21 coaches online • Server time: 06:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...goto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
colourcodedchaos

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm just throwing some ideas around here, so don't hesitate to say if this list is atrocious. I've been wanting to convert some Cathay players for a while, though, and I wanted to have something to do with them other than be a bog-standard Human team with a slightly different aesthetic.

0-16 Acolytes | 6/3/3/7 | Jump Up | A | 60k
0-4 Masters | 7/3/3/8 | Fend, Leap | GA | 90k
0-2 Crane Celestials | 7/3/4/8 | Strip Ball, Leap | GA | 110k
0-2 Lion Celestials | 7/4/3/8 | Diving Tackle, Leap | GS | 110k

Rerolls: 70k
Apothecary: Yes

Star Player:-
Sheng Tan'Lang | 8/4/4/8 | Loner, Nerves of Steel, Sprint, Leap, Diving Catch, Dump Off, Fend | 380k

I wanted to the team to have a martial arts movie feel to it, hence the low armour and Leap on everyone.

Edit 1: Removed Sure Hands from the Crane Masters and Block from the Lion Masters, and bumped up the price of both to 140k. Cut the price of Acolytes to 60k.

Edit 2: Removed Leap from Acolytes and lowered MA to 6, and bumped the price up to 70k.

Edit 3: Put Leap back on the Acolytes. Lowered the prices of Lion and Crane Celestials to 110k and given them AV 8. Lowered the cost of Masters to 90k and gave them A access. Added a Star Player.

Edit 4: Changed the skill on Acolytes to Jump Up and lowered their cost to 60k.

This, on the other hand, is a different take on Khemri - i.e. from before Nagash poisoned the land and turned everyone into the walking dead. Ladies and gentlemen, the Nehekhara team.

0-16 Line Serfs | 6/3/3/7 | --- | G | 50k
0-3 Djaf Runners | 7/2/3/7 | Sprint | G | 80k
0-3 Asaph Breakers | 6/3/3/7 | Wrestle, Tackle | G | 80k
0-4 Pyramid Guard | 5/4/3/7 | Stand Firm | GS | 110k
0-1 Nehekharan Prince | 6/3/3/8 | Leader, Catch, Dauntless | GSA | 150k

The Prince is there as the glory-hogging star (because you know how royalty can get), but the reason the statlines are a little lacklustre is partly balance and partly to show how they're a team from very early in Blood Bowl's history, when the plays were only just being worked out.

Criticism for all teams is very welcome. =]

Last edited by colourcodedchaos on %b %06, %2014 - %19:%Feb; edited 6 times in total
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Powerwise very weak lino, awesome positionals.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

hi welcome to fummbl. Smile

I like your interest in Cathay. I too have made a roster though mine is more based on the existing fluff of the region, though I do understand where yours is coming from, based on the old chinese kung fu films with flying monks and the like which is pretty cool Smile

That said Im not a huge fan of the roster over all. it reminds me too much of slann

also you should create a team here and play some games Smile

Positionals start with 2 dbls? not even a WD is as strong as these Lion masters and they are just 10k more expensive. just imagine he would roll +ag... nope way to op
Hitonagashi

Acolytes are probably overpriced a little. They are less durable Slann linemen, who are worse at leaping, for 10k more.

On the flip side - Crane Masters and Lion Masters are drastically underpriced. Look at it like this...if the positionals would become the best positional in the game, you always want to tone them down.

In this case, no other team starts with ST 4 block. Diving tackle + leap just makes them even more ludicrous!

In addition, the Crane Masters are at one fell swoop the ideal ball strippers and the ideal ball carriers. We mostly class the Wardancer as the best player in the game - your player with two skills is pretty much as good as a WD with 2 skills

For me: I'd lose Block off the Lion Masters (and reduce their price to 120k), and lose either SB or SH off the Crane Masters.

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

FYI here is my Cathay team - https://fumbbl.com/help:CathayT

this is based on the sparse material in existence for the region, hopefully it will give you some ideas Smile

have a read through the fluff etc...

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the help! I'll update the list with your suggestions. The Crane Masters were supposed to be the ideal ball strippers, but you're right, I went a bit overboard. =]
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

colourcodedchaos wrote:

I wanted to the team to have a martial arts movie feel to it, hence the low armour and Leap on everyone. Any pointers for what I can do to make it better would be gratefully appreciated. =]

That maybe what you want, but what is your justification? And that is very important.

Humans are, after all humans. Dwarfs are after all Dwarfs. I'd like my Dwarfs to have MA 8, but I can't justify that. Your team I think is unfortunately overdescribed and I could never justify a human lineman having A access instead of G access. Simply you are re-inventing the human to fit your list.

As Garion said, Cathay are difficult. Especially, as the very little fluff we have is more of hints and rumours. What makes things worse the stance may have changed.

The first thing is, do you buy into the monkey theme? I'd rather not, to be honest. Then after that, where do you look? Probably your first port of call should be Warhammer ancients, with an essence of kung fu.

All that said, it's probably a fun team to play, and it's always good when someone's looking to add authentic rosters.
colourcodedchaos

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't go for the monkey theme (because otherwise the Jade Lion magic item in the Ogre Kingdoms book would probably be called a Jade Monkey), but the whole Mountain of Heaven thing that keeps showing up just screams ancient Chinese hill temple to me. A access on the Acolytes is to reflect their status as warrior monks trained in secret martial arts, and also to tie in with the running game that I wanted them to play. I think I'll knock the MA down to 6 and get rid of Leap on them, then bump the price back up to 70k. Hopefully that'll work a bit better.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

No reason both can't exist together. We know there are monks that live in the mountains of heaven and we know they are guarded by foo statues. These are fact. The monkey thing is up in the air really but there is no reason they can't both come from that region. Monkey warriors are very fitting with the Chinese theme .

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2014 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Now you have way overpriced the Linemen. With that stat line and access to only one category of skills, they should be at 40k. (See Thralls for example.) Now they cost as much as an Elven Lineman, but lose 1 AG, 1 AV and G access. So add Leap and reduce the cost to 60k OR use ordinary Human lineman.

By the way, if the Apprentices are still learning how to be proper warrior monks, and are AV 8, why are they losing 1 AV when they finish their training?

The Crane Masters are overpriced as well. A Witch Elf has the same stat line, the same skill access and sports 3 ordinary skills, so the Crane Masters have 1 ordinary skill less, but cost 30k more than a Witch Elf. So reduce their cost to 100k.

Other than being absolutely overpriced, I like the team...
colourcodedchaos

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2014 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Changed things around according to the various recommendations and added a Nehekharan team. All critiques greatly appreciated. =]
 Jump to: