41 coaches online • Server time: 12:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johan

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir wrote:
My Runners:

Runner 1: Block, Strip Ball, Tackle, Pass Block
Runner 2: Block, Tackle, Kick, Strip Ball, Pass Block

I don't get it? Why do you want Kick on a Runner?

Kick is the perfect third skill for a Longbeard after Guard/MB.

In my experience, having a functional passing play can be exceptionally valuable, especially against teams that can put up a good fight around your cage. Sometimes the theory doesn't work out, and your cage is stalled, or you need to score in two turns. Passing is also great for when you stop the opponent's drive and get the ball deep in your own zone.

I go for two passers; I can see the point of restricting yourself to one, but I wouldn't want to do without passing completely.

/johan
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah and it took me over 20 matches to get the third skill on a longbeard. I'm not going to wait that long for Kick. Additionally, I have a standard defensive set-up that I find works extremely well. It has no room for a Kick Longbeard (i.e. I wouldn't be able to fit him in off the side-lines and off the LoS). My Runners do take up a spot there, so Kick is good on one of them.

My logic is that if I need to try a passing play, I have re-rolls for it. I'm guessing both play-styles work, but this is mine, and I like it, and I have never regretted not having a decent passer. Scoring in two turns with Dwarfs is incredibly easy to stop, anyway. Passer or not. Just bog them down.

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Mezir here, I never have a Longbeard free to be placed for kick on defence so it makes sense to give it to one of the runners.

I would tend to hold off on the throwing game with dwarves tbh, it is fun if you can do it but it doesn't play to their strengths. If something goes wrong a wood elvf could easily get the ball away before you even had a chance to get a blitz in.

I did manage to form a good passing game with a dwarf team once but I was blessed with an AG4 runner and two AG4 MA6 blitzers! Was nice to see peoples reactions when they got 2 turned by dwarves! Very Happy
Mezir

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I just checked and it took me 40 matches to get my first third regular skill on a Longbeard. Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

If something goes wrong a wood elvf could easily get the ball away before you even had a chance to get a blitz in.

Because dwarfs play (wood)elves all the time? Wink
I think passing play with dwarves makes them more versatile and unpredictable and more fun to play.
nickb2612

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Rusk wrote:

Because dwarfs play (wood)elves all the time? Wink

Lol, true I was more talking in league/tourney situation as opposed to the open format. Was only using it as an example tbh the same could be said with skaven or humans.

Personnally I admire anyone who plays a passing game with dwarves but a decent coach should be able to exploit it as it's not a tactic that plays to their strength.

Post   Posted: Feb 10, 2005 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with Mezir, Kick is a good skill for a Runner. There aren't many good skills after Block, Strip Ball and Tackle (and Runners get skills very fast in a Dwarf team).

Longbeards don't get the skills fast and can even take Pro again after Guard and Mighty Blow since the Rules Review.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 03:19 Reply with quote Back to top

nah..guard, mighty blow, pass block..give those slow Longbeards a bit of a speed boost...

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What GorTeX said. Very Happy