9 coaches online • Server time: 05:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MonkeyMan576

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Like I said, I think it would be better to forbid communication between Coach and GM to avoid the temptation for a higher rated coach to try and make the decisions for a lower rated GM.
mike467

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds really interesting would defintely be interested. Just one question which teams race would you pick i presume the management one. So would you just pm the coach to say here's the team i want you set up?
Kalminael

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

mike467 wrote:
Sounds really interesting would defintely be interested. Just one question which teams race would you pick i presume the management one. So would you just pm the coach to say here's the team i want you set up?

Yep, it would be the idea Smile

Guys, in my mind, as glad as I am that many of you are interested, I think you consider all this in a way that sounds way to competitive.

The idea behind all this is just to have a fun and original league. Can't we just try the thing with 8 teams and see what will happen? In the worst case, you will have played 3 "useless" games.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I will play in this league.

This is a good idea.

I would like to Manage a chaos team, and coach a wood elf team.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry,

i can not play first season.
However, i am interested in this league and i would join in later seasons.
Could you keep me in the reserve list and keep me informed when recruitment starts for season 2?

thx mate.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2014 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Kalminael wrote:
...I think you consider all this in a way that sounds way to competitive...

<looks around>

You do know this is FUMBBL, right? Laughing

Many coaches find competition to be central to the "fun" - the smack talk, the race, the pivotal tooth-and-nail-and-boot games that decide post-season, etc. So a mix of both is to be pretty much expected at all times.

MonkeyMan576 wrote:
Like I said, I think it would be better to forbid communication between Coach and GM to avoid the temptation for a higher rated coach to try and make the decisions for a lower rated GM.

???

MM, while fine in theory, in practice this is effectively impossible to control.

Communication is pretty much central to the concept. Not sure how you'd stop a "better" Coach from making suggestions to a less experienced GM, except to have 2 diff Conferences, so it doesn't affect the better coach (as suggested above). And even then, anyone can ask for advice on the Forums or from anyone else - no way to stop that.

The fact that the Manager can also give their Coach general game-play advice is also unavoidable, and perhaps even desirable if it's a learning environment. The may be a LOT of new concepts introduced by a better Manager that a less-experienced Coach is unfamiliar with - that's potentially part of the process.

But for me, I'd ~hope~ that "better" coaches would look on this as a personal challenge, to take a team that is not developed to their personal tastes and do what they can with it.

mrt1212 wrote:
Is there the ability to create teams in League that already have skills, bankroll, dice, FF etc etc?

Technically yes, but it would require a friendly Admin who was willing to do a LOT of work - and short of a volunteer, we just cannot count on that.

Rabe wrote:
If you end up with a coach you don't get along with well, it can pretty much spoil your fun, I guess - even more so if you are obviously the better one and get dragged down by your "partner". Both can easily lead to dropouts, I'm afraid.

Edit:
On the other hand, if a pair of coaches works well, it would open up an opportunity for great teamwork, fun and learning. Especially if they can choose the races they play together.

<nods>

But anyone/everyone joining this League should understand that from the start, and be willing to accept it, even look forward to it.

If there are some true personality conflicts, well, tough - that happens IRL sports all the time, and a quick end-of-season fire/hire process is the common solution.

In fact, I would suggest that we don't keep the same pairs each season. We can start w/ CR (as fair as anything else), but a "re-seeding" based on the season results would shift things around nicely.

Or, maybe anyone at the top/bottom 25%* gets remixed, and anyone in the middle 50%* can either volunteer for the re-mix or choose to keep "as is" - that could work too.

(* Or 1/3's, or whatever.)

Kalminael wrote:
The idea behind all this is just to have a fun and original league. Can't we just try the thing with 8 teams and see what will happen? In the worst case, you will have played 3 "useless" games.

Good call - a lot of the "what if?" questions will become clear with a trial run.

Put a format together, make your best call on the various points, but all should understand that it all might change for Season 2 if/when we get that far.

Also, I'd strongly suggest a Swiss system - the good rise to play the best, the weaker sink to flail at each other. Fewer mismatches, fewer walk-overs, and the good still end up playing the good, and "the best" can be determined without much trouble (and without the need for "the less good" to be abused to no purpose).

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Kalminael

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, finally come up with some ideas you brought. Here's a ruleset, probably not perfect, but enough to launch a "test alpha season".

This first season will be launched as soon as 8 coaches will be in. For the moment, we're 2: Albemouff and me, so there're 6 spots left.

Just leave a message here for application. The commitment will be of a game/week+your duties as a manager Smile

Group's page is here

PS: I do really suck with BBcode, so this why the group's page is so ugly Razz
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Interested with some questions:
Wich time zone do you head for playing?
How is race distribution handled, wo selects, GM or coach?
How do the teams find together (GM & coach)? By lottery or is it by choice? Is it bilateral?
Will there be communucation between coach and GM or is that forbidden?

A damn, call me in. We will talk about those questions later Wink
Kalminael

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

FRSHMN wrote:
Interested with some questions:
Wich time zone do you head for playing?
How is race distribution handled, wo selects, GM or coach?
How do the teams find together (GM & coach)? By lottery or is it by choice? Is it bilateral?
Will there be communucation between coach and GM or is that forbidden?

A damn, call me in. We will talk about those questions later Wink

1) As a french coach I'd say european timezone.

2) I didn't plan to establish a policy for race distribution. Race selection is made by GM and yes, it can force some coaches to coach race they don't know/like.

3) By lottery. It'll indeed be bilateral.

4) I can hardly prevent communication between coach and GM. But a GM shouldn't be involved in coaching as the coach can't refuse GM's decisions about the team. If the players don't follow these simple rules, this league will loose every part of interest.

And most important: "Welcome aboard mate!" Very Happy
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

\o/
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

<Tosses his hat in the ring>

I still say pairing by CR (highest w/ lowest, etc.) would be a better place to start, and then re-seed based on how they do each season - but that's hardly a dealbreaker.

sonrises

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

What the hell!

I am in!

when do you expect to start?
Kalminael

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 21:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hurra Smile

sonrises wrote:
when do you expect to start?

As soon as we'll be 8. 3 more to go!
flashgordon1

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah it would be a team effort when managing. you want them to win, as its your only part in that division.

id be up for it
Smeat

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2014 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

K - we have enough to start with 8, but you should give everyone a few days to see if we can get more. More is better, and any "odd numbers" can easily be workable if we do a Round-Robin, or possibly a Swiss.

Jump to: