58 coaches online • Server time: 21:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which skill?
Side step - the obvious choice
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Pass - he is doubling as a thrower anwyway
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Dump off - so annoying
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Sure feet - run like the wind
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Other
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like guard would only be valid if he was able to take side step later especially at AV7.
Severedunit

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

DP - for when the game goes south and you need him off the pitch: might as well go out with a +1 Wink
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Severedunit wrote:
DP - for when the game goes south and you need him off the pitch: might as well go out with a +1 Wink

Haha I actually considered this when my HE had an ag5 Thrower. He did a lot of fouling!

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 21:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure what skill may combo with ag6. Probably sure hands is best for that. But alrady has that.

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone, some good conflicting opinions. Smeat, we normally run 12 when we can afford it. Last game was a slightly special case due to a couple of players missing.
Would be interesting to hear the best coaches with these different opinions arguing it out Smile
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't have taken the 6th ag. I think this player would be awesome with either:
- leap + guard
- side step + sure feet

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

On consideration, since he has Ag 6, put it to use - Pass might not be the worst choice. Make him your initial ballhandler but not scorer. As only St 2, he's a victim waiting to happen. So MA 9 gets him anywhere on the field, Agil 6 Sure Hands picks up any loose ball, Dodge gets him out again, and then (even in TZ's), he passes it out again, hopefully to a scorer so that drive ends and he's safe again.

Meanwhile, a Passer who can sit back near his own endzone but run/dodge to near the LoS is a headache to chase and impossible to defend against, and that DOES keep him safe.

Not the worst game plan.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
Would be interesting to hear the best coaches with these different opinions arguing it out Smile

There is no argument (I mean, read Jimmy's signature... Wink). Guard is God.

Every time an Elf takes a passing skill, a little chunk of the world's collective sanity evaporates.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Ag 6 = Long Pass on 2+ - that's already rather disturbing by itself. Wink

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Harad

Post   Posted: Jul 31, 2014 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I could be wrong but AG6 isn't that great for passing. The modifier is on the roll. So a long pass is 3+. AG6 is awesome for dodging and picking up but somewhat wasted on passing.

I read Jimmy's signature and would agree with him but...I try not to leave the catcher next to anyone. The hard work is for other people. He stays fresh so that if the ball pops out he can carry it away. Maybe I'm being too preciuos about him. But at the moment, with no other really good players, if he gets injured, we struggle to have an edge.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2014 - 00:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I am going to predict his future death. Ball is on the ground, he dodges some and gets to it and just needs to pass it and get himself and others out of harms way. Fails pass, gets blitzed and not only him but two other elves die.

~-----

I also want to add that just because he can perform a gimmick play (OTS) doesn't mean you need to load all of the skills to make him THAT gimmick.
Bobs

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2014 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap, any loose ball anywhere can be gotten to. Then dodge out.

notbobby125

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2014 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:

opponent a little less likely to block you.
can't push you out of range for scoring etc.
doesn't have to fear frenzy or the side of the pitch.
a marginally easier ottd against certain setups.

Side Step also allows you to mark a player very effectively, although a two strength stat freak is most likely not the best choice for such a role.

If you Cal is knocked over, you get to dictate where he lands, which can be on the ball (to hopefully send it into the tackle zone or hands of one of your players) or close up a tackle zone less path (assuming Cal is injuried or knocked out).

However, I would really consider Leap. Between 6 agility and Sure hands, you could pick up a loose ball very reliably, particularly in conjunction with your strip balling Wardancer, marked by a large amount of players. You then could proceed to dodge straight out of range, then hand it off/throw the ball to someone else for a score.
 Jump to: