44 coaches online • Server time: 17:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Unless you think you'll be down 830k regularly with a super-tight roster, I'd add in a little fat at the expense of some inducement value. Like 5 Skinks, 12 menz (13 with Slibli).

You want to get Slibli and a Wizard as often as possible, and then the difference in Babes and Dirty Tricks.

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Unless you think you'll be down 830k regularly with a super-tight roster, I'd add in a little fat at the expense of some inducement value. Like 5 Skinks, 12 menz (13 with Slibli).

You want to get Slibli and a Wizard as often as possible, and then the difference in Babes and Dirty Tricks.

I dunno....
I would trade a spare Skink for a Babe any day of the week, personally.

If the opposition is bashy and you're afraid of losing players, all the more reason to have a Babe. A lizard team simply cannot function if the saurus are in the KO box. It also greatly disincentivizes fouling, which is often a lizard team's nightmare.

I have played ~1500 games of lizards, and the number of times that I've lost due to being short on skinks I can count on 1 hand. No exaggeration. The number that I've lost because I was missing saurus–– that was most of the other losses.
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2014 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go further than that, actually. I would say that I do not believe that there is ever a time when a 5th skink would be preferable to having 60k extra to spend on Inducements.

Skinks are particularly poor value as a substitute player (that is–– mostly useless, but one of the most expensive) and Inducements are particularly useful for Lizards.
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool ! Thanks for all the constructive answers !! Here's something more to chew on !

Okay, this new lizardman team to create is joining a perpetual league and the new season is beginning next week. Here are the final updated parameters to create a new team.

Budget : $2.100 K, some money can be kept in treasury
Skills : up to 8 basic ($20K) skills, not more than 1 per player

Opponents are all around this TV range (1.750K to 2.000K (not counting treasury money)). 3 Chaos, 1 Amazon, 1 Pro Elf, 1 Human, 1 Undead, 1 Skaven. Killstacks usually aren't common (not a single one in the whole league) as coaches are responsible to look for and book their own games (no schedule). Lots of Mighty Blows, quite a few Claws and some rare Piling Ons... but never all three at the same time on a single player.

Lots of Dodges, obviously. Lots of Tacles too. Guards everywhere and at least a Sure Hands per team. Some Strip Ball. Everyone is well rounded to face any type of opponents.

What would be your roster ?
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

5 block 1 guard
Having to skill the skinks on normals; meh.
2x sidestep, I guess.

Last edited by the_Sage on %b %02, %2014 - %22:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

6x block saurii for me. The Krox gets Guard and you may as well put diving tackle on a Skink. If you have a bit extra cash over buy some FF. Getting +1 or +2 fame is actually worth the cost.

Oscar Wilde
Kahvie

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

6 saurus, 2 break taclke, 2 block, 1 frenzy, 1 MB
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's the first draft of a canvas to work on !

#1 Saurus (80K) + Block (20K) = 100K
#2 Saurus (80K) + Block (20K) = 100K
#3 Saurus (80K) + Block (20K) = 100K
#4 Saurus (80K) + Block (20K) = 100K
#5 Saurus (80K) + Block (20K) = 100K
#6 Saurus (80K) + Frenzy (20K) = 100K

#7 Skink (60K) + sidestep = 80K
#8 Skink (60K) = 60K
#9 Skink (60K) = 60K
#10 Skink (60K) = 60K

#11 Kroxigor (140K) = 140K

Apothicary = 50K

Rerolls 3 x (60K) = 180K

Fan Factor 0 x (10K) = 0K

Cheerleaders* 0 x (10K) = 0K

Assistant Coaches* 0 x (10K) = 0K

TOTAL = 1230K (870K left in treasury)

Last edited by mrbibitte3 on %b %06, %2014 - %20:%Sep; edited 3 times in total
Tarabaralla

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
6 normal skills is only 120k. What are you spending the other extra TV on?

I mean:
6 Saurus 480
Krox 140
5 Skinks 300
3 rr 180
Apo 50
Skills 120
Total 1270. 330 left.

Even if you max out on Skinks, you'll have 70k left over, and that would mean not having any space for star players.

I'd add 1 AC, 1 CL, maybe 10 ff to fight for fame.

If other teams are skilled you clearly have few chances, go for 6xBlock on sauri to build the team properly: if you'll face 1600+ agility teams you won't benefit from that single tackler, that's good at rookie level. Use your pressure and get a lot of Diving Tackle if there are a lot of elves. But hey, if you chose lizzies in a league full of elves it was your fault! Wink
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Apo for sure.

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
Apo for sure.

Yup ! Forgotten ! It's now added !
Azure

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2014 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sauras: Block x 4, Guard x 1, MB x 1
Kroxigor: Piling On x 1
Skink: Diving Tackle x 1

Three chaos teams - and while no kill stacks...if there is some claw+mb...you simply have to have a solid chance to remove those threats. While Krox is better with Guard in general...since you are limited to 1 skill per player - taking PO on the Krox gives you a way to fight back until you skill up some of your other players. Honestly this depends how the exact rosters and how your opponents are going to play.

Other note: go with 3 RRs - not 5. Five is way too many if you are playing a solid game. Take the extra 120k in inducements - much more valuable.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
Kroxigor: Piling On x 1

That's a really attractive suggestion.

I was going to advocate for Stand Firm - that's what a Krox does, is put his Prehensile Tail where it hurts. And SF is a pain any day, esp on a St 5 - no surfs, no chains, no -2d blocks to push him away, kk thx bb.

But PO is good in a different way. CRP favours the Bash, and a POMBer is a good thing. With MA 6, he's a good candidate for that.

Dealer's choice (but you'd be ignoring the advice of to a top coach to listen to me).

Azure wrote:
Sauras: Block x 4, Guard x 1, MB x 1

K - this is one of those "I'm sure it works for top coaches" suggestions. But I'm not sure it works for everyone, or anyone who is not a master of The Position game.

Frenzy would be better than MB imo, or as good in different ways.

And either way, whether MB or Frenzy or Guard speaks to you, taking only 4 Blocking Sauri is not enough for most coaches - they get knocked down, they don't do enough knocking down of others, they fail 4x as often (1/9 v. 1/36) - just not the conservative call.

5 Blocking Sauri, one w/ (MB/G/F), rejoice in their reliability and mutual support.

imo.

mrbibitte3 wrote:
Here's the first draft of a canvas to work on:

Rerolls 5 x (60K) = 300K

Fan Factor 10 x (10K) = 100K

Cheerleaders* 2 x (10K) = 20K

Assistant Coaches* 2 x (10K) = 20K

TOTAL = 1420K (680K left in treasury)

Urgh. Um... no.

TV should be in useful stuff, not fluff, and not just because you can afford it or b/c other teams have it. Because you can't afford to lose the Inducements!

Azure wrote:
Other note: go with 3 RRs - not 5. Five is way too many if you are playing a solid game. Take the extra 120k in inducements - much more valuable.

Exactly.

o 3 RR - If (at least 5 of) your Sauri have Block, and since all your Skinks have Dodge, the "only" thing you need RR for are balling and failed Blocks. 3 is ample if you save risky moves for last and stay disciplined, don't waste them unless it makes or stops a score.

o Cheerleaders & Assistant Coaches - Zero.

mrbibitte3 wrote:
Almost every league team has 2 cheerleaders and assistant coaches.

The math doesn't add up, TV lost in inducements vs. the % to make this pay off. (Trust me on this.) At RR = 140k, it's close(r), but not at 120k.

o Fan Factor - zero. The only real reason to have FF is to get cash rolling in, and you'll have plenty in the bank. Once you win, you'll generate FF for free.

So...

600 : 6x Saurus (80K) + Skill (20K)
    140 : Kroxigor (140K) = 140K
    240 : 4x Skink (60K) = 60K
    180 : 3x RR
    _50 : Apothecary

0 Fan Factor 0
    0 Cheerleaders
    0 Assistant Coaches

TOTAL = 1210K (790K left in treasury)

mrbibitte3 wrote:
Opponents are all around this TV range (1.750K to 2.000K

+150 - Wizard. Zap.
+250 - Slibli (Saurus w/ MA 7, Block, Guard, Grab, Stand Firm)
+100 - spare Apo (= +1 player that does not leave game)

Equiv TV = 1710, w/ 7 Sauri + Krox, plus 1st BH/KO is still in game. Take some 'Babes if you have some slop, and a Bribe and/or Helmut Wulf ('Saw) to pad it out.

(A final comment about a 12th player: Don't. Not yet. Lizard coaches need to learn to play down a skink or three. If you get a j-man skink for a game, just use him as fodder, np. Hire him if he gets spp.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2014 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, do you really think you will need guard on the Krox immeditately? With your six block (and one tackle) equipped Sauruses, your already going to be out muscling almost every other team in a direct fight (and you can out run the few teams that can directly stand against you).

Guard is always useful, but the krox still is the best nega-trait Big Guy in the game.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2014 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

But why would you not give the Krox Guard? Or another skill of your choice, anyway. With 8 skills available, all normal, that's one skill for every Saurus, and still two left over. Normal skills on Skinks aren't desirable enough that you want to have two of them rather than a skill on the Krox.