93 coaches online • Server time: 22:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Agree or disagree?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 40 ]
Total Votes : 52

Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Block. For the overall team stability.

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

DeZigma wrote:

Well +ST is always worth to be taken!!!

Not on snotlings, for example. Very Happy
By the way I like Dodge on BoBs, ST 4 Blodge Guard players are great.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

As an experiment i've taken Tackle after Block and Guard on a couple of BOB's in the latest ones I am developing. Couple of reasons for this: hard to get games with too much MB (I already have 4), helps dealing with dodge on St4 players, helps greatly vs elves.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
As an experiment i've taken Tackle after Block and Guard on a couple of BOB's in the latest ones I am developing. Couple of reasons for this: hard to get games with too much MB (I already have 4), helps dealing with dodge on St4 players, helps greatly vs elves.

If you choose your skills to get quick games and not aiming to efficiency then your choices are biased, you could find even more game with Pass Block or Sneaky Git on BOBs Very Happy .
Tackle is better on Blitzers because they are faster and can reach more easily the (generally) fast blodgers.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

True, but getting games is only one of the reasons.
Yes i'd agree Tackle is better on Blitzers and they get it too; the question for me is will Tackle be better as a 3rd skill than MB on BOB's.
I'll have a better idea in a few games time Smile
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It isn't a good poll, because as an answer to "do you agree or disagree?" neither of the answers tells you how the respondent thinks. Technically:

"Yes" means "yes, I agree or disagree". No indication which though.

"No" means "no, I neither agree nor disagree". So this tells you they have no opinion at all.

Luckily, most people have gone with the basic assumption that it's always wise to say no to your advice.

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Block first. Stabilises the player and helps to skill up. Guard would be best but it's a long way from there to the second skill.
MB helps skilling but just isn't what the player needs. Essentially its forgoing a needed skill to skill faster. In the end it's just slower skilling to get to guard (third skill), which is the skill that makes the BOB really good.

stat ups waste precious chances to skill something useful.

Taking doubles early on does not make sense when all the good skills are normal rolls. Only skill I'd forgo for a double would be MB as third skill. But it's still a shame because even MB is rocking awsome. Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick off return and pass block first, clearly

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
IMO the first skill up for a Black Orc should be Mighty Blow...Makes getting to 16+ easier.

You can stop right there. Does taking MB skill them up faster to 16? It is possible (depends on who you are playing against)...but why does that matter for an Orc team? To me, your entire premise is flawed here. You seem to forget the team and are talking about BOBs almost in a vacuum. Focus is that they are part of a team and their low MA and AG means they are support pieces - ideal to make hard to shift guarders...not killing machines.

Black Orcs: Block --> Guard --> MB/Stand Firm
Doubles: Diving tackle
Ignore any stat other than +ST
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If a black orc get's a skill up at low TV block is the best choice. You will not be facing that much block/wrestle. However, if the first skill is much later in a team's career (say you had to replace a BO), then guard becomes the best choice. It depends entirely on how much block you think you will and will not be facing.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

notbobby125 wrote:
It depends entirely on how much block you think you will and will not be facing.

Actually I'd tend to think that avoiding turnovers on blocks isn't a mere additional assett to the Block skill but rather its main purpose. The fact that the player remains standing is just the bonus. Just as is causing additional cas. The other team having Wrestle or Block too, doesn't really make Block less needed. Both teams having Block it's even more obvious, because then you have a st4 player next to somebody else next turn.
Also survivability is always huge for long term skilling.

But I guess a high level Orc team lacking Guard isn't good either.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2014 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

<nods>

How much Block your oppo has is largely irrelevant as to whether or not you fail b/c you don't have Block (long-term positioning aside). All that changes is whether your target falls when you roll Both-Down - but your BOB is on the ground either way. (It's just admittedly worse if your target is still standing.)

Wreckage wrote:
Also survivability is always huge for long term skilling.

This was mentioned in passing above, but is not to be under-estimated.

I could grind the math, but 4 no-block BOB's will generate several fails each game (1x per 9 blocks, on average), and your opponent will be knocking them down every chance he gets.

AV 9 will break eventually, and a perm will show up at some point. (And fouls can only happen if they are on the ground first.)

The fewer times you have to see those dice rolled, the longer they survive to get to that next skill.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
 Jump to: