34 coaches online • Server time: 01:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann teams have always interested me. They have an unique play style, and some really interesting starting skills. Blitzers with the holy trinity of General, Strength, AND agility access, but without the weak armor of the Amazons or the bloodlust of vamps.

It seems they can do so much. However, how do I suggest I start out with this team without dodge or block?

I built a 2 Blitzer, 1 Catcher, four reroll build (will be trying to skill up the blitzers first, and didn't want to many strength two player at the start).
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently started a slaan team with 3 catchers, 1 blitzer, and 3 rerolls. I'm no happygrue, but here's a couple of things I've learned about playing low-tv slaan:

1) Your Kroxigor is your bread and butter early. Try and block with him every turn, but make sure you get three dice. 3D mighty blow is very powerful when nobody else on your team even has block.

2) Unless it's a game-winning play, don't leap with your AG3 players. In fact, forget that your linemen and blitzer even have leap. If you do decide to leap, assume you will fail and the player will get injured.

3) Catchers are pretty damn good, but pretend they are skinks. They are easy 3D blocks for any low-tv hitter, and are easy to knock down without block or dodge. Keep them well-hidden.

4) Remember that you are an AV8 team. That talk about slaan being fragile is nonsense. You are just as durable as any other AV8 team so long as you keep the catchers hidden. You can't play off like elves and expect to force a turnover, so position well and try to win the blocking war as best you can.

5) By all means, hand off to the blitzer if you can, but win the game first. That means that the catchers will do most of the scoring early. They are actually your least-overpriced players and are only 120k with blodge.

6) Once your blitzer has block, he can take over the blitzing duties from the Kroxigor. The sooner he gets block/mighty blow the better.

7) Since Slaan are already overpriced and skill-poor, early stats can do more harm than good. +AG is amazing anywhere, but +MA is pretty iffy under 1200tv.

Cool Prehensile Tail works well with the diving tackle blitzers.

I've never taken a slaan team past 1500tv because I stop getting ranked games once the blitzer has piling on... but I've had some fun at low tv with them.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2014 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I can suggest how not to start a slann team... after that I probably should have retired and restarted, but I'm a sucker for punishment.

My limited experience would suggest if you want to win, take catchers, if you want to build a team long-term and don't mind suffering on the way, take blitzers. And I definitely definitely agree with point 2 above.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think, beyond style of play, you have the right idea with 4 rerolls. Absolute must.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2014 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be several good threads on this subject already on the forum, at least one fairly recent.
Frogs are fun, good luck

SL
 Jump to: