74 coaches online • Server time: 20:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Having issues launch...goto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Bullroarer4 wrote:
Initially i see some "bloat" on your roster. when learning the basics, keeping your TV trim will let you play "fairer" matches, with the bloat you face higher skilled teams. teams that can exploit those weaknesses. your skill choices are Fine. losing the assistant coaches and a team RR (or two) will change dramatically the calibure of team you face, possible enough to overcome some coaching skill deficit. Amazons and chaos dorfs, especially at your current TV, are VERY competitive.

Thank you - helpful advice Smile

I am a fixer. And my services are valued.

Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Do you pass the ball regularly or only turn 8/16 for spp or when it's the last option?

I usually try an cage it and march up the pitch, bashing my way through. However, you can probably already surmise how well that is working out for me. Smile

sann0638

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:

Just to clarify - the foul was committed by my dirty player so I felt little risk. Had it worked it might have swung things more in my favour.

Quick one - this makes it *more* risky for a turnover, as you are more likely to get sent off as you are more likely to break armour Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
You conceeded.

Do you know what the percentage is for games won after a concession?

9%?

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Overhamsteren wrote:
To be fair both good coaches above me would have lost orcs vs zons with those armour rolls. Very Happy

Pfff, are you kidding? I could have taken the game from the point where he conceeded and still finished it on a tie or better. A couple of failed armor rolls are nothing to get the spirits down about.

how very helpful

howtobeaprickgiving"advice" 101?

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Jamerson wrote:

The point I conceded I had 3 players left on the pitch - the rest were out (with 1 dead). My opponent had 10.

The point I was trying to make is this: A lot of games sway left and fourth and in competative play you will often find yourself in very difficult situations.

In this case you had a couple of KOs and 3 players in the injury box. Your opponent had 1 KO.

A lot could have happend over half time. Your KOs might have come back, his KOs might have been out again. He might have scored again, and your KOs might have come back then.

Amazons are AV7, they do get hurt too. It's not like they are invincible. They are some tough team to beat, but if you get a foot in the door you can always find a way to handle them. Yes sorry, but your opponent wasn't top notch.

During the entire first half you made a total of 14 blocks compared to his 34. And yours weren't even all 2 dice blocks. That is what got you in trouble.

First turn, Skull RR Skull, your offensive frontline is torn apart. If you don't get the frontline stuff right, you will be on the defensive every time.

That is a terrible way to start a game but that doesn't mean it is over. You can come back from almost anything. That is one of the advantages of playing a game were luck is a factor.

In the course of a game of 16 turns both coaches will have bad luck a couple of times most of the time.
Having your team annihilated at half time is not an uncommon occurence. Using replacements helps a lot there too. I have seen enough games that have been completely turned around after the half time reset.

Not giving up, continueing to look for a way to win, to wait for the moment when the other coach has the bad luck in the game and having him lose his sanity, that is how you at least go over 50% mark of winning.

And I'm not just talking about conceeding but any moment where you panic. Stay calm, most of the time things will turn around as long as you continue to play a solid game and are not running out of time.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %21, %2014 - %00:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Watch some replays of experienced coaches using orcs.

Work on your positioning and know what time it is.
If you have to sprint for the line those MA4 BOs might not be able to keep up.

You don't need a full cage deep in you own half if the opponent will not be able to get behind you.
The further back the BOs go the longer it will take to get them forward. Don't let them get stranded too far from the action.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
You conceeded.

Do you know what the percentage is for games won after a concession?

I do!
Someone wins in a conceded game 100% of the time!
Unless you mean on average for the coaches involved in such games, in which case the rate is 50%

If he hadn't conceded, he might have tied.
Do you know what the percentage is of games won in the case of a tie? 0%!!
Bazakastine

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 01:13 Reply with quote Back to top

One more thing that can help is after you have mostly forgotten one of your own games go back and watch it pausing before your own turns. Try to plan out what you now thing would be the best way to play the turn before watching it. You may find that when not in the heat of a game you would do things much differently.

Wreckages point is not one to be ignored. My biggest problem as a coach on Cyanide was getting heated if things got bad earlier and either conceding or making rash decisions. Getting that under control was vital as even down 2-0 you can still practice positing. Also the funnest games are those were you thought you were toast but come back to just draw if not win. I certainly don't remember my blowout wins well but my funnest game recently was my Skaven miraculously coming back to draw Halflings of all teams or say my Dwarves being down 1-0 going into the second half and being a 3+ catch away from winning outright. (Not incredibly impressive but I still remember it better then 80% of their wins)

Finally sometimes dice just go against you. Sometimes Halflings pitchclear Dwarves. Sometimes Khemri manage to win 4-0 against Skaven. That's the beauty of the game is dice can always swing things all you can do is manage the best you can.
Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Bazakastine wrote:
Sometimes Khemri manage to win 4-0 against Skaven.

Ahhhh - the dream Smile

Jamerson

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 02:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Jamerson wrote:

The point I conceded I had 3 players left on the pitch - the rest were out (with 1 dead). My opponent had 10.

The point I was trying to make is this: A lot of games sway left and fourth and in competative play you will often find yourself in very difficult situations.

In this case you had a couple of KOs and 3 players in the injury box. Your opponent had 1 KO.

A lot could have happend over half time. Your KOs might have come back, his KOs might have been out again. He might have scored again, and your KOs might have come back then.

Amazons are AV7, they do get hurt too. It's not like they are invincible. They are some tough team to beat, but if you get a foot in the door you can always find a way to handle them. Yes sorry, but your opponent wasn't top notch.

During the entire first half you made a total of 14 blocks compared to his 34. And yours weren't even all 2 dice blocks. That is what got you in trouble.

First turn, Skull RR Skull, your offensive frontline is torn apart. If you don't get the frontline stuff right, you will be on the defensive every time.

That is a terrible way to start a game but that doesn't mean it is over. You can come back from almost anything. That is one of the advantages of playing a game were luck is a factor.

In the course of a game of 16 turns both coaches will have bad luck a couple of times most of the time.
Having your team annihilated at half time is not an uncommon occurence. Using replacements helps a lot there too. I have seen enough games that have been completely turned around after the half time reset.

Not giving up, continueing to look for a way to win, to wait for the moment when the other coach has the bad luck in the game and having him lose his sanity, that is how you at least go over 50% mark of winning.

And I'm not just talking about conceeding but any moment where you panic. Stay calm, most of the time things will turn around as long as you continue to play a solid game and are not running out of time.

Thanks for your comments. I get what your saying. I am not disputing the possibility that my luck may have changed for the better and my opponents for the worse. I know it does happen - it has happened to me before.

BUT, given my lack of experience and ability with ORCs, it would have taken a MAJOR turn of events for me to achieve anything further in this particular game. With so many players out, I not only would have found it hard to be even competitive but also simply not learnt anything constructive from the experience. Watching 2 or 3 players ganging up on each of my survivors and giving them a good kicking while a lone Zon runs off with the ball would have not have been a very useful learning experience for me, hence why I (graciously I might add) conceded.

As a player, I don't like to quit - If I think I have a chance of gaining something from the game I will stick with it. Even if I lose - which I usually do. But on occasion, I do believe there is nothing wrong in acknowledging that too much damage has been done and bowing out graciously. (Essentially like a boxer who has taken too many blows in a particular fight having the towel thrown in - and thus living to fight another day.)

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If you haven't already.

145 Club FTW!! I started 13/15/72 on FUMBBL and couldn't score either! Chin up mate. I found speccing games helped a ton. If there are great coaches watching or playing they will chat about the game and you pick things up. Ask a question or two while the game is going on.

Top blokes on here, they will tell you what's going on etc.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the advice folks - to summarise I will be:

Sacking trolls.
Discarding some re-rolls and assistant coaches to lower TV.
Watching games with more experienced players to see how they play.
Working on my positional play - particularly at the set up.
Making sure I always block in the right order.
Remaining patient during games and not trying to overcompensate if luck is going against me and ending up doing something rash.

I think that covered the main points Smile

Badoek

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

All valid points except maybe the Troll. There's some argument to be made to keep him around. If you do (he's a good road block, especially once he gets Guard and Stand Firm) you shouldn't really use him a lot (use: "activate") just let him hang around and keep some opposition occupied and/or lend assists.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree. Optimising TV is fairly advanced play I think.

Jump to: