43 coaches online • Server time: 16:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2015 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

One of the ties of the round Flix vs Stonetroll is happening NOW!

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2015 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Good luck everybody!

I need a ****ton of luck to come out of this with more than a 0/0/X record Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2015 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

It will look at +/- (Combined TD + Cas), then whoever has the most TD for, then whoever has then most Cas for..

..if still tied after that, random pairings.

Things shouldn't really *unfold until round 4.

sann0638

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2015 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 2 with races, coaches and team names: http://www.thenaf.net/2015/01/rttnafc-round-2/

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Was going to add capes etc (leaders in TDs, Cas, Stunty) but then people started playing round 2 games! Might do some number-crunching later...

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Got sent a question about the capes that people are on about - at NAFC last year (and ongoing, I think) there were various capes that people wore during the tournament - if I recall, purple for most TDs, black for stunty leader, red for most cas and ... blue? for tournament leader? Someone (Joemanji?) could correct the colours, but that's the idea.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol love it. Yellow jersey for geeks!
In future I think KO NAF tourneys might be a good idea. Obvs can't be done on TT but 6 round Swiss doesn't lend itself well to online imo.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 15:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking forward to the 9-week Road to Lucca Smile
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Lol love it. Yellow jersey for geeks!
In future I think KO NAF tourneys might be a good idea. Obvs can't be done on TT but 6 round Swiss doesn't lend itself well to online imo.

I would prefer a combined format when playing online.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

There is nothing like an insatiable hunger for tomorrow when we're less than a third of the way through today. I'm as keen as you I promise, I hope I'll get a game next time! Wink

There are a lot of environment independent reasons why Swiss is a good fit for our game (for one example, whilst I'm not ruling out a mass, FC style KO, I'm not sure it's that desirable to lock out lots of coaches from playing NAF games for a few weeks because they lost their first game), but I am not telling you that every tournament we run will be 250 man Swiss behemoths like this one. We started this way to match the ruleset of the tournament we're linked to, and we also had no idea on the numbers and interest we'd generate. Maybe tomorrow will be different, you'll have to wait and see. There are loads of ways of skinning a cat, and I like to think I'm aware of a few. Wink

I'm up for any and all fluff and additions, we're lucky enough to have lots of lovely stuff already. I'm not sure that TD leaders (etc.) need to be announced round by round, the environment is such that there isn't a pause for everyone to take it in. If someone's interested that type of thing, I don't see any harm in doing it with a few games having already taken place. You could have a 1 games played leader and a 2 games played leader, for instance.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Ideally, KO and Swiss have the same number of rounds.

Form the Swiss tournament wiki:

"Assuming no drawn games, determining a clear winner (and, incidentally, a clear loser) would require the same number of rounds as a knockout tournament, that is the binary logarithm of the number of players rounded up. Thus three rounds can handle eight players, four rounds can handle sixteen players and so on. If fewer than this minimum number of rounds are played, it can happen that two or more players finish the tournament with a perfect score, having won all their games but never faced each other."

Thus, I was always wondering why many swiss tournaments here have fewer rounds than it should.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I propose a pink fluffy pacifist cape for the highest placed team with zero casualties, so people can laugh at the poor fool wearing it.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:
Ideally, KO and Swiss have the same number of rounds.

Form the Swiss tournament wiki:

"Assuming no drawn games, determining a clear winner (and, incidentally, a clear loser) would require the same number of rounds as a knockout tournament, that is the binary logarithm of the number of players rounded up. Thus three rounds can handle eight players, four rounds can handle sixteen players and so on. If fewer than this minimum number of rounds are played, it can happen that two or more players finish the tournament with a perfect score, having won all their games but never faced each other."

Thus, I was always wondering why many swiss tournaments here have fewer rounds than it should.

For one because there are in fact draws. 2nd swiss is a way of finishing a tournament in a predetermined number of rounds less than needed in full KO.It's is a question of balancing the number of rounds with the risk of the multiple players with perfect score scenario.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
For one because there are in fact draws.
True. Note, however, that we can optionally enforce overtime in FUMBBL tournaments. I know it is a no option for TT tournaments though.

Post   Posted: Jan 25, 2015 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand. And I agree we should use different formats for different tournaments.

But overall I would generally avoid overtime (in all games) to make the gap between TT NAF and fumbbl NAF as small as possible. If there are no draws say Undead play style could change quite a bit in many situations.

I think my personal favourite would be x-rounds swiss and then KO or double KO, but I also fancy the idea of mirror tournaments of big TT tournaments.

Making a fumbbl world cup should surely be done with nine rounds and teams of six players if you ask me. Smile

Also overtime rules are a big issue in itself. Are there good overtime rules options on fumbbl?
 Jump to: