down Burn Notice and then one of the Box's finest Vampire teams in the semi. They managed to hold on to the victory in the finals and claim their second trophy. All the whille his opponeet was crying and moaning about OTS woodies and the injustice of it all. Oh I love a good whine from a loser.

Another thing that elevates them in my eyes is these guys are not your ho hum stall and run around, playing the 4 corner wood elf stall plan. No, you see a Sithi match and you get to see scoring and in droves. In the final 3 matches of BC IV they scored 13 TD's! Now that is called high scoring and high flying Blood Bowl.

So in the end the Sithi are a high scoring, fun loving, box bashing and reduce their opponeets to weeping in the dug out. How can you not love this?

Last edited by PainState on Jul 25, 2013 - 16:17; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: