49 coaches online • Server time: 12:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2014 - 23:41 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
On offence yes, on defence no. An ST 3 MA 8 ag access player on defence has a lot of potential. The ST 2 player has practically zip.

Dauntless!

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
On offence yes, on defence no. An ST 3 MA 8 ag access player on defence has a lot of potential. The ST 2 player has practically zip.

Dauntless!

The eternal optimist! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Roland wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
...Spring...

Laughing

I have fat fingers, it's a disability. Thanks for making fun of the handicapped Sad

I've always told them, they did not want to believe it. It is sad that it had to come that far.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Dauntless!

It's not them making blocks you have to worry about Wink

Also, you're 16 spp deep into this catcher, and 130k in TV. I have a dream of playing with 4 WE catchers but stats are the only way ill be able to make that work i think.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 00:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Dauntless!

Problem with thats is thats its 20K TV and a whole skill that you have to use. even then it can fail and you can be blitzed by nearly any player in the game for 2d+.

also i imagine you want to blodge first normally. So then thats 31 spp to be able to occasionally get a 1d that may not fail. Now after that its another 25 spp of av 7 with low strength games. chances are fend or sidestep will keep him useful and alive a lot longer.

3str ma8 with elfgility is best!
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 09:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:
He still isn't right, is he? I'd have thought humans are 2nd rate DE. They play nothing like HE (unless we hark back to the 'purple' comments about nuance) and a more finesse bash DE style, but without the dodging.

I still don't think it's time to make the headline 'PS finally right after all these years'.

Aye, Dark Elves and Humans have a more similar play style than High Elves and Humans.

4 Blitzers for a start.

At rookie level, yes.
But the witches define darkies play for me, so you build more around sidestep both on offense and defense.
While with high elves, like humans, the key is more your speed and mobility.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 19:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Lorebass wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
harvestmouse wrote:

Dauntless!

Problem with thats is thats its 20K TV and a whole skill that you have to use. even then it can fail and you can be blitzed by nearly any player in the game for 2d+.

also i imagine you want to blodge first normally. So then thats 31 spp to be able to occasionally get a 1d that may not fail. Now after that its another 25 spp of av 7 with low strength games. chances are fend or sidestep will keep him useful and alive a lot longer.

3str ma8 with elfgility is best!

Dauntless is awesome! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2014 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elves are the only ones without a Major since CRP began.

This... Must... Change!

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2014 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Any ideas on where I go in the short term here?

I lost an MA9 catcher in our last game on a dub skull and yet, my niggled catcher still lives. Only 30k in the treasury so things will take time.

When I get enough, I want to get another catcher but a lineelf is probably the way to go. Should I sack the niggle or let nature take its course? And skills. Any ideas where to go next?

Avelorn Air Raid

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had quite a bit of success with high elves, but I suspect that it has less to do with the strength of the roster, and more to do with the fact that they tend to fit how I like to play the game. There's a few things that my teams all tend to have, and High Elves provide them all.

1) An attrition blitzer

The high elf blitzer isn't as good as a wardancer or PE Blitzer, but they do as good a job as any elf with one double for mighty blow. PE blitzers tend to get built as guard players, as they come with sidestep. Since HE linemen are AV8 and tend to live longer, you also usually have a few guard kicking around. You are also more likely to take strip ball and wrestle on a catcher. This makes your blitzers natural mighty blow players.

2) A sacker

Sackers are important on elf teams, and like pro elves, you want one ASAP on high elves. Wrestle, Strip Ball, Dodge, Tackle, and Leap are all singles on HE Catchers, and guys like Lorenzo are easy to build and come in at a very reasonable 190tv fully developed. Lorenzo is a better sacker than a strip ball/tackle wardancer. Think about that.

3) Dominant agility players

Take a look at Frankie. Like a lot of star elves, he's dead. But when he wasn't dead, he was an absolutely dominant player. This is a player who rolled one stat increase. I would argue that the other five skills Frankie took are actually better than having another stat. Dodge, Block, Sidestep, Leap, and Sure Hands are all singles. Frankie is dead, but I will see him again. Since the catchers come out of the box looking like stat freaks, it's not hard to rebuild dominant pieces again and again. Compare him to Cyclone, my all-time rat. First of all, Frankie lived a lot longer. Secondly, I've been looking for another +AG, +MA, Big Hand, Leap gutter runner for almost two years since Cyclone died. I may never see one again. I'll get another Frankie, and Frankie was probably a better player.

I like to play a fast-break offense and high-pressure defense. Wood Elves are the best at it, but High Elves can do a decent job too.

- TV management is absolutely critical. Doubles that aren't guard or mighty blow, stats on linemen, AG6, or five-skill throwers are going to get you in trouble.
- High elves are a wrecking ball at 1500TV. Not a big fan of lurking in sweet spots, but it's something to keep in mind when you make decisions on how many rerolls to carry, your bench, or if that niggled catcher is worth keeping around
- High elves have a reputation as a nice soft match in ranked.
- Your mighty blow hurts the same as their mighty blow, and they only get one blitz per turn. High/Dark elves are amazing against Orcs and their like, so don't be scared of the mighty blow.

They are the worst elf roster, and I'd love to see them get some love, but even as they are they can win games. You cannot afford bloat, so if you are the type of player who refuses to TV optimize, this probably isn't the elf roster for you. For guys like me who can happily turn down 6,6 on a lineman for guard, High Elves have a nice chassis on which to build a roster of simple core skill players, supported by a couple of legends. CRaP in a nutshell.

1 Sure Hands Thrower
2 Dodge, Tackle, Mighty Blow Blitzers
1 Wrestle, Strip Ball, Dodge catcher
1 Block, Dodge, +AG catcher
3 skilled linemen, hopefully with guard
4 unskilled linemen, dying on the LOS

Every once in a while someone breaks the mold. You have your 5AG throwers, your Piling On Guy, The Fast Guy, and they can all be fun. But the closer you stick to the script, the leaner and meaner the team will be.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

DrPoods wrote:
Any ideas on where I go in the short term here?Avelorn Air Raid

You've got some nice players on that team, but you're almost to the 1500 range where you should be at your best. Unfortunately the team looks a little unfinished, and you're probably going to struggle against more developed 1500tv teams.

1) The thrower is fine, but he'll be 150tv when you get block. That's enough investment in a thrower.
2) I like two catchers, not three. Fire the niggled one, because you don't need him anyway.
3) One of your two developed catchers should have taken wrestle first, and then strip ball. You have no sacking threat, which all elf teams need.
4) Not having a mighty blow is going to hurt you. Hopefully the new blitzer gets a double. Dodge/Tackle is correct for singles. Diminishing returns after that.
5) +AG Lineman is not necessary. You have three catchers and a thrower on that team to do ball stuff.
6) Wayne Chrebet is your everything. Don't let anything hit him. Leap next and he's unstoppable on offense barring snakes.
7) Mark Duper doesn't bring anything special to the table. You'd be better off with a 6spp catcher with wrestle.
Cool Take block over dodge on linemen. High elves are AV8 and should be competing in the blocking war. Dodge is less useful on MA6 players than on MA7 wood elf linemen.
9) Your +1 Cas differential with a 5-2-5 record is concerning. Since you've never had mighty blow, I suspect you're getting quite lucky in some games, but not really converting that in to wins. Generally, even AV8 elves have to play or pick extremely well to maintain a positive casualty number. The fact that you're a .500 team while maintaining positive cas suggests there are some issues with your play.
delusional

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The Dark Elves and Wood elves really show their team personalities.

High elves don't seem high enough. There is no Elf Lord that starts with Block, guard and sure hands.
Pro elves have the cool players with the skills and the dirt cheap linemen. Wood elves have their Wardancer with 3 starting skills.

High elves needed a player with 2x starting skills. They got a thrower with pass and Safe throw.... This isn't sexy enough. Perhaps blitzers starting with Block and stand firm? (Can't push around noble elves?) Or maybe Juggernaught in the mix somewhere? The skill needs to be high and upperty.

Anyone else miss the days when Dark elves could control the weather? I do miss the madness of the old games.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Great posts Rat_Salat. This thread inspired me to start playing this team again (my first HE team):

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=764076

I will be taking some of your advice on board, but as you can see, I like playing with all positionals and I won't mind being bloated when it comes to it. Natural selection may take of that problem for me, however, and i'll consider dropping the extra thrower and maybe a catcher when they die or get injured (and not re-hiring).

In the meantime, I think starting with all positionals gives me a better shot at stats on one or two of them Smile

Out of interest, would you agree with me having taken the +ma on the two catchers?
You forgot to mention it's nice to build a One Turner.
Garion

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

delusional wrote:
The Dark Elves and Wood elves really show their team personalities.

High elves don't seem high enough. There is no Elf Lord that starts with Block, guard and sure hands.
Pro elves have the cool players with the skills and the dirt cheap linemen. Wood elves have their Wardancer with 3 starting skills.

High elves needed a player with 2x starting skills. They got a thrower with pass and Safe throw.... This isn't sexy enough. Perhaps blitzers starting with Block and stand firm? (Can't push around noble elves?) Or maybe Juggernaught in the mix somewhere? The skill needs to be high and upperty.

Anyone else miss the days when Dark elves could control the weather? I do miss the madness of the old games.
If I were to buff high elves (and I don't think they need it really) I would just give catchers av8 as well.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

"I would just give catchers av8 as well."

I think that with the Woodies and Darkies, they can buy a killer elf with 3 skills. However the high elfs don't have that option. So if you are looking long term, you can either ad a witch elf mv7+jump up + frenzy + dodge or a mv8 with catch.

av8 catchers though make the high elves a little too strong. We don't need more incentive to bash through. Sidestep, dodge or even sure feet would be better IMHO.
 Jump to: