73 coaches online • Server time: 21:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GronxWild

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2014 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaw wrote:

Blackbox

I would just add some blood under the box Razz
GronxWild

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2014 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

or maybe someone piling on it XDD
RC

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2014 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Noice Smile Well done big C!

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2014 - 01:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
Chainsaw wrote:
A highly competitive division where opponents are automatically matched every 15 minutes. Whilst the scheduler will take into account the age of a team when assigning match ups, the nature of not knowing your opponent leads to a tough, challenging environment.

That's pretty good.

I agree, nicely worded.

And well done on the update Christer!
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 14:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What about something like this for the divisions -

I can change whats in the middle to something different if people would prefer.

Anyway, thoughts?

edit: if the picture isnt showing yet come back later, admin needs to authorise it Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

been accepted now, bump Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

That's awesome Garion!

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks Smile which one do you prefer, maybe for Box I could just stick the Chaos and Nurgle icons in the middle of the B again and again and again... Razz

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:40
FUMBBL Staff

I'd move the R lower down on the grass I think, and spread the spikes out more evenly as it looks top-heavy. Great work though. I prefer the bottom one as the top one looks quite busy. A black B and a small s for stunty! Dunno what colour League should be...

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Christer

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 15:57
FUMBBL Staff

I'm glad to see that people show interest in this relatively minor thing. A few quick thoughts on the notable suggestions in this thread so far:

1. Stock icons from iconarchive
While an interesting thought, I would much rather have original images and not use stock ones. I don't know if it's a coincidence that they're using a license that is actually compatible with my intended use, but well done on that part Smile

2. Descriptions of the divisions
These have been unchanged for a very long time. I am fully aware that the Blackbox description is rough and negative, but you have to realize that the current description is what has been showing on the previous layout for a very long time and people *still* complain that it's too bashy and hard to keep teams alive. It's inherently going to be bashy with the format it uses, and that will mean that teams will get smashed to pieces. In my opinion, the Blackbox division is *supposed* to more or less force-retire teams eventually. Anyway, making that rather harsh description more to the fore-front will hopefully work to reduce the complaints about how teams are ground to pieces eventually. From what I have gathered so far, the latest update to the scheduler made it better for new teams, and you only get to face min-maxed opponents later on. That sounds to me like the change did exactly what I wanted it to do.

3. Garion's logos
Nice work, and I vastly prefer the first one (obviously better with the Khemri logo front and center ;P). I would, however, do a couple of changes:

a) Use another font for the R. I'm not a huge fan of what you used there. With the "stone" effect of the border, it feels very top-heavy and the spikes add to that effect. The bottom half doesn't seem strong enough to support the structure. Try to find a sturdier looking font or draw the letter from scratch.

b) Spikes should be another material than stone. Metal? Bone? I don't know, but something else and have some sort of attachment sockets or braces where they're attached. Could probably work on the positioning of the spikes as well. They're currently a bit oddly placed in my opinion.

c) The Khemri logo seems to be floating on top of the others. Don't know if that's inteded, or just an artifact of the logo itself. I would either try to avoid that layering effect entirely, or apply it across the board on the other logos as well.

d) I would drop the grass field from the logo itself, and maybe have it as a background in certain situations.

e) Possibly explore having the perspective slightly shifted and allow some depth to the letter (other than the stone embossing effect).

f) Fix jaggies on the edges. I'm not sure if some of these are articafts of image compression (pro tip: use PNG for things like this) or what it is, but edges need work.

That's the stuff I can think of at the moment. And yes, I do realize how tough this stuff is. I spent 2-3 hours trying to draw that blackbox one that's there now.. Smile
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I like #2 personally.

For Blackbox, I would try something different. Perhaps a fist holding a knuckleduster shaped like a B? Or something with a question mark to imply the not-knowing your opponent.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Its okay, I have a plan for B already Wink

have to go out now but I was thinking something like this for stunty -

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
These have been unchanged for a very long time. I am fully aware that the Blackbox description is rough and negative, but you have to realize that the current description is what has been showing on the previous layout for a very long time and people *still* complain that it's too bashy and hard to keep teams alive. It's inherently going to be bashy with the format it uses, and that will mean that teams will get smashed to pieces. In my opinion, the Blackbox division is *supposed* to more or less force-retire teams eventually. Anyway, making that rather harsh description more to the fore-front will hopefully work to reduce the complaints about how teams are ground to pieces eventually. From what I have gathered so far, the latest update to the scheduler made it better for new teams, and you only get to face min-maxed opponents later on. That sounds to me like the change did exactly what I wanted it to do.

Still I think it would be interesting to capture those nuances in the description.

Right now it just says Ranked=good for noobs, Blackbox=bad for noobs. But Blackbox can be pretty good for noobs, the average skill of coaches at low TV isn't that high and they will have plenty of fair match ups as well as face the odd high level coach now and then. And there's no picking that can put a lot of new players at an disadvantage.

So the bad part is that if you really get to like a team and play it a lot then at some point you will enter the last stage of the box which can be heavy attrition almost every game and you might be forced to retire.

My guess is though that very few coaches build good first teams anyway and rarely keep them around so the long term problem is probably negligible.

Anyway I just find the descriptions lacking if not downright wrong at the moment, my opinion is that box is as good if not better for new players than ranked. The biggest advantage of ranked is long term health of your team and picking the kind of teams and coaches who you enjoy to play(again stuff that you find out with experience so not that relevant to new players.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So do you just want something more basic like this Christer -

I can add lighting effects etc , I just want to make sure I am on the right path?

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

Which IMO means that is is not as bad and hostile to newcomers as it used to be. Not bad at all compared to some of the merciless cherrypicking in ranked.

I think that the this is/is not for newcomers could go.

People (me Wink ) are still gonna complain as long as CPOMB remains unchanged.

Jump to: