51 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

BlueDevil420 wrote:
gjopie wrote:

Black Chasm Rush vs Nidhoggstad Icedragons is due to be played tomorrow evening.

What time?

8pm server time, I believe.

Congratulations to Cyrus-Havoc on the Kislev Plate win! Palinam Diadochi are our first Royal Pardon holders this season, and since they've been promoted, they'll get a chance to use it in next season's draft.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooo a get out of Jail free card.

(I might need reminding how to use it!)

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Another game announcement: tonight at 10pm the Pillars should meet the Godlords. This should fill the final spot for the Cup finale.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
BlueDevil420 wrote:
gjopie wrote:

Black Chasm Rush vs Nidhoggstad Icedragons is due to be played tomorrow evening.

What time?

8pm server time, I believe.

It looks like we'll be moving the game back to Thursday (hopefully) to celebrate Germany beating Brazil tonight.

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2014 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The Godlords go the finale leaving the pillars behind... Nuffle favored the short legs tonight, I'll wait for payback and good luck to the Lords!
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jul 09, 2014 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Too many both down results was bad news for the Pillars, so the Goldlords march on.

Amazingly (given the age of the two teams) the Vagabonds and Goldlords will be meeting for the first time in the final.
BlueDevil420

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2014 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Suggestion to improve the interconference cup next season:
Let one conference do all picks for round 2 and the other conference for round 3. Then let the conference that didnt pick the games assign two bonus points each round.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2014 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

BlueDevil420 wrote:
Suggestion to improve the interconference cup next season:
Let one conference do all picks for round 2 and the other conference for round 3. Then let the conference that didnt pick the games assign two bonus points each round.

Yeah, was planning on something like this. There's no point staggering the choices if there are limited options in the final round.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The two team coaches from the Barak Varr Goldlords and the Wasteland Vagabonds have congregated in the drafting hall, and are deliberating over their options while the rest of the teams are touring the continent, spreading the word of the greatest league in the Old World.

Stay tuned for more news!

PS. We're recruiting! PM me if you are interested.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2014 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The OWCC is pleased to announce that the sixth official draft has now finished, the Royal Pardons have been called in, and we are almost ready for Season VII. Here is what happened:

Round 1
Dark Lands Predators transferred to Albion.
Frostheim United automatically transferred to Bretonnia
Serpents Coast Scavengers stay in Bretonnia
New Bretonnia Expatriates automatically stay in Albion

The two champions from last season are obviously already assigned to the two conferences: the Barak Varr Goldlords in Albion and the Wasteland vagabonds in Bretonnia. Since Team Albion won the Inter-Conference Shield for the third time in a row, the Goldlords got the first pick, and they used it to bring the Dark Lands Predators over to Albion. In return, Frostheim United were automatically sent over to Bretonnia (to keep the one race per conference rule). With their first pick, the Vagabonds re-signed the Scavengers to the Bretonnia Conference, which confirmed that the Expats would remain in Albion for another season.

Round 2
Scalded Delta Dogz stay in Albion
Dark Lands Predators transferred to Bretonnia

With the initial maneouvring out of the way, both coaches chose to use their second picks on single-race teams. The Goldlords kept the necromantic Delta Dogz in Albion, while the Vagabonds transferred the dark elf Cripplers to Bretonnia for the coming season.

Round 3
Pillars of Nagash transferred to Albion
Arkhan Faraohs automatically drafted to Bretonnia
Sylvania Rises drafted to Bretonnia

The third round had a distinct undead theme, as the dwarves chose to transfer the Pillars of Nagash to Albion (forcing the promoted Arkhan Faraohs into the Bretonnia Conference, who they stepped up to represent in the Inter-Conference Shield last season), and the Vagabonds drafted the relatively new vampires from Sylvania Rises.

Round 4
Turov's Infected drafted to Albion
Diseased Wasters automatically stay in Bretonnia
Elves of Albion drafted to Bretonnia

Appearing in the Kislev Conference last season, Turov's Infected were drafted into the Albion Conference by the Goldlords in the fourth round. This meant that the Diseased Wasters would remain in Bretonnia for another season. Then the Vagabonds recruited another Kislevite team, the Elves of Albion, to the Bretonnia Conference.

Round 5
Palinam Diadochi drafted to Albion
Athel Loren BBoDT drafted to Bretonnia

Two more Kislevite teams were drafted in the fifth round (respectfully far down the draft), with Kislev Plate (and Royal Pardon) holders Palinam Diadochi being initially drafted to Albion, while Athel Loren BBoDT went to Bretonnia.

Round 6
Lahmia Undead United drafted to Albion
Malice of Karond Kar choose Bretonnia
Nilfheim Lumberjacks stay in Albion
Uzkulak Pirates stay in Albion

Due to forced picks, the conferences were not quite even going into the sixth round, which made things a little complicated. However, Albion got their next pick, the returning Lahmia Undead United, to help even things up a little. At this point, the Kislev Champions, Malice of Karond Kar, entered the draft hall, and chose to take the last spot in the Bretonnia Conference. This meant that both the Nilfheim Lumberjacks (winners of a Royal Pardon through the Inter-Conference Shield) and the Uzkulak Pirates would both remain in Albion for the coming season.

Royal Pardons
Palinam Diadochi switch to Bretonnia
Diseased Wasters switch to Albion
Nilfheim Lumberjacks switch to Bretonnia
Dark Crag Cripplers switch to Albion

After the initial draft results were published, Kislev Plate holders Palinam Diadochi decided to pull in a few favours and switch over to Bretonnia, taking the place of the Diseased Wasters. The Nilfheim Lumberjacks also preferred the look of the Bretonnian Conference, sending the Dark Crag Cripplers back the other way.

After all the movement, this is how the two conferences look:

Albion
Barak Varr Goldlords
Dark Crag Cripplers
Dark Lands Predators
Diseased Wasters
Lahmia Undead United
New Bretonnia Expatriates
Pillars of Nagash
Scalded Delta Dogz
Turov's Infected
Uzkulak Pirates

Bretonnia
Wasteland Vagabonds
Arkhan Faraohs
Athel Loren BBoDT
Elves of Albion
Frostheim United
Malice of Karond Kar
Nilfheim Lumberjacks
Palinam Diadochi
Serpents Coast Scavengers
Sylvania Rises

So, as always, what do you think about the draft? The Albion Conference has three major conference winners in (Barak Varr Goldlords, New Bretonnia Expatriates, and Uzkulak Pirates) and two minor conference winners (Dark Crag Cripplers and Lahmia Undead United). Will the winner come from one of those established teams? The Bretonnia Conference, on the other hand, looks very elfy at first glance. Could we see the first elven Challenge Cup winner this season?

Once we have a few more teams in the Kislev Conference, we'll get started. You have until 10th August to play your post-season tour matches.

Post   Posted: Aug 04, 2014 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Looking at that draw I'm especially happy I got to switch out of Albion Smile
Nablah

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I always thought that dwarves were a great counter pick for elves, are Goldlords afraid of them?
As BlueDevil said Albion looks tough, I guess some bones are going to be broken Smile
We shall see what nuffle thinks of it Wink
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I always get picked last Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 14:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure you were one of my first picks last season, and boy did that turn out badly Razz
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 05, 2014 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
Round 1
Serpents Coast Scavengers stay in Bretonnia
New Bretonnia Expatriates automatically stay in Albion

...With their first pick, the Vagabonds re-signed the Scavengers to the Bretonnia Conference, which confirmed that the Expats would remain in Albion for another season.

Wow, I take that as a high compliment! With my showing this last season, not 100% sure it's completely justified, but I'll try to live up to it!

BlueDevil420 wrote:
Looking at that draw I'm especially happy I got to switch out of Albion Smile

I agree 100%, only the reverse of everything you said. Gonna be a tough road with some familiar foes in Albion! Evil or Very Mad

(Otoh, the winner of a soft division may find an unpleasant welcome in the post-season...) Twisted Evil

And on that point, I'll offer some unsolicited advice for new(er) coaches to the upper Leagues - easily worth twice what you're paying for it...
    1) The regular season is short! 5 games means that 1 dropped game probably puts you on the bubble. A record of 3-1-1 rarely makes the post-season (it failed the Expats this last season!), 4-1-0 has not always been good enough for the bye, and iirc some teams that hoped to finish 4-0-1 knew they could still face tie-breakers going in to their last game.

b) There are some VERY tough teams out there - some bash, some dash, but most all the top are very skilled. Remember that this is Swiss - win and you play better and better teams. Plan to build before you expect to keep winning.

iii) Related to both the above points, decide now if you're going to put an emphasis on winning, or building. Pride and bragging rights are all fine, but if you don't have a (realistic) shot at the post-season, don't risk losing your best players on desperation plays to win or tie just so you can play another tough team next game.

(This is especially true in the between-season "friendly" matches!)

NOT suggesting you "throw" a game, but no one remembers the teams that "almost made the post-season their first season" (except their coaches, of course). I know it's not a proud choice, but it could be a long-term winning strategy to put team development over win/loss record in your first season(s).

(The Expat's first season was perfect - 0-0-4*, plus a Cup loss - and their second was not much better. THEN, Season iii, they went to town...) Wink

(* First few seasons were only 4 games long - ouch!)

So - first build, then win.

GL!

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: