44 coaches online • Server time: 23:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

It seems to me that with the latest spate of whining threads the number of games in the Black Box actually seems to be going up.

Dunno if more people are whining because more people are playing or if it is one of those "no publicity is bad publicity" kinda things. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pythrr wrote:
koadah wrote:
pythrr wrote:
the best way to improve FUMBBL is for everyone to play more League, and especially OBBA.

You know it makes sense.

But if you want house rules go O[L]C! Mr. Green

eh, we got house rules too!

and cookies. and apes.

We've got apes and beer!

You let the apes have beer? You maniacs! You brew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to see a Faction Division set up again.

Jeffro
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

woohooo someone mentioned it before me :p (+1 btw just in case it wasnt clear!)

Faction suffered only in the fact that it became too high in TV(TS) under lrb4 and new teams were (like in Box?) decimated by developed bash teams. With inducements I believe it could have been salvaged (of course if it starts again it could be re-set and avoid the problem...) regardless of these issues it was the scheduling aspect of Faction that was by far its best feature. 20 teams per division (3 divsions and an unlimited Qualifer division) with 10 scoring games randomly assigned (this allows 10 possible "friendly" games) and a minimum score required to remain in the division.

I repeat this for those that do not remember Faction, not in any way to persuade Christer how to run his site. If the way the set-up doesnt change then how you play should, if more people play more races then diversity will increase, as diversity increases then more will feel "safe" to follow suit and as a consequence more games get played... all been said by others before and in a better way.

Eat more PIE!!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Faction was crippled by people dodging.

If people really want Faction try creating it in [L]eague.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

you cannot replicate the scheduler in League, Faction was tried in League soon after. The dodging was to some extent removed by relegation to a lower division, if you want a mix of R and B then the scheduling of F provides it... I am not saying some dodging will still not take place but if dodgers are dodged they fail and are removed too... if coaches play all their games they will be known for that and more games will be completed...

But I am saying no more than this as it is not my argument to change anything that Christer doesnt do himself, and then that is his decision to make.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 02:19 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, play more things, like flings! the ultimate challenge. all those who are not activating a fling team in B are weak-minded cowards. there, I said it! it can't be unsaid! weeeeeeeee!!!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It seems to me that with the latest spate of whining threads the number of games in the Black Box actually seems to be going up.

Dunno if more people are whining because more people are playing or if it is one of those "no publicity is bad publicity" kinda things. Wink

Yeah, the Box is kinda going through a good patch right now. Getting games, playing a bit of variety.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 03:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I've made a scheduler for Ranked. I've play tested it and everything. You put some black tape over the half of the screen with the other teams on it then activate all your teams and greenlight everything without looking. Totally random. Don't tell Christer.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

People have been predicting doom since I joined the site. They have always moaned about rules, divisions, the state of this or that. It's human nature.

We're going through a particularly heavy few days forum wise, it'll pass, then it'll come back. Both of the original ideas are not new, neither are a good idea (regardless of what I think, both are against site policy).

Finding a game in R is far from impossible. Sounds to me like you've had a bit of bad luck. As others have mentioned, L is always there. You could always be the latest to try 'R as it should be' in L, you can have house rules and everything. But it's never gone well before. Forum noise doesn't equal site wide discontent, I don't think.
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

League is where its at. Long live League! My biggest issue is moving back to Australia from Europe. If i enter a ranked tournament i end up arranging games in the middle of the night Sad How about an official tournament where the qualifiers are timezone based? E.g. Euope, Asia and America?

Oscar Wilde
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My points:

* To a certain extent BloodBowl under CRP has died for me. I generally don't want anything to do with it. CPOMB is a pain but I'm not massively bothered by it, as it can be avoided. However for me and I think a lot of the guys who have disappeared, minmaxing is a huge issue. It massively slims down the game and I don't want any part of it.

*@MatDakka. For every picker there's a griefer. So for every finely tuned/picked Rank team, there's a Box team that makes combos that would not get games in Ranked. So it evens itself out. In fact, it might do both environments the world of good! However, I wouldn't expect many pickers to want to use a scheduler though! You are also bending the blackbox philosophy to suit your agenda. Remember it's play anyone and anything at anytime! This includes pickers. Actually I'd think a lot of Boxers would jump at the opportunity to help 'administrate' a pickers roster!

*Koadah runs a house ruled group, it's moderately successful, however it's in League. The problem with League is it's not automated and you have layers you need to delve under and work to do yourself. You have to do some of the ground work and find the games. On paper open schedule divisional competitions are fantastic. It's how I'd like to play my games here. You can play just like you would in Ranked, but with a division and something to aim for. The problem is you do have to arrange games, and a lot of coaches just can't be bothered with this. There are probably ranking issues with League too, however League requires a level of dedication beyond step 1 - casual gaming.

*This is where IRC doesn't work, and would work even worse now that a lot of coaches have moved away from it, or never used anyway.

* I had a look at the games played stats and I was pretty shocked. I hadn't had a good look at the games played/3 monthly graph in a while. Personally I think the drop of numbers is down to internet gaming, rather than anything FUMBBL is or isn't doing. Internet gaming wasn't very popular in 2003, however now there are so many avenues to game online. Of course the site has improved dramatically since those days, yet the numbers are lower. Popularity of the game, may also have something to do with numbers, more than rulesets.

* Personally I think the 2 major divisions should be joined together. However Christer has said no. If not that, then a leg up for League. Semi-official tournaments maybe, with badges and awards. This way we could use house rules, without affecting the main divisions. As it is, League is certainly the place that is the most interesting; it's just too much work for the casual gamer.
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
*Koadah runs a house ruled group, it's moderately successful, however it's in League.
Which one? He seems to have a few listed. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Nya-nya-nya-nya-nya!

Who wants to play BB against qualified opponents are in a good place. There are many options available:

* You can be patient and find a game which you think is fair (R). Legends should pick Legends or Super Stars. What the heck, are they want to play matches they surely win? Ridiculous! Still there are some R teams with above 70-80 W%. Do their coach expect to get a game for those unfair teams? If they do they pushing others away from the site.

* You can put some teams to the box and see if they are scheduled. If not, you can do something else with your day. Prepare to get slaughtered or you can develop a killer team and destroy others if you are that kind of man, and push others away from the site. Alternatively you can make a bunch of teams and put them all in so only some of them is going to have in a state of devastation. You can develop your skills by playing diverse races this way.

* You can join some good groups and but expect to have deal with matches in times when the last thing you want is scheduling/playing BB. This may also push some people away from the site. I see some coaches with many L obligations just disappear. You can play in house ruled environments there which fits better for your idea of perfect rules.

* You can play for fun and without any obligations in a well balanced division: S. I do that when I am drunk or stoned. It is perfect for that too. Smile

However, if you are a flexible guy and activate all your R and B and S teams, you have a damn good chance to get a match in 30. FUMBBL don't need masses. We need a core of patient people who respect the opponent and are casually looking for a fair brain game. Who know dices have many sides, and trying to make a much of them their friends but sill the minority could face up many times when Nuffle wants it that way. Good coaches can have 80 W% but good members want it around 50. I would be happy with 10 such guys in FUMBBL.

Too bad we all learned that winning is so good, like having sex or even better. We were learned winners are the good ones and losers are the bad ones. We watch the Olympic games where we cheer for the "heroes" who put their whole life to prove their superiority. And we too, seek so hard to win something, and win even more. Wake up! There is a looser on the other side. His enjoyment worth the same as yours, don't forget that!

Some feel killing something is a win too, even if that is no more than some pixels. They pile one many times and don't want a fair 50% Cas rate.

Not the rules, not the divisions, winaholism and bloodlust are the only problems here.

Last edited by SzieberthAdam on Oct 31, 2014 - 11:52; edited 1 time in total
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my name is Joemanji and I am a winaholic.