36 coaches online • Server time: 09:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems you only play against elves when they are at realy low tr vanGorn. Elves rarely have tacklers LOL
Smess

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

And by the way the 2-1 win, by letting them score in 2 turns and then bash, cage and stall out both halves is the best way to beat em i think. Certainly with slow bashers anyway, with humans and skaven you can outscore em as well
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2005 - 19:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

There are similar problems in chess, where you may have an opponent who plays a particular opening and you can't figure out what the best strategy against it is. Advice and study is all well and good, but practical experience is one of the best teachers. Here's my suggestion:

1. Start an elf team. Pick the kind of elf you have the most trouble playing against, and make a team of them.

2. Start playing matches with those elves. Play against good opponents. Play against the races with which you've been having trouble winning.

3. Use the same strategies/tactics that your opponents used to beat the crap out of you.

4. You'll be surprised when you lose the match. Learn from the tactics and strategies your opponent used. Your opponent is more than happy to give you a free lesson on how to play Humans against Elves, for example. Try to remember the things that he did that really pissed you off - if he frustrated you, he's probably using good strategy Smile

5. Keep asking questions. Hell, some of your opponents won't mind answering questions during a match, or ask here about bad things that happenned to you.

In short, if you are having all kinds of problems playing against elves, then play with elves for a while and let your opponents point out their weaknesses.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

That's exactly the concept behind my chaos dwarf team. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to beat these guys consistently, so I created a team to observe the play of my opponent, looking for something to emulate. However, after the first three games I'm undefeated 3-0, and feel I have learned nothing other than be lucky on cas rolls, cause a full cd team is a monster to take on. Incredible.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing about elves is its almost impossible to pin the little buggers down since they have insane agility. Yes, you can make them have tons of dodges, but since their making all dodges on anything but a 1, don't expect them to burn that many turns/rerolls on them. The best way to stop them that I've found is simply caging/fouling. Yes, it is boring as heck to cage and sit in the middle of the field for about 5 turns, but if you do it right, there really isn't much that the elves can do back to you since they have very low armor usually.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I do not think AV8 is very low really. And the majority of elves I see have AV8...

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2005 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Warblade, the basic idea against elves is force em to make lots of rolls, defend deep, one's happen and Nuffle loves a good belly laugh, thats what you gotta remember.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2005 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with caging against any team is the slow draw-back defence. Imagine you have your standard cage in the middle of the park, ball carrier in the middle, strong front line, couple guys to the side etc. Pretty standard tactic here. Well, if all the elves ever did was to never make a block, but simply to dodge back one square each turn, and use the blitz for a hit and run attack, then all you could ever do was use your blitz in return. Reducing a bashy team to 8 blocks a half is not only a good way to preserve your team, but it is also a good way to force your opponent into doing something drastic and risky.

The way to beat elf teams is to draw them in, and bog them down. You can't pin them down, so you have to present then with a situation where they have to put themselves in a pinned position to prevent the score. You can't do that with a static or slow-rolling cage, you really have to push deep into their lines where you become a threat.

Thinking that elves can just be out-fought is a long running misconception. With high MV and Ag they can almost always get the vital assists in & make you pay for any mistake you make.
 Jump to: