70 coaches online • Server time: 20:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Glomp

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2005 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, agility teams don't necessarily have a disadvantage compared to strength teams, they just don't cause that many injuries but have an easier time to score and get some extra SPP (like a pass). People are just afraid that one of their players might get hurt.

I think thats a prime reason for people to try and run every team in the book.

If more people started running undead variant teams they'd learn to get less attached to specific players pretty quickly.

They might also learn why its necessary to give elves low AV and to make them less useful in a fight.

It might even end the silly fouling debate when people realise that attempting to generate casualties on key elf players is often a necessary win condition.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2005 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow Im shocked at how so many people perceive ranked , I even saw somebody say that team development was more important than winning ,

Thats just Lame

the purpose of ranked was to see who could win the most games with their teams , get hold of your crown jewls and get yer elves stuck into a decent fight , the fact that you win the game is rewarded with extra cash and a chance to increase FF , also youll score your spps and enjoy beating the bashers .

And nearly every game you'll score a touchdown where you'll sit back and smile to yourself about how cool that TD looked
VanityBadger

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2005 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Forget the win incentives...

New to posting, but i think the advantage of the agile teams is the numerous spp's from the completions and TD's that bashy teams severly lack. I can get a "new" elf lino some skills in 1-2 matches while a new black orc or rotter take 4-ever to get spp's

So there's no need for an extra reward for winning.
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2005 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Bascrebolder wrote:

Because I do think there is a problem when agility teams have a structural disadvantage compared to
bashing teams. We agree on that don’t we? Why else would so many coaches avoid bashing teams in
the first place?

Heh, I'm not sure I'd agree with that, and it looks like some others don't either (we do agree there is a structural disadvantage to AG teams when it comes to bashing, but not that this is a problem, per se). Seems to me more like the main 'problem' is that AG teams cherry pick endlessly around bashier teams based on an assumption that their players will always be killed.

It is a game balance function that AG teams have a structural disadvantage (as AvatarDM and Iquisitorpustus mentioned). As a coach of both extremely elfy AND extremely bashy teams, I can't help but note that:
a) my wood elves have won games with three players on the pitch - including tree that Took Root, and been in decent enough shape to win the next game.
b) my 4 Claw chaos team has caused all of 1 permanent injury in its last 4 games (was 5 claw for three of those games). One of these games was vs. elves. Two featured AV7 hobgoblins.

While it is true that it can be disheartening to see a nice clean elf team fouled to death, this doesn't happen because the game is broken, but because bashy teams have to bash to be able to win. I agree that softer teams shouldn't be playing bash teams every game, or even every other game if they want long-term survivability. But suggesting that this is due to a serious game mechanic problem is overstating the issue by quite a bit, IMHO.

Final Edit: Winning is already VERY important: for the 2 point FF roll swing. FF dropping is the one thing can and will ruin every team. The bashiest team in the world, if they fail to beat elves (despite beating them up) will eventually have their FF drop to the point of unplayability.
 Jump to: