48 coaches online • Server time: 12:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
baelnic

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

JamesSeals80 wrote:
What day is it today?

It's today.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

** Milfords climatic conclusion to the top 25 **

We have finally arrived at the top 5 major's winners, let’s take a look.

#5 ImageWhite Killers : LC II

White Killers blow into the top 5 for one reason. They had the most spectacular, brutal, shocking and downright awesome run to greatness in Majors history. When the main draw of the Lustrian Challenge came out their first round opponent, Competitive Eaters. Second round match up, Extraordinary Brotherhood.

When you take down the #1 and the #3 teams on Milfords list. Do it in a main draw and then proceed to beat them in back to back games, an EPIC run to greatness. For all the new FUMBBL coaches running around that would be the same as beating the Tiny Steel Hammers followed by taking down Chuck VS.

As you will see farther down the list that not only did they beat them in back to back. Those two teams were at the zenith of their pimped out powers. And I mean PIMPED OUT to the extreme.

The Killers run to greatness in the LC was way back in the day. So the memory has faded of that epic run. But I assure you during that run the specs were stunned, the forums could not believe it and then not shortly afterwards a coach would decide that he wanted to go play professional Texas Hold'em and quit FUMBBL.

One last feather in the Killers hat is that this was not a one shot wonder scenario. They made multiple main draws during their reign of terror. But always were playing in the shadows of the Fleetfoot Revenge which is why a lot of coaches do not think of them right off the bat when listing some of the great Orc teams during that period.

#4 ImageChuck Versus Blood Bowl : FC X

What a run and to this day it just seemed like the stars aligned and they were not going to be denied. Looking back on it now it I think the big thing about Chuck VS what their real greatness was what it did for FUMBBL and the Box Division. These guys represented the Box in the FC and claimed a combined major for the first time. They seemed to give the Box a needed boost to get their credibility up with the masses that Box teams could compete at the highest level with the Ranked teams. Also when the run happened the timing was perfect. That was when the Box VS Ranked debate was at its greatest. Now of course it did increases the CPOMB debate to new levels and causes another entire forum eruption.

Based on the aftermath of the FC Chuck VS introduced the concept of the CPOMB baller team. That you could be good at balling and at the same time bring the hurt. To this day coaches are still scratching their head on how a team who had at the time the #1 all-time greatest punishing CPOMB beastman with a wing man who was the #5 All-time best CPOMB beastman and somehow convinced the masses that they won the FC on the backs of being a good baller team.

After the FC they made some runs in a few Box majors but once Jill Roberts was laid out. The fire just seemed to die out of Chuck. They got put on the back shelf and almost never come out and play anymore.

But their run was one of greatness. Their impact on the major's scene was huge.

#3 ImageCompetitive Eaters : LCI FC VI

These guys were the first team to truly dominate the major’s scene back in the day. They brought out the passion, hatred and utter rage in the fans. They won back to back majors in the LC and then the FC and then after those two majors had the most brutal dwarf team ever scene, hands down. They had the Temple Guardian ball carrier coupled with a Beast of Nurgle back in the rule set when BoN was the most dominate Big Guy. Coupled with a team of super stars and legend players. They were so brutal that coaches basically conceded entire majors and threw up their arms in disgust.

Some coaches were so enraged at the Eaters that they just quit playing in majors all together. Moaning and complaining about pimped out Ranked teams. How the prizes were way to OP to handle. In fact the moaning and complaining did change up the rules in regards to prizes. The Temple Guard was reduced to a one year stint on a team and the FC never again handed out ANY PLAYER on ANY ROSTER as a prize. So when you get admins to change rules that is nod at greatness.

The interesting thing to me about the Eaters was what happened after their 2 major's run to greatness. The team as great as they were could just not get the magic going ever again. They became so bloated and were always giving up 5 handicaps a match under LRB4. They started to accumulate the dreaded niggles on players. They kept plugging along until the Whitekillers kicked them in the groin and the FC was a total fiasco afterwards.

JackDaniels threw in the towel 2 months later and then faded away to the poker tables of Europe at least that was what he told everyone. Maybe he just rage quitted and crawled up into the fetal position in a closet and cried between swigs of jack for 3 months that the Eaters were done as a competitive team under LRB4 rules. Still feared and dreaded but not in contention to win a major.

Eaters were hands down one of the most impactful teams ever on FUMBBL. That 2 major run with back to back wins was titanic. Coupled with outrage and venom on the forums earns the Eaters one of the top 3 spots on the list.

#2 ImageTiny Steel Hammers : WO VIII, GLT IX and GLT VIII

Hammers blow onto the list at #2. They earned the #1 spot based on the only team to win 3 majors but fall back to #2 because their impact falls way short of the #1 team. But let’s talk about the Hammers.

The new Eaters on the Ranked scene. Man these guys just like those other guys have gotten coaches panties in a wad and the rage from some quarters is huge. OTS skink now coupled with a dark elf runner just has some coaches foaming at the mouth in rage. Don’t talk about the tentacle dwarf hiding on the LOS because they might just come unglued and become violent. Lucky for us the CPOMB dwarf was killed off. But if they should win the FC don’t worry, good chance he will be back to make us all so happy.

Unlike the Eaters though these guys are still in CRP form and at the zenith of their power. Every major they enter just brings a sense of dread for some coaches that they might get that first round match up. Because they know deep down that Hammers are in prime form and just getting better with each major's victory.

GLT VIII was huge for the Hammers as they took down their main rivals the To the Top Ranked in the semi round. That was a big hurdle for them in my mind. Taking down your main major's rival in a semifinal match is really big. It is just another reminder to the Ranked Div. that the Hammers are in prime form and looking to notch up some more major's victories. Their run of terror is not going to end anytime soon barring a catastrophic explosion of CAS. But even then who knows? They have suffered some crippling CAS on key players in the past but just bounce back right into form. Finding rookies to step up and become the new super stars. It might just be possible that the Hammers are the team to beat for the next 2+ years on the Ranked scene.

But they are always chasing the elusive FUMBBL Cup victory to firmly plant them for all time as the most successful team in Majors history. This brings up a question. No matter how many majors you win IF you lack the FC trophy does it make it lack luster? Do you need that FC trophy in the case?

I guess we will find out if the Hammers are set to answer that question for us in a few months when the FC kicks off.

#1 ImageExtraordinary Brotherhood : WO III

NO TEAM has caused as much outrage and forum rage as the Brotherhood, NO ONE.

Back in the day the FUMBBL birthday surprise was announced. On that day there would be no ageing rolls and no perm damage from any match on that day. Now some suspected this might cause some issues.

Brotherhood knew it would cause issues and they took full advantage of it. Played 26 matches in one day. Took a middling squad of punks and turned them into a jugger of death and destruction. A pimped out squad of CL/RSC madness. A team of super stars with no ageing rolls. 2 days after the Birthday the full impact of what had just transpired hit the FUMBBL coaches. There had risen a Frankenstein Birthday team of epic proportions. Forum madness ensued. The coaches grabbed their pitch forks and torches and were running around in a frenzied state. The Forums erupted in hellfire as the rage poured forth.

Now that is all good and dandy. BUT here is the reason the Brotherhood are #1.

They exploited the Birth Day to the extreme but so did a lot of other teams. But they managed to take that and enter into a major and dominate it. They blew the doors off and decimated the field. They actually accomplished the goal of exploiting the birth day. They won a major. And man did that burn up so many coaches. Briefs were turned into thongs over the event.

The outrage was so great that even Christer had to issue what you could call a public apology to the community for blowing the Birth Day and allowing this type of thing to happen. The Birth Day ever since has always become a hot topic on FUMBBL. In the back of every one's minds is that dark day when the Brotherhood was born. To this day, even on the last birthday on FUMBBL. You still hear coaches moaning and complaining about the birth day and making sure Christer does not get it in his head to OP the Birth Day surprise. This is all about the Brotherhood and that dark day.

There is still this boogey man belief out there that there is a birthday team still sitting on the shelf. Ready to make a surprise appearance in a major to this day and blowing it up.

Brotherhood continued to make runs in majors after their big victory but just like the Eaters of their day they got bloated, took on to many Niggles and then they just faded away. But for one year they were right there with the Eaters. Causing coaches to contort into pretzels at the madness of it all.

A lot of coaches did not enter Ranked majors because they were offended at "picking" and thought that was unfair. What the Brotherhood did was just down right cheating in many coaches minds. They refused to ever enter a major again. They actually got large portions of the coach’s ranks to totally quit the ranked div. for a long time.

So in the end.

1) They exploited the Birthday to cause mass anarchy.
2) Took that and ran with it and decimated a major. No other team with the Birthday label managed to do that. Although the Eaters took some shots because they played a few matches on the Birthday.
3) Forced Christer to basically make a public apology. When you get admins to change rules that is one thing. When your team forces Christer to make a public statement...UBER LEGENDARY.
4) Got coaches so mad they quit the major’s scene
5) Effected every birthday from that point forward on how Christer approaches the surprise
6) Still gives coaches the chills that there is some birthday team still stashed away ready to storm a major when the timing is right.

The Brotherhood gets the #1 spot for in the end their legacy on FUMBBL was hands down the most impactful of any team. And to this day the fall out is still felt whenever the Birthday starts getting discussed. These guys will never go away when it comes to the impact that they had.

Now let’s discuss all those other worthy teams that did not make the cut. They did not make the cut because in the end their impact was just not large enough. The rankings were not a black/white comparison of wins/losses. I did not enter the subjective realm of which team was the best on paper in terms of players and so forth. This list was based on # of majors teams won but heavily influenced by the context of their victories. How they affected the FUMBBL majors scene. The great debates they caused. How they became legendary teams that coaches remember.

Winning a major is a big event. But some teams just got stuck in that they won a major during some other great teams run to greatness. Or they were that "other" uber pimped out bash team. The been there done that effect. I wanted to make the list on the teams that I though really stood out when they won their major based on what was going on around them at the time.

The top 25 teams you could say were the most impactful of the major’s winners and some cases not the best teams. LoA for example you could slot at #49 if we want to base this on just who was the best team during their run to greatness. In fact LoA is a good example because they were not even close to the best team in the major they won.

Now I got 2 more lists percolating in my mind. At some point in the future I will get them done for our enjoyment.

Hope you had fun with this. Rip it to shreds and make your own top 25. That is what a top 25 is all about anyway. The discussion and heated debates over a 6 pack of beer.

Last edited by PainState on Jul 24, 2013 - 21:45; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the things I ran across when doing the top 25 was I looked backed on allmost everyone of the prediction threads. There are litterally hundreds of awesome quotes and fun banter.

I pulled these 2 out of the WO III prediction thread when I was looking back on the Brotherhoods run. These were very fun and some what insightful.

Gracehoper wrote:
Perhaps we can talk about a "birthday curse"? (and stop talking about how the birthday ruined the majors forever)

WO open prediction thread 2/08...This is in the context of the Brotherhoods run to greatness.

Uberskiller wrote:
See what happens to JD when he has no uber-team.

Same WO thread after the Eaters took it on the chin from Synn in the opening round to deny the 3 major wins in a row....At the end of the season JD was retired and picked up a new profession.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Painstate, this is hands down the best post / thread I have ever read on this site, really good, well researched, Makes it all interesting and brings it to life, some great analysis. As a coach who has always been kind of out on the periphery, I got a real feel for the dynamics at work for each team. AWESOME!

Thanks.
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 18:11 Reply with quote Back to top

For those of use new to fumbbl (I've been here less than a year) are these teams meant to be emulated or simply honored for their impact. I noted several teams have "fallen" with many injuries or lacking the modern tools (brotherhood only has one cpomb and that's on the Minotaur with 4 jmen) as one of many new coaches trying to find our place here, the amount of great coaches sometimes can be intimidating. This thread reminds me of how much I still have to learn and grow.
I guess what I am trying to say is what is the frame of reference? With CRP being essentially a new game, what are the contemporary stars of the game?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Great post really really made me all nostalgic being reminded of all the majors awsomness. I Think that even purplegoo with all his bottled up anger towards majors would shed a tear of joy.

All thou Azure might not agree with the nr 1 pick no one can argue that a team generated more opinions than the Brotherhood who I some how in the light of history see as cool (original badboys) Hell some would even argue that the "German cheater ring" (one of whom you actually managed to get a quote about the Brotherhood from right?) was Koshor in comparison. Pure Awsomness

Now a couple of questions for milford if he should have the time to answer.

Why did one of Petter's team not reach the list? Or the team that started it all Earthshakers. You only answer if you want to but I am so curious.

And As honored and glad I am to see Lone Stars on nr 14# space I wonder why they where mentioned over Six Hooves Under. Let me expand on this.

While Lone Stars are my most played team and arguably my flagship and most known team. Six hooves is I would argue is the more sucessfull tournament wise of the two all thou they both played a lot of tournaments majors included.

There run to UI VII was done with a rather mediocre team a bunch of CDs with no claws crappy bulls and getting around 500k induce every game. But the real climax after beating orcs and monster elfs came at the final where thy in epic fashion stopped Extraordinary Brotherhood from winning a major in both lrb4 and CRaP rules. When I say epic fashion check out the replay Where a hobo after a lightning bolt had stopped a brotherhood stall grabbed the ball and threw maybe Fumbbls longest pass ever (not counting hailmary and Blunderbuzzes) it was longer than the range ruler and aswome stuff ensured that what looked like a 0-1 down half time was 1-0 up receiving.
To this day I remember this game as my most awsome game on Fumbbl I migh have had luckier but this combined with the context and opponent was the stuf of legends.

Was it because LoA had done the underdog CD thingy?
Any how to me that run was just better than Lone Stars where as you mentioned the stars just aligned in the draw and they could cruse to victory. Again you only answer if you want to or have time to.

Again thanx for one of the best threads. If there is a thread of 2013 this one would get my vote!

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Meanwhile, the Tiny Steel Hammers are wrapping up their victory tour early. They received a simple memo this morning: "We got work to do."
Qaz

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
For those of use new to fumbbl (I've been here less than a year) are these teams meant to be emulated or simply honored for their impact. I noted several teams have "fallen" with many injuries or lacking the modern tools (brotherhood only has one cpomb and that's on the Minotaur with 4 jmen) as one of many new coaches trying to find our place here, the amount of great coaches sometimes can be intimidating. This thread reminds me of how much I still have to learn and grow.
I guess what I am trying to say is what is the frame of reference? With CRP being essentially a new game, what are the contemporary stars of the game?

Some of the teams mentioned like Tiny Steel Hammers are the contemporary of the game. Others mentioned like Rata Blanca and Fleefoot where stars back then and stars in todays CRaP era (Lone Stars are always stars is in the name duh!)

The thread is like discussing boxers. Ofc Ali would have beaten Jack Dempsey but they where not of the same era. Painstate does a great job of talking about the impact the team did in there own time and how they beat/dominated the contemporary competition.

in simple terms Painstates list is both new and old and spans the full history of majors (thou Petter's teams or Earthshakers are not mentioned Wink wink wink PainState)

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Qaz

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing thats not mentioned and is a feather in the hat or helmet or what ever those dwarfs wear is the facet that Tiny Steel Hammers with there GLT IX and GLT VIII win are the only team to ever successfully defend a major title! that is quite an Accomplishment.

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:

Well let’s discuss this because it might give us more insight on what Milfords ultimate intentions are about with the Top 25 list.

The teams that are on the top 25 list are being honored for their impact, fun they generated for all of us and finally that they accomplished a really big goal, win a major. I don’t think you need to emulate them per se. For most of the teams on the list are retired, disbanded or out of date because of the new rule set.

Well maybe one team you could emulate is the Brotherhood. If the Birth Day ever has a OP aspect to it again, jump all over it and play for 24 hours non stop on that day with the same team. Shocked

This list is really deep down a history lesson for all the coaches on FUMBBL. For IMO the majors are the history of the teams and coaches on the sight. League play is large but way to diverse. BUT the majors are very finite and draw a lot of focus. Thus the majority of the community has a common reference when we discuss teams in majors. Due to the fact that a lot of coaches on the site pay attention to them even if they do not participate and check out the prediction threads and keep up to date with what is going on

I have always maintained one golden rule when discussing majors. never focus on the coach but rather focus on the team. Keeping the focus on the team generates a feeling of history and makes this fantasy game feel more real. An epic throw down of legendary teams on the biggest stage in a major. Putting focus on the coach seems to make it appear this is all about them, so to speak. The coach will get his props if his team is successful.

Now on occasion I will mention a famous coach. But it is always in the context of his team. Since it was his team that made him a famous coach to begin with. And of course I have my favorite coaches who I love poking fun at and coming up with strange and weird tales about. I feel that adds more depth of history to the epic tale of FUMBBL majors.

So you could say if your goal is to become a true legend coach on FUMBBL you must first focus on getting a star team up and running and start making deep runs in majors. Because in the end that is how teams go from being stars to legends! Now of course there are other legendary coaches/teams on FUMBBL who have not followed this path to greatness. But this is the sure fired way to the top.

Another aspect of the top 25 is that a lot of these teams are lumped together on when they played. A lot of them had their “run” at the same time. These teams seemed to always be squaring off in the same major which lead to some drama in those majors.

Now for the new coaches, the current FFB Era of majors has the same feel to them. The Tiny Steel Hammers are leading the pack and are the current Competitive Eaters of the day but there are some really stout team’s right behind them. Always making runs in majors and blazing a trail of glory themselves.

Right now the Hammers are being hounded by the To the Top Ranked. There is some high drama now between those two teams. I introduced the Ranked Majors points standing mainly so “we” could see who the movers and shakers on the ranked major’s scene are for the current year/season. There are a lot of good CRP teams but there are also some of the older LRB4 teams still playing at a really high level under the new rule set.

As time goes by I can assure you there will be a top25 list of the CRP major teams. But we need some more history to be made.

So the current top 25 is a blending of the old and the new. Remembering the history of the FUMBBL majors. Honoring those teams of by gone days because the glory has faded but not forgetting their impact they did have.

For new coaches on FUMBBL I would like to think that it gives them some motivation to keep plugging away, grooming their major’s team to attempt to make their own legendary team and one day have a legit shot at claiming a major’s title.

It was a look at the past to remember the history but with the hope it inspires us to make new history as we go forward. But it does seem like history is repeating itself with the Hammers. :}

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Fabulous write up, Milford. Gives me warm fuzzies as my introduction to Bloodbowl included "made up history" that this is reminiscent of... though this all really happened, which makes it that much juicer Smile

Fun stuff!! Keep it up!!
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Very, very , extremely good thread, and thanks to Milford/PainState for making the effort!

Obviously there is no objective way to rate majors winning teams. There will always be people bashing the team for picking/minmaxing/powergaming/clawpombing/birthday exploiting or whatever real or imagined sin.

I for one can surely state that I would have won the major with that team, simply because I'm not good enough as a Bbowl coach.

So yes, the team is it, but I also think that no matter what the route was that coaches stook to their titles, they deserve kudo's apart from the team for being good enough to pull it off.

I mean, it's not like the likes of (in chronological order)Buskopanz, the_special_1, Tuamadre and smallman ever won anything of note. Even the much maligned Malthor only manager to cherrypick his way to a single victory!

P.s. love the #1 spot. I actually listed myself in the haters category in the bio Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
Meanwhile, the Tiny Steel Hammers are wrapping up their victory tour early. They received a simple memo this morning: "We got work to do."

What? Oh dont say it is so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep... your dagger between his ribs made him run off to the land of Competitive Eaters.
You might be the best major coach out there Azure but you will never be a badboy like the Brotherhood.
Girls digg badboys.

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2013 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I quess the Hammers are going to try to find smoked woodstocks big brother who has been made a temple guardian but in reality he is a slave to the system.

So this is a noble quest to free a skinks big brother from bondage.

Or

it could just be another power grab from the Hammers to collect a roster with 50% non dwarfs on it.