49 coaches online • Server time: 18:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which would you like to see in tournaments?
HUMans, UNFORLORN!!!
26%
 26%  [ 27 ]
ORCZ, cuz teh iz da bestust?
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
DORFS and C Dorfs is stoopid, but they can win
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
An E.L.F. team, make another poll with the different elves
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
CHAOS or the Pacts, blood for the blood god
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Hobgoblin Hotel, the ag3 av7 teams
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
the forlorn teams
17%
 17%  [ 18 ]
Stunty? Kidding?
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
this is stoopid, i vote for pie
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 102

garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 21:07 Reply with quote Back to top

+Ma player with -MA. surely gotta go. Even with a crazy team it doesn't mean awful. Elesewise it is looking like a decent team. A few Block guard players are definitely important for humies. I would agree on block for a human thrower ball carrier too.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course I see that. But I refused for fluff reasons and because he's not all awful, if you don't take the wasted TV into account.

The question really is how much freedom the "godfather" has. Is he allowed to pick any skills? Is he bound to "optimal" building (but if that's the case, what use is a godfather)?

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 22:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The real reason to sack him is what the hairy little blighter does to the drains in the shower room.

As for being a serious team: we're playing a game that is a parody of American Football with elves and goblins. I'd take more offense at being called a serious team than a non-serious team Wink

Join the Human League Premiership!
JetsamJay

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the stated goal, however lofty it may be, is to unforlorn Humans. With that in mind I think the godfathers should pick their skills.
Basically just decide which role their player is going to fill. I.e. Inana is the team's killer now, it wouldn't make much sense for another godfather to try to fill the exact same role, so they'd choose a different, but equally important, path.

The problem with Brae is that he doesn't follow a clear path. If he's supposed to be a QB shouldn't he have Block? If he's supposed to be a back-up sweeper shouldn't he have Tackle or Strip Ball instead of Accurate? (Although I think that role is best left to another player. Certainly not the team's only Thrower.)
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

All pile on Rabe!

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2014 - 23:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends. Up to the coach to say what he is after: a fluffy mostly serious team or one with more fluff then sense hehe

Obviously taking totally silly skills without checking with the coach, would be bad form in both though

SL
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2014 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hicl wrote:
Well the stated goal, however lofty it may be, is to unforlorn Humans. With that in mind I think the godfathers should pick their skills.
Basically just decide which role their player is going to fill. I.e. Inana is the team's killer now, it wouldn't make much sense for another godfather to try to fill the exact same role, so they'd choose a different, but equally important, path.

this is the crux of the conversation as i see it

Hicl wrote:
The problem with Brae is that he doesn't follow a clear path. If he's supposed to be a QB shouldn't he have Block? If he's supposed to be a back-up sweeper shouldn't he have Tackle or Strip Ball instead of Accurate? (Although I think that role is best left to another player. Certainly not the team's only Thrower.)

i can see the value of adding wrestle after accurate, as i have succeeded on 31 passes, and after i needed a cage corner that could sweep when our dice went sour. But maybe i should adopt a more Running game?

Dunenzed wrote:
The real reason to sack him is what the hairy little blighter does to the drains in the shower room.

As for being a serious team: we're playing a game that is a parody of American Football with elves and goblins. I'd take more offense at being called a serious team than a non-serious team Wink

i may have overstated the issue. I do respect the sponsoring coach's skill picks for their player and follow their choices. Not only do i realize others are more skilled at our hobby, both with humans and with other teams, but i have specced some major matches that had some interesting skill choices. The problem i may be running into is my VERY real lack of skill or experience with human or other "hybrid" teams. If a sponsoring coach Says "take accurate followed by wrestle" i will take the choices. bear in mind i may not understand WHY those are good picks for that player. i do think the team is developing fairly well, all things considered as I am still learning HOW to play this team well, especially in the Ranked meta. consequently, i may be getting picked. (the shower room drains ARE a real problem, BTW)

the thing is i DON'T KNOW WHY i am losing more with this team than others.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2014 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Trying a lot of passes?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2014 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Gnome and dwarf were sitting on a table in the corner of the tavern's main room, staring into their mugs of beer. Finally the gnome looked at the other. His face and voice both told of how sorry he was.

"Brae... I know it's hard, but it's not the end of the world-"

"It's not?! Maybe not for you! You are coach of a gazillion teams and no-one will ever tell you to step back because you suck at this game and only win one ouot of three times! But me?
'He's too slow!' they say, despite me still being as fast as any average dwarf runner or human lineman!
'He doesn't know what he wants, doesn't fill a role properly.' they say. I know very well what I want and coach Bullroarer does understand it, too! It may not be the common approach, but I thought with him hiring a dwarf, it was different!"

The dwarf took a long sip from his beer.

"He'd give me a chance, he said. Talked about this 'Adoption Center'. How I would fit in perfectly. And now, what? Too much hair in the shower room drains?! What kind of 'Adoption Center' is this?!"

"Brae... they are humans. They don't have my genius or your willpower and consistency. Some of them talk about tolerance all the time and how flexible they are. But in the end, they are as xenophobic as any other race."

The gnome scratched his little chin beard.

"You think it was easy to become coach of a dwarven team as a gnome? Why do you think the Monsters lineup mainly consists of outsiders and expatriates?"

He gives the dwarf a long, thoughtful look. Brae returns it, wriggling about on his chair.

"What is it? What is it, Rabe?! Got more great ideas how to defend the humans? Thinking of other ways how to tell me that it's just normal I don't fit in?! I don't need that from my godfather, those humans have done that pretty well already. I think I'd rather go... Maybe there's some low-down BB7s team I could join, or some chaos pact..."

"No, Brae. You're better than that. We both know it. And I think I know a team you'd fit right in."

"Oh really? Now, what team would that be, eh?"

"The Agility Monsters. I think they have underestimated you in the recruitment office. We can make it work."

"Oh."

Rabe keeps scrutinizes the dwarf thoughtfully, Brae gazes at the gnome in disbelief.

"You mean... you're saying... are you serious?!"

"Yes, Brae. I am. You'd perfectly fit in. We also have superior shower drains."

"Wow... I mean... just wow..."

Rabe smiles.

"It might be a while though, you know. We have two runners already-"

"I know, I know! Rhoda and Nogli - I know all about them. They are great and I wish them all the best! They are awesome! I'll gladly wait - for decades, if necessary!"

Brae jumps down his chair, circuits the table and squeezes the coach with the pointy hat.

"I won't disappoint you, Rabe, I won't!"

Two hours later, coach Bullroarer finds a letter of resignation on his desk: "Dear coach, I know things got too hairy for you, my teammates and the other godfathers. If you believe you're better off without me, so it be. Farewell! Brae Borginsson"

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2014 - 09:08 Reply with quote Back to top

OOC: Please retire Brae and put me onto the waiting list for a lineman. I'd like to stay on the team, but rather take care of a "dull" lino, if it's all about building the players conventionally.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2014 - 09:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Love it Rabe!
Go Brae! Very Happy

SL
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2014 - 03:41 Reply with quote Back to top

DRPoods beats himself

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2014 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
DRPoods beats himself

Perhaps that could have been phrased better... Razz

In any event, he skilled and rolled +ST!! I would think that is a net win.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2014 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

nine more to go before decision time

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rookie Nurgle takes a beating