30 coaches online • Server time: 10:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which is the best Christmas film ever?
Jingle all the way
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Its a wonderful life
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Elf
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Santa Clause the movie
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Nightmare Before Christmas
11%
 11%  [ 11 ]
Scrouged
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Muppets Christmas Carol
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Die Hard
50%
 50%  [ 46 ]
Leathal Weapon
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 92

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 11:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Stand Firm does stand up to Side Step, but not to MB, or Guard or Piling on... and Jugs and Grab both have a similar appeal. Hence, one of the reasons why this ruleset has actually a really good balance if it wasn't distorted by piling on...
deyempe

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

@the_sage: Rush and Pass sounds preety kewl - not sure how long I could handle not beating down on players tho so prolly not for mee!
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 11:42 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a great skill for low TV games or one-off games you have to win. In the long term it suffers in comparison to killstack as the Stand Firm player will suffer more blocks and so be first to bite it. Overall he'll die sooner and skill up slower than a player with MB.

Would be amazing on Elves (combined with Blodge + Diving Tackle) but Guard is a better double all round for the team, and Side Step is 50% cheaper but not 50% less effective.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 11:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Stand Firm does stand up to Side Step, but not to MB, or Guard or Piling on... and Jugs and Grab both have a similar appeal. Hence, one of the reasons why this ruleset has actually a really good balance if it wasn't distorted by piling on...

I agree. Setting prerequisites on some of the more common skills has shown the skills just below to have great utility and be quite competitive with each other. Stand Firm, Fend, Grab and Shadowing are all seeing good use and proving to be a lot better than people would naturally think.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I cant agree on Fend really, and Grab is so so. But I would put Stand Firm head and shoulders above the others.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 13:19
FUMBBL Staff

Yeah, some skills shine cos of the league's other rules. I think Fend sees good use as there's little dodge and few re-rolls, so coupled with the reduced player number Fend is a great skill for mobility (and shadowing good for denying that mobility).

Stand Firm is a great skill in a rolling cage as you never go back the other way Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Grab can deal with SS on a block or blitz, but Juggernaut only works vs SF on a blitz, right?
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 13:57
FUMBBL Staff

Does grab negate SS on a blitz, even though Grab itself only works on a block?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

yup it cancels SS on a block or blitz, but you can only use grab itself on a block and yes Paddy, Jugs only does anything on a blitz.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:02
FUMBBL Staff

It's 'cool' to like Die Hard. Real men love the Muppets
Roland

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Does grab negate SS on a blitz, even though Grab itself only works on a block?

I learned this the hard way, works perfectly in the client.
(I thought it was a bug at first)
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

In that case, that's another advantage SF has over SS. Especially if you are playing against apes!

The annoyance factor is big too. I have a Blodge Guard Flesh Golem and often see him take 4 or even 6 dice without budging, which can be demoralising for the opposition.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Stand firm is a skill you take on ST 5 players just because they can't get G skills or Longbeards after Guard, Fend, Mighty Blow if you play vs clawpombers.
Useful but not so great skill.
Btw a Stand Firm Human Blitzer is not protected as a Piling On Human Blitzer, not to mention the huge difference in efficiency/TV.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you overstate things a bit Matt. Sure Stand Firm is an obvious pick on big guys, but I was referring to standard players.

While you are probably correct, a Pile On human Blitzer will likely live longer than a Stand Firm one because he spends half his life or more on his back. I do not believe there is a HUGE difference in TV efficiency. Stand Firm will help you win games through positional play while PO is more suited to trying to win through pure attrition (yawn). The Human Blitzer will more than likely have Guard and Mb as well so they can still hit, and Stand Firm helps keep opponents next to you so you can hit back the following turn, though not as well has an MB PO player, but in a one off game I would say there is an argument to be made for Stand Firm being more effective for getting the win. While PO is better for team building reasons, getting spp quickly keeping your players on the floor and alive and so on...

Since I refuse to use Pile On because its so dumb I will stick with my Stand Firm humans and see how they go. They are a 2nd rate race anyway but its certainly a fun skill and has already contributed heavily to a few wins for me.

Post   Posted: Dec 18, 2014 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

It might be a smart pick just because coaches are not used to play against it Very Happy
 Jump to: