45 coaches online • Server time: 16:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 11:59 Reply with quote Back to top

S3 Catchers/Lion Warriors should be the USP. Pro Elfs should have got S2 Catchers imo.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I'm just a little more worried about them being bland. From a technical perspective they don't do anything special that other teams can't do better, from a fluff perspective they seem to lack character. As mentioned I don't mind the current roster, but they are more like generic elves than highborn Ulthuans, IMO. I agree, they can be built into something else, but during the course of this little thought experiment I've come to enjoy the idea of an actual passing team in this weird ball game. Who knows, a team that starts out really good at passing might stir things up a bit?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

You nasty people should leave my glorious High Elves alone. Bullies. Sad

(I really posted to wonder if Jimmy's new sig is more or less dodgy than the old one! You can't touch the bestest Elves. Woooo! Razz)
Fabulander

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
S3 Catchers/Lion Warriors should be the USP. Pro Elfs should have got S2 Catchers imo.

Interresting. This would work well to make the High Elves particularly good in one way. It would also increase the kamikazi playing style of the Pro's, and make them cheaper overall.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

(I really posted to wonder if Jimmy's new sig is more or less dodgy than the old one! You can't touch the bestest Elves. Woooo! Razz)

And that right there is no mean feat. Could the old sig really be topped in it's pure pestiferousness? Why, yes. Yes it can. But are we surprised? No, because - of course - Jimmy is always writing. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

What are you guys still going on about after 11 pages?
Fixing HE? ...Geez shush go away!
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I only reply so I can see my new sig again Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

More viable passing game seems like a good thing for High Elves. At least it will increase the usefulness of Pass Block Very Happy

S2 Elf Catchers? Silly idea. That makes Elf just slow skaven... with no Rat Ogre... and Side Step Blitzers. No, feel free to "fix" High Elves but let those poor Elf Catchers alone. Although they should be a bit cheaper if I want to regularly field 4.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
I gave the thrower dodge to make them more attractive. It was deliberate, as even non passing coaches may pick up a thrower, which gives them a chance to pass time to time. They would not bank on it, but would use it in special circumstances, thus experiencing the passing aspect of this roster.

Not passing coaches want a fast MA 8 Catcher ball carrier, not a sluggish MA 6 Thrower, even with Dodge.
MA is the key, between MA 6 and MA 8 there is a huge difference.
Throwers are too expensive for what they give to the team, especially if they get 2-3 skills, then they become a bloat.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

High Elf throwers already are the best throwers. With ag4, pass and safe throw so you can use them to throw through opposing lines and also av8 so as not to worry about them being fragile like Pro Elf or Wood Elf throwers. Ok they don't have sure hands but neither do other Elf throwers.
Not every side should be as good as Wood Elves. Having said that I quite like the idea of stand firm on the blitzers to represent some kind of solid military style. On that note High Elves are also one of the most dull races in Warhammer FB too.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
High Elf throwers already are the best throwers. With ag4, pass and safe throw so you can use them to throw through opposing lines and also av8 so as not to worry about them being fragile like Pro Elf or Wood Elf throwers. Ok they don't have sure hands but neither do other Elf throwers.
Not every side should be as good as Wood Elves. Having said that I quite like the idea of stand firm on the blitzers to represent some kind of solid military style. On that note High Elves are also one of the most dull races in Warhammer FB too.

SAy what? One of the most dull races in WFB??? Absolutely not. That title belongs to ANY of the humans or Chaos. Seriously, to play a FANTASY game and be like "hey, I am cool because I play humans. "....

When you are throwing 5000 pts out there, you have 4 cavalry units, a dragon, mages that will control the battle, shadow warriors hiding and units that will cut up Dwarfs and hold their ground against tides of Chaos you have one awesome army. To say they are dull is a stretch. They are far more diverse than the scattered remnants of their wood elf cousins .

In fact all of the Elves are really based out of Ulthuan at one point. So really to have them be the generic elves is pretty crappy. The fluff and novels involving their history is pretty bad-ass. And the old world would be entirely corrupt by Chaos if it were not for Aenarion, Indraugnir and some amazing mages.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey now, let's not argue. All elves are dull.

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Hey now, let's not argue. All elves are dull.

Kind of right, in my opinion. The problem is universal GA access, which means that barring doubles and stat increases every player can be developed in the same way. This is for example the problem with Dark Elves: Blitzers can do everything that the other players can do, only better! So many coaches don't bother with the rest of the positionals.

What do the different elf teams have to offer?
- Wood Elves: Best player in the game and mini gutter runners.
- Dark Elves: Assassins, Runners and Witches, although overshadowed by Blitzers.
- Pro Elves: Side Step (meh) and Nerves of Steel (kind of cool). Low on core skills.
- High Elves: Safe Throw (meh). Low on core skills.

So of course High Elves look like the dullest of the lot, as they have to get all the boring core GA skills and the only distinguishing feature is pretty underwhelming.
mrbibitte3

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Since we can say anything we want in this thread as it will never be adopted, here's my take on it.

Replace the Blitzer with a heavily armoured Dragon Warrior.
5-3-4-9 Block, Stand Firm... General and Strength skill access.

Now, that would change the face of the team. Smile
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 28, 2015 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

mrbibitte3 wrote:
Since we can say anything we want in this thread as it will never be adopted, here's my take on it.

Replace the Blitzer with a heavily armoured Dragon Warrior.
5-3-4-9 Block, Stand Firm... General and Strength skill access.

Now, that would change the face of the team. Smile

I would try that too. May I also suggest to make the catchers and throwers into mvm7. I accept the point that movement is key in ball carrying. So do not keep 2 point of movement difference if we want to promote the thrower. So

Lineelf 6,3,4,8 70k
Blitzer 5,3,4,9 block, stand firm 110k
Thrower 7,3,4,7 pass, safe throw 90k
Catcher 7,3,4,7 catch 80k