24 coaches online • Server time: 04:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

second off topic post..... read the first post again.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

It wasn't off topic. Just mentioning how to counter the dodgy style (which was raised earlier in the post). Besides, everyone knows the elf tactic handbook consists of only one line...

"Don't roll a one!"

Seriously tho...

Play like a pansie early and be more aggressive when you have blodgers...

but please don't whinge when you fail on your 8th 2+ dodge in a turn.

Norse and zons can't be compared to woodrows (or each other).

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2004 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

From the few av7 teams I´ve played... I´ve been very aggressive. Really though... it´s hurt more than it´s worth (least I felt good).
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

An answer to the initial post: I think I read between the lines that your brother perceives his luck as worse when he plays elves compared to bashier teams. This is most probably not true. I have found that a lot of coaches seem to be oblivious to the fact that 2+ dodges are a LOT more risky than 2d blocks. Four skulls in a row doesn't happen very often but failed elven dodges happens in every match. My advice would be: block more than you dodge. Even without block it's less risky (assuming you throw 2-d blocks of course but those are the only ones you are aming for on a regular basis anyway, right?

You should always play aggressively but that doesn't mean that you should set your players up for slaughter. A rule of thumb in the blocking game for all teams but particularily low av ones is to not follow up if you fail to knock your opponent down. A lot of coaches make follow-ups thinking that it is good to keep the opposing player from moving. That is of course true in many cases but simple probability tells us that if you give your opponent more blocking opportunities, he will knock you down more often and in turn hurt more players.

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Well all you have to do with elves is notice your ample movement. your catchers arent just scorers, they are great defenders' almost as good as werewolves i feel.

a good deep kick by the kickert to an orc defence and a few Ma9 sidestep, blodging, shadowing catchers chasing the ball carrier in the deep backfield will have that ball in no time! I have found it works amazingly well with my woodelves.

A good kick is paramount to a successful elven defence
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

When you compare 1 die blocks (without block) with 3+ dodges, there is the same chance to go down. But there is an advantage with the block: The opponent may go down in at least 1 of 6 cases.

sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Jan 01, 2005 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with tinki, if you need to cover a hole, better leave you guy in contact from opponent as dodging caused it could fail.
jetliracer

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2005 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

With my woodies I always try to use my superior MA to get me 2d blocks and then NOT follow up. Much more satisfying than trying to dodge and falling on your skinny butt. It also leaves more field to play on rather than edging back and slowly cornering your elves. When I can't get a 2dblock then I consider dodging - all dependent on what I'm facing.
Woodies thrive on lots of space.
Maybe your brother can benefit from this as well...
 Jump to: