38 coaches online • Server time: 00:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want to have the choice to always pick one of the Hive Mind's two most commen skills?
Yes, it makes team building way more interesting.
16%
 16%  [ 37 ]
No, let's keep it straight and always take the most common skill.
9%
 9%  [ 20 ]
I'm totally fine with either.
5%
 5%  [ 12 ]
I don't like either option.
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Resistance is futile.
34%
 34%  [ 76 ]
Can we assimilate pie? It would make being a drone so much more comfortable...
31%
 31%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 220

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, time to assimilate players then...
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The naming thing isn't decided yet! So you better should wait for our Queen Rabe to decide it Wink
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 02:08
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Meh, admins can change team names if that's the only thing holding him back. Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 03:41
FUMBBL Staff

sadly, if i change team names and player names it will be.... a bit humiliating! \o/

Otherwise I'm on board for this and wouldn't have a problem sponsoring the group(to make the team players/names safe) so long as I can jimmy team/player names that are far too close to the "bad" list.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 05:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, I kind of had the same thought and built an undead team. Players I kill are the one assimilated by the unimatrix. https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=753450

As for team names, as you can see I went to classify the team as a Unimatrix, which are the Borg "units" or "packs", and can have variable numbers.

So, fluff wise, they just go around to show the supremacy of Borg over other races, assimilating anything they can in the process.

Smile
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I call Gamma Unimatrix Sphere!

Incedently, 12 mauraders, 5 RR and an apo is exactly 1 million.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, the real issue for now are the names.

Player names:
Easy now - thanks to the admins' feedback! We just go with "Seven of Sixteen" etc. (or like Wreckage "Seven of Thirteen" if you are absolutely sure you'll never use more players than that).

Team names:
I really like Wreckage's idea best. He named his team "Box Invasion Cube 001". For the first Ranked team it would be "Ranked Invasion Cube 001", if someone was to use it in a league, it would either be "League Invasion Cube" or even more specific "Gentlenmen Club Invasion Cube" (for example). Very Happy
Any objections?

If everyone understands this, you won't even have to check back with me, as names already taken will simply be blocked and you just have to find out (by trial and error) which number is the next one available.
Note that I'll only allow teams into the group that exactly follow the specific naming scheme!

I'll get back to other stuff later.

If you - like Wreckage - already start, please state any interesting developments (kills, skills, purchases of renegades/big guys etc.) here. While we don't have actual badges, we should definitely keep track of who killed what first etc. Smile

Edit:

Question

How do you feel about being able to chose from the top two skills of the Hive Mind? Is it necessary to make team building at least somewhat interesting? Or would you prefer having the process completely automated by making the top skill mandatory pick?

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 09:17 Reply with quote Back to top

All automated. The Hive knows best what is best for the Hive.

Ranked Invasion Cube 001 has lift of, searching new worlds for assimilation.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I added a poll on my last question. Smile

Also I'd want Box teams to actually be named "Blackbox Invasion Cube" rather than "Box Invasion Cube" - it sounds so much better to me... Maybe something can be done about Wreckage's team there...?

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 09:22
FUMBBL Staff

Answer
With the theme you're going with I'd say no choice. Players always take the most assimilated skill or Disturbing Presence (which I don't think will affect many people).

I think with Doubles it'd be interesting to allow a choice of any skill previously assimilated, and with Stats they can choose any skill or the stat. This would provide the interest and the options while keeping the general build rigid. I also think it'd be fun to only allow the selections of Stats if a player faster/stronger etc than a Marauder has been killed.

Edit: Sorry, I typed that before the poll existed Smile
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

What do I need to kill to assimilate (for example) a Dark Elf? Exactly a DE lineman? Or will any player on a DE team do? What about just any elf (the hive wouldn't differentiate between HE and DE once assimilated?).

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 09:52
FUMBBL Staff

Good quesion. I'd vote for any elf. Any Goblin. Any not Rat Ogre Skaven.

I also think there could be some flexibility in the big guys as they won't die often. Like every big guy becomes a type. Rat Ogre > Ogre, Snot Troll > Troll etc. Or even just a general Any Big Guy body can be used as a Troll, as they seem to be the most 'constructed' player in a Borgish way.

...but what sort of Borg would run a democracy? Wink
gjopie

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't matter what their job was before they were killed - it is their body we are after, and they get reassigned to a new role.

How are we going to report and track kills? In this thread? My concern is that longer-term, once the initial enthusiasm has died down, that might prove too manual.

Looking forward to getting this started.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, let's try to reply and decide...

mister__joshua wrote:
For selecting skills I liked your original 'most popular skill' idea coupled with perhaps a double allowing for any banked skill. If there are no skills banked then Disturbing Presence and Thick Skull are the first 2.

If we run it with no choice at all, I'll run it like that with doubles and "substitute skill" (for when there's nothing in the Hive Mind left to pick) as well. I don't see the (fluff) reason for suddenly allowing choice at all. Plus, it cannot be proved someone rolled a double (unless he picks a double skill). Not that I have an issue with trust, but I'd like to keep it simple.

mister__joshua wrote:
For the stat upgrades I know you've been torn between must take and can't take without assimilation. What about if it first requires a player be killed with the appropriate stat difference. For example, a Marauder is 6338 so to take a +Ma a Ma7 or above player must have been killed.

Again, I'd like to keep it simpler. Either the Hive Mind has to learn that stat upgrades are good and taken by others, or we can simply imply that it's in general an improvement towards the wanted perfection. Since the first option is killing off the fun of rolling awesome stat-ups, I think it's best to stick with "all stats have to be taken" (with some exceptions, as it is stated in the rules right now).

mister__joshua wrote:
I like the idea of the body bank, but aren't sure of it's use for regular marauders beyond fluff (which may be it's only purpose).

Simple: No, it isn't. Wink

Wreckage wrote:
Well, my team is done... https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=787903... I kinda just wanna get going.. do I really have to wait for you guys to figure stuff out first?

Would have been nice if you have waited for my word, but you've been lucky enough to come up with the almost perfect team name, so it's all good. Razz
I want it to be "Blackbox" instead of "Box" though - let's see if an admin is willing to humiliate himself for this. Otherwise you'd have to create a new team - it's not like that would take long. If that's a major problem for you for some reason, let me know.

Bullroarer4 wrote:
Incedently, 12 mauraders, 5 RR and an apo is exactly 1 million.

Yeah, pure incident... Or Queen Rabe can actually do some math. Wink

mister__joshua wrote:
I think with Doubles it'd be interesting to allow a choice of any skill previously assimilated, and with Stats they can choose any skill or the stat. This would provide the interest and the options while keeping the general build rigid.

Totally see your point, but the more I think about (hence a second reply on the same matter), the more I like the "let's have it all determined and no choice" approach. Smile

Joemanji wrote:
What do I need to kill to assimilate (for example) a Dark Elf? Exactly a DE lineman? Or will any player on a DE team do? What about just any elf (the hive wouldn't differentiate between HE and DE once assimilated?).

Any elf will do, any goblin, any skaven and any big guy of the same type.

mister__joshua wrote:
I also think there could be some flexibility in the big guys as they won't die often. Like every big guy becomes a type. Rat Ogre > Ogre, Snot Troll > Troll etc. Or even just a general Any Big Guy body can be used as a Troll, as they seem to be the most 'constructed' player in a Borgish way.

What's a Snot Troll? ST 3 Snotling? ;-D

I think we could allow Snow Trolls and Rat Ogres to become Minotaurs (because they look much more alike stat- and skill-wise). Can't see the same happening for Beasts of Nurgle and Treemen though.

gjopie wrote:
How are we going to report and track kills? In this thread? My concern is that longer-term, once the initial enthusiasm has died down, that might prove too manual.

That's how it should be done, yes. Since it's the very core of this whole project and reporting a player death really isn't a big deal (just copy and paste the match report if you're lazy), I don't think it'll be an issue.
One can even check match reports retrospectively, but then you won't see if a player was really caught by us or only fell over his own feet... I considered allowing every "dead" player to be assimilated, but then again I wouldn't like that if I was the opponent: I care about fluff and it makes a big difference to me whether a player (especially if an important/old one) dies or possibly lives on as Borg drone. Just a tad bit too invasive for me.

Edit:
The assimilated skills will be tracked on the group page though.

We can of course make much more out of it if some coaches (or even just one) steps forward and "fluffs" things up for the rest of the group. I won't do that due to time issues. I basically just wanted to run two teams like that myself and then had the idea to just invite others, too.
Even updating the Hive Mind frequently means a little more work for me (and I wouldn't mind someone reliable assisting me with it).

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
That's how it should be done, yes. Since it's the very core of this whole project and reporting a player death really isn't a big deal (just copy and paste the match report if you're lazy), I don't think it'll be an issue.
One can even check match reports retrospectively, but then you won't see if a player was really caught by us or only fell over his own feet... I considered allowing every "dead" player to be assimilated, but then again I wouldn't like that if I was the opponent: I care about fluff and it makes a big difference to me whether a player (especially if an important/old one) dies or possibly lives on as Borg drone. Just a tad bit too invasive for me.

Edit:
The assimilated skills will be tracked on the group page though.

We can of course make much more out of it if some coaches (or even just one) steps forward and "fluffs" things up for the rest of the group. I won't do that due to time issues. I basically just wanted to run two teams like that myself and then had the idea to just invite others, too.
Even updating the Hive Mind frequently means a little more work for me (and I wouldn't mind someone reliable assisting me with it).

Great, thank you. I think you have hit on a great group idea here (as I'm sure you can tell from the response). I love fluffy ideas like this, and it is one that actively benefits from (and makes sense with) group participation (unlike things like Evolution, which are great fun, but essentially a lonely pursuit).

I'm sure most of the coaches involved would be willing to help you out with the group page if required. I certainly would be.