69 coaches online • Server time: 22:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
T3mpano

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

I've got a couple choices about some players and I'd like to know what you guys think:

1.- lineman ( https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10199929]

First skill, double 5...

a- take +MA (my favourite choice)
b- take +AV (7 to 8...wow...(ironic)
c - other suggestion (MB?)

2.- catcher (https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10190559)

I've got 3 in the team and he's got 3 skills...one being +MA and now he got a -MA injury

a- sack him, catchers are easy to skill
b- keep him, you're tight on gold...but sack him ASAP!

Thanks for you (constructive?) input Razz
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Lineman - Guard

Catcher - retire straight away.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2014 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

1 (c): Guard

2 (a): You are tight on Gold

You might want to consider running with a couple Loners until you have at least 240K (Enough to replace both War Dancers if they die or get maimed.

Smeat

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

T3mpano wrote:
1.- lineman

First skill, double 5...

a- take +MA (my favourite choice)
c - other suggestion (MB?)

+MA - First, on any lino, first skill as +MA is not the best. Lino's job is not to move fast, it's to be on the line (hence the name "lino"). Moving fast is bloat without core Block/Dodge/etc. - he can now deliver his utter lack of skills even further, bonus. Wink

As a 2nd or certainly 3rd skill - maybe, sure. Altho' I'd think that Blodgestep would be the way to go.

And here, double 5's make it a terrible choice.

+AV - Almost(!) always a mistake. Exceptions are when there is nothing else better to take (Norse), OR if he's your favorite and already has LOTS of +stat and Doubles skills - and there's nothing else better to take. Or it's his job to be hit, a lot, like a DTss'er.

MB - not this guy. MB is for your heavy hitters, and he ain't that.

That leaves...

Guard - Linos love Guard, on both offense and defense, and elves are always short on Guard. It will help win and hold Position and keep all your other players alive. Dodge next to be reliably mobile, Blodge asap for survivability.

Quote:
2.- catcher (https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10190559)

I've got 3 in the team and he's got 3 skills...one being +MA and now he got a -MA injury

a- sack him, catchers are easy to skill
b- keep him, you're tight on gold...but sack him ASAP!

Well, at least you know to sack him.

(For those who don't understand, right now he's the same as any 2-skill Catcher with normal MA 8, but adds +30TV and who needs 51 spp for his "3rd" skill. Combined, that's a dealbreaker.)

So, you don't want to score with him - that's a waste of spp. 1/11 chance of getting MVP on him - that would suck too, but as you say you are short on cash.

So - use him as "bait", and as a screen for your other Catcher. You don't care if he dies - that's just Nuffle pressing the "Retire" button for you. If he can sacrifice himself to be a distraction to the defense while other players score, it's win/win.

If you can't do that, if you don't have the discipline or position skills, then sack now and save the TV, and face smaller teams while you save money to replace him.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

T3mpano wrote:

Actually, that's sarcastic.

Now if he had suffered -AV in your last game, and THEN rolled +AV, that would have been ironic.
Also, 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 are the two best increases in AV (depending on whether you face Mb and/or claw).

I like +MA on woodie linos (and they're the only linos I like it on). With 5+5, mighty blow and guard are valid options. Personally, I prefer giving guard to guys who already have dodge (or blodge). With first doubles, I like giving mb. The reason is that you still have 5 more chances to roll a second doubles for po. Also, guard is much better with blodge (the normal lineelf skills) than mb, which goes better with blockle. This guy won me a major because of that choice.

(also, it saves you from taking po on a dancer, who are too valuable foulbaits).
T3mpano

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for you input mates.

The catcher is a done deal: he's history as soon as I get enough money and he'll be in the front line until then.

As for the lineman..I already have 1 with guard. And I always cringe when having to place him in support (aka in conctact with an opponent) because I know retaliation is gonna hurt him.

That being said, 2 guards is probably a must..
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard =winwin
More guard the better, you don't want mb on a player without block anyway, too much risk blocking with him for me.

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2014 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

T3mpano wrote:
The catcher is a done deal: he's history as soon as I get enough money and he'll be in the front line until then.

Maybe not LoS (or maybe so!), but put him in harm's way, rather than anyone else.

Catchers are already targets w/ St 2, even more without Blodge, so just use him as the forward element of a screen, or the un-supported man downfield as one of 2 scoring threats. He doesn't have Sidestep - put him on the sideline at a crucial moment, and tempt your oppo to surf him rather than stop your score. All ~kinds~ of uses. Wink

Quote:
As for the lineman..I already have 1 with guard. And I always cringe when having to place him in support (aka in conctact with an opponent) because I know retaliation is gonna hurt him.

Some teams have a harder time scoring with/skilling chosen players - Ag 4 doesn't have that problem.

Prioritize your Guards to get 1 more skill each asap* - they won't be able to do it every score, but try to make it happen sooner than later.

(* When you push a cage forward, put them on a back-rear corner (but in scoring range!) on that last turn before the score, where they pro'ly won't be marked/blocked. If you need them, they're free to maneuver, and if you don't then hand-off backwards to them, and off they go. ~3 of those and you have your skill.)

Once they have Blodge, then you can relax. Unless you want the ~pair~ of blodgestepping Guards for maximum oppo headache.

Quote:
That being said, 2 guards is probably a must..

You won't regret it. Wink

MrNomad

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised dump off wasn't a choice. One of them skills that can really help with ball control.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2014 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL - yeah, that and Break Tackle. Rolling Eyes

(If you're going to post a joke, make sure it's obvious so the new coaches don't think you're serious.) Wink

T3mpano

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

So...you guys remember the situation from the first post?

It's happened with my OTHER MA9 player!! https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10196463

Fortunately this timeI've got some gold saved up! (200k)

The real bugger this time is a -ST ona ST4 WD! https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10176846

The team in question is https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=779013

So its a team management question:

Should I sack both players (which weigh something like 300k combined) and get a fresh start with the same positions?

Advice is much appreciated Smile
Smeat

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

+St -St?

With all other skills normal, fire immediately. (Possibly unless you're in some League post-season, which you're not).

It's +50k TV bloat, totally NOT worth it.

The +MA -MA is less bloat, but he'll need to be replaced too sooner than later. The only question with this one is whether his presence will help others skill up faster (maybe 6-16 points, enough so they can do their job and actually step into his shoes competently).

(And get that +Ag +Ag BLOCK ASAP, unless you want to lose him too. I woulda done so after the first +Ag. Once you have something special, "survivability" should be prioritized.)

T3mpano

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Wink

The AG6 catcher does need block, he only needs 25ishmore TD Razz
Smeat

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2014 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, which pro'ly means he won't live to see it. Which is why I always grab Blodge over SH or other "nice +Ag synergy" skills first. :/

Otoh, with that long until the next skill, maybe SH will pay off now and be worth it, even tho' he won't last as long.

(That really doesn't excuse ignoring Blodge for THREE skills.) Confused

T3mpano

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2014 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Sooooooo

Bought a new cather and his first skill was...block Razz

I also replaced the WD and now I rolled 6,4, which allows for:

+MA
+AV
regular skill

My gut goes for +MA (moah spid!) but maybe +AV would be more sensible...

Suggestions?

As for the S2 lineman, he's gonna get sacked!

Thanks for your ideas!
 Jump to: