15 coaches online • Server time: 05:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Deadshane

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Now, I'm not a legendary coach or anything. (my CR is driven down by my Khemri that I play all the time) So it's not fear of my coaching that makes people avoid my current favorite team in ranked.

http://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=762698

Maybe I should have avoided having so many Mighty Blows, or too much Guard. However, I'm wanting to practice lots of games with this dwarf team as I'm planning on playing Dwarfs in a long term TT league here at home.

Pretty much all I get for the most part is accepted games from Chaos teams that are totally ClawPoMb'd out or Orks (which I don't mind).

...is that just something that I need to get used to or is it always hard to find games at Team Level 2000+.

Leave it for Tournaments?

Should I be ashamed of building a beatstick Dwarf Team? I'm sure phythrr thinks so.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

why would you be ashamed?

but you might have foreseen that the pickers of ranked would avoid you like an ebola cocktail.

so, tournaments and suchlike is your lot.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's always been the way with Dwarf teams in ranked. Certainly since I've been here anyway, and you've been here longer. E.g. You can't take as much MB as you'd like (if you want to find open games). This is how ranked maintains diversity. Balancing what you want to do vs What you need to do to get regular games.

Look at it like this. Your at a night club and it's an (opposite to a 'hen' fest). How are you going to stand out and get lucky? Taking Mighty Blow is the equivalent of turning up with a rucksack on your back and playing on your gameboy all night. You stand little chance compared to those pro elf boys who have been clothes shopping on the Kings Road all day and swirling around their Nissan GTR keys.
Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

nice team for a ranked major!

Oscar Wilde
fidius

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the only players who need be ashamed of playing Dwarfs are those who have already mastered the game. Because with proper positioning, their only weakness, mobility, is minimized, and they become overpowered imo.

There is little upside to choosing to play against them for fun -- you can't beat them with Block or Dodge, they will out-Guard you, out-bash you, and out-last you, you won't get CAS points due to AV9, and you'll be lucky to get a TD and maybe some cheesy backfield Comps to go with your MVP.

Am I over-stating it? Yeah, sure. But they're just so frustrating to play against. Although to be fair the mind-game is part of their advantage -- that double-layer AV9 Block Tackle Guard MB AV9 cage around the ballcarrier can seemingly only be stopped by daring to get into a contact war of attrition, so you start taking chances, and it spirals down from there.

There are 6 power skills in this game: Block, Dodge, Tackle, Guard, MB, PO. Dwarf LINOS *start* with 2 of them, have regular access to 5 of them (so are Guard/MB spam after 16 points, and can have 5/6 of the best skills in the game by 31), PLUS are practically immune to anything you hit them with short of Claw. C'mon now.

I'm not saying they're not a challenge to play. I'm not even saying people shouldn't play them. I would say, though, that Legend coaches who play them tend to do so because they don't lose very well. So not only are you going to get a boring and/or frustrating game with no SPPs and several injuries for your trouble, if you have any luck at all and manage a tie or a win your opponent will be sure to point out (verbally or non-verbally) how you only beat them because of dice. Which is probably true.

/dwarf rant over
Relezite

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not the bash, it's the bore. Go down to 5 men by turn 3 and wish you were doing something else.
Azure

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 06:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You have a deathroller...folks should be ashamed of avoiding you!
Malmir

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Doesn't look a particularly scary team to me - I'd play it with whatever I had up at that rating.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Deadshane wrote:
...I'm wanting to practice lots of games with this dwarf team as I'm planning on playing Dwarfs in a long term TT league here at home...

This team has 43 games. It will take you a while to get to 43 in your TT league. If what you want is practice you could start a new team in the Box.

Your opponents should still be fairly diverse until you get to around 30 games.

On the other hand, you could take this as a tip off that people don't really want to play vs your stinking dwarves. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 08:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well you have only played against dwarfs with your khemri 5 times in 64 matches. So ask yourself why that is and you may have your answer.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well that's always been the way with Dwarf teams in ranked. Certainly since I've been here anyway, and you've been here longer. E.g. You can't take as much MB as you'd like (if you want to find open games). This is how ranked maintains diversity. Balancing what you want to do vs What you need to do to get regular games.

Look at it like this. Your at a night club and it's an (opposite to a 'hen' fest). How are you going to stand out and get lucky? Taking Mighty Blow is the equivalent of turning up with a rucksack on your back and playing on your gameboy all night. You stand little chance compared to those pro elf boys who have been clothes shopping on the Kings Road all day and swirling around their Nissan GTR keys.

Lol, ill second that Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Just had a look and they actually seems relatively pascifist for dorfs at their TV level.

Nothing to be ashamed of and not something people should be avoiding because of skill choices. Perhaps it's all down to the "Dwarfs? Hell no" response that so many coaches have hardwired into their system.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably down to the race, not the skill selection.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Just had a look and they actually seems relatively pascifist for dorfs at their TV level.

Nothing to be ashamed of and not something people should be avoiding because of skill choices. Perhaps it's all down to the "Dwarfs? Hell no" response that so many coaches have hardwired into their system.

I admit I tend not to even bother looking at dwarf teams when I'm looking for games, specially now that I play really few games. They have a good chance of producing a boring game and it's something I'm not willing to get.

Yet I get the same kind of reaction when I put these chaos in the gamefinder and it's kind of frustrating.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2014 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't just have dwarves with a bunch of mb, guard and po. You also have an 8347 runner, leaving you without the one weakness that is the redeeming feature for playing against dwarves (the bad scoring ability, the chance of beating them 1-0).

The only other weakness is vs claw(pomb), which are not the matchups you want to play continuously.

Funny Zakatan, mine (which unfortunately do not roll stats) get offers all the time. Maybe the name is more obvious?
 Jump to: