32 coaches online • Server time: 02:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2014 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Three things bother me about the design of the sideline staff (apart from the fact that they are not very useful):

- The first thing a new player does is creating a new team, and one of the decisions he must make is whether he wants to hire staff. BB has a steep learning curve, and this only makes it worse and may frustrate the new coach after a few games when he realizes how little they bring to the team.
- Diminishing returns.
- Because of their lack of usefulness many people don't bother to buy and paint miniatures for them (just like many people don't use referee miniatures anymore now that the eye is gone).

So here's a suggestion to make them more interesting. Sideline staff affects "Cheering Fans" and "Brilliant Coaching" as always, but also:

- 0-5 cheerleaders: Players will try to do anything to please the fans and impress the hot cheerleaders, looking forward to show their skill in spectacular plays and feats of strenght. If the team has 3 or 4 troupes of cheerleaders a player may reroll a Dauntless roll or a catch roll to catch a ball passed by a teammate once per game. If 5 troupes of cheerleaders are hired this can be done twice per game.
- 0-5 assistant coaches: While the head coach works on the great scheme of things, assistant coaches can focus on individual players so the team works as one. If the team has 3 or 4 assistant coaches, a player may reroll a Loner roll or a Pro roll in his turn once per game. If 5 assistant coaches are hired this can be done twice per game.

The choice of rerolls aims to make offensive passing plays a bit more reliable, to encourage using Big Guys more actively and to buff a bit Dauntless and Pro (not that they need it, but I think they go well with the theme).This is pretty subjective though, something along those lines could do, I guess. Also, this encourages the use of miniatures as reroll markers. Thoughts?

Last edited by Macabeo on %b %04, %2014 - %16:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Madmin

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2014 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

This reminds me of a system I once wrote up to add a little more use to the cheerleaders and assistant coaches at kick-off: firstly the result dice are rolled with 2 D8 instead of 2D6, giving 4 more possible results, 2 of which incorporated the sideline staff (bearing in mind our set-up did not incorporate cards):

1) CHARGE!: roll a d6 and add the number of assistant coaches. The side with the higher result may place one player on the opposing team on the LOS prone. If the winning result is twice the losing result or more, the winning coach may place 2 players on the LOS prone or one stunned. In case of a tie both coaches may place one player on the LOS prone each. (The players on the front lines dash forward as the drive begins into a scrum, with the most co-ordinated team managing to come out on top.)

2) Give 'Em a Show: roll a d6 and add the number of cheerleaders. The side with the higher result may place one player on the opposing team who is not on the LOS prone. If the winning result is twice the losing result or more, the winning coach may place 2 players not on the LOS prone or one stunned. In case of a tie both coaches may place one opposing player not on the LOS prone each. (The cheerleaders, and maybe a few die-hard female fans, begin the drive with a raunchy routine that distracts a player or two in the backfield)

Both provide a buff to how useful the staff can be in a kick-off, as it increases the chance of you getting a result affected by them (2/12 in old kick-off vs 4/16 in the new). It's not as sizeable a buff or much of a rework compared to your idea, but I just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The other two new results were fouling based, so i won't give them much detail: there was Iron Ref, which made bribes during/at the end of the drive a 3+ roll, and I Owe Ya One, which gave the team with the highest d6 + injured or KO'd players a free bribe.

I like the idea of giving a lower cap to the amount of staff you can have, and you've done a good job of making the effects make sense - cheerleader give rerolls to brave or impressive feats and assistant coaches to helping out hard to control players. I think running this alongside my new idea really gives it the finish i was looking for.
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2014 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Madmin wrote:
I like the idea of giving a lower cap to the amount of staff you can have, and you've done a good job of making the effects make sense - cheerleader give rerolls to brave or impressive feats and assistant coaches to helping out hard to control players. I think running this alongside my new idea really gives it the finish i was looking for.

I'm glad you like it, and I agree on the fact that fluff is also key for the whole experience. Paraphrasing what I wrote on TFF, I'd appreciate a cheerleader mini much more if she saved the day thanks to her reroll instead of just being an object of display.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2014 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I would quite like cheerleaders to effect how much damage crowd surfing did. Like they help organise the mob inflict as much damage as possible on the player in the crowd

Post   Posted: Sep 04, 2014 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I would quite like cheerleaders to effect how much damage crowd surfing did. Like they help organise the mob inflict as much damage as possible on the player in the crowd

That's what FAME should do in my opinion (apart from what it already does). It makes sense that, if your haters outnumber your fans, your chances of being lynched are probably quite high.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the 3 problem areas that you've identified:
*Useless coaching staff
*Weak big Guys
*Passing unpopular

Not bad Very Happy
Macabeo

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2014 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

plasmoid wrote:
I like the 3 problem areas that you've identified:
*Useless coaching staff
*Weak big Guys
*Passing unpopular

Not bad Very Happy

Yeah, less glaring problems than CPOMB and eyeless fouling, but still flaws of the ruleset nevertheless. What I like about this is that you can tailor your team to suit your style: if you want better passing or a more reliable Big Guy, pay TV for it; if not, more power to you.
 Jump to: