13 coaches online • Server time: 05:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Phil McKrackin?

Post   Posted: Jan 29, 2015 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you saying Apojar better get kraken, 'cause he's dragon arse?

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2015 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

CHECFTER: We are back, NBFL fans! You're watching the NBFL Season 14 Draft Review/Analysis Show. I'm your co-host Stabbem Chefcter alongside my long-time colleague Mr. Kill Wiper Jr. We're breaking down this season's draft picks in order, and we're currently up to numbers 11 and 12.

WIPER JR: Both teams are in the AFC. Both teams have had prominent places in the Conference as recently as last season. Both teams got banged up by some crippling injuries. It seems that the training staffs all through the NBFL have really had their hands full the last season or two.

CHEFCTER: How right you are, Killy. There's always going to be parity in our league, as well as turn-over in the way that lesser teams become a force, whereas the former giants have receded. It's just the nature of how the League works. Everyone has their day!

WIPER JR: It's a great thing to see teams that have struggled in the past rise to glory. Take the boys in New Tomb. The previous ownership in this city was mired in obscurity year after year. It's took a fresh new face to come in and give the fans something to cheer about in the Big Apple.

CHEFCTER: They were a great story this year. It was a pleasure watching them go through the season and the AFC Playoffs.

WIPER JR: You have the other side of the coin also, which nobody likes to go through. Great teams that suddenly take a few steps back for various reasons; injuries, salary cap, League-mandated suspensions, and the such.

CHEFCTER: Nobody likes to be on that end of it, you're right Killy. Our next two teams may be in that category. This first one, at pick #11, still managed to finish in 2nd place in the self-destructive AFC East. I use the term "self-destructive" because the proximity of all 4 teams in this division is so close. They spend the year demolishing each other, only to have their champion emerge with a sub-.500 winning percentage.

11. MIAMI.

Race: Chaos Pact
Player Selected: Erric Rhett (Florida)
Skills: Block, Mighty Blow, Piling On - 45 points
Position: Marauder

Grade of Pick: A

CHEFCTER: The Krakens are saddled in the bashilicious AFC East division. Being Chaos Pact, they have a LOT of beef on the front line to help pave the way for their ball carriers to waltz into the End Zone. Their 3 enormous Big Guys are all top-notch, having Block in the arsenal for all 3.

They do have some rookies on the squad in various positions. Let's see where the needs are the greatest.

BIG GUY: NO!!!! Thankfully, there's 3 very good ones already employed. There's no need to search here.

DARK ELF RENEGADE: This is certainly possible. They have a rookie on the squad, so it may be a worthwhile investment here.

GOBLIN RENEGADE: Again, a rookie in place, so this could also be an upgrade. It wouldn't be the first place I look, however.

SKAVEN RENEGADE: Nope. No need to look here when Stockbridge is still around as a mainstay of the Miami defense. This isn't the place to look for improvement.

MARAUDER: Sure. With the amount of rookies here on the squad, there's room here for improvement. There's already a couple of support Marauders on the squad. The only removal threat still around (aside from the Big Guys) is Mitchell Fayed. The Krakens already employ a Dirty Player. They could, down the road, use a Kicker, but it's not a pressing need for these guys.

So, if you get down to it, a Marauder really seems to be the way to go. It seems that they could use a bit more steady removal/damage dealing, rather than a Support player. Looking through the appropriate sections, the Krakens find a very solid player to fit the mold in Rhett. Coming with Block, Mighty Blow, and Piling On, he will be a welcome addition to the South Florida squad. This is a well-designed pick to fit a pre-existing plan. Good choice.

WIPER JR: I do enjoy it when teams draft bruisers. Puts the Blood in Blood Bowl.

This next squad has enjoyed a lot of success through the years, but fell on hard times with some serious injuries. They have, arguably, one of the best coaches in all of the NBFL.

12. SAN DOGO

Race: Human
Player Selected: Helen Imaman (Wisconsin)
Skills: (+AG), Wrestle, Strip Ball - 42 points
Position: Catcher

Grade of Pick: A+

WIPER JR: This team is the epitome of a well-run franchise. They have talent. They're extremely well-coached. They make no excuses; injuries or not, it's just the "next man up" theory. Everybody has their role on this squad. They know what they have to do. These guys are the perfect example of "team play"

Let's dissect the roster to see where they have some holes they need to fill:

BLITZTER: Maybe. It may not be the first place I would look, but if there's an excellent player available here, it might be worth consideration. Their core is phenomenal, with the only younger player being Barkus Gilchrest. It appears that he's being groomed to, at first, serve as a supporting Blitzer. If they were to improve here, the new player would have to come with Guard on board.

THROWER: No. This is not necessary. Somehow, some way, Ryan Leaf is STILL alive and throwing for San Dogo. There isn't a need to look for improvement here.

CATCHER: Perhaps. There's only one on the roster at the moment, in the person of Chris Growlkowski. He's got a lot of experience, but he could sure use a bit of help so he's not the focus of the opponent's defensive plan. This could be a decent place to add some depth and talent.

BIG GUY: Maybe. There may be a bit of skepticism or superstition involved here, though. The Chompers have played a total of 171 games, be it regular season, builder, or post-season. In all that time, San Dogo has employed 4 Ogres. All 4 of them lasted a total of 19 games. When you have a spot that costs that much against the salary cap showing up for just over 11% of your matches, it makes you a bit hesitant to invest. Notice that I didn't say "contributing": they didn't even do much of that. All 4 players met with an early, untimely death on the pitch. It's a possibility, but we shall have to see.

LINEMAN: This may be the only time I ever say this, but no. This team might not improve by drafting a Lineman. These guys are so very well developed and specialized. It would almost defeat the purpose by trying to add another player here.

So, we have come up with the possibilites of a Catcher first, then a very good Blitzer, and then perhaps a Ogre. Let's see what's out there.

Looking through the Skilled section, San Dogo comes across an excellent choice in Helen Imaman. He's agile, and can play both sides of the ball. He fits the mold for what Coach Kryten demands: versatile, dynamic players on both sides. This is the prototypical selection for the boys from Southern California. An excellent pick. They guy they really need at the position they could most benefit from.

Suffice it to say, Stabby and I are both "Fan Dogos", as their followers often refer to themselves as. They are enjoyable to watch, as they just play the game the way it was meant to be played. We're happy to be able to discuss it with the Head Coach of the Chompers, Coach Kryten. Coach, welcome to the program.

KRYTEN: Glad to be here, and thanks for the support over the many seasons!

WIPER JR: Coach, you've been doing this now for what seems like forever. Your team just continues to win with the idea of playing "team ball" with regards to how it is constructed. Can you give us an understanding on how to approach or construct a team like this? Are there things that are more important to look for when it comes to drafting?

KRYTEN: Humans can be a tough squad to manage, and it is certain that we will face some hard hitting teams every season. Our strategy, first and foremost, is to be able to win the blocking battle. Critical to that end is to draft sufficient players with Guard, and to have enough fouling power to kick them when they are down.

WIPER JR: Can you talk to us about your Blitzer core? The same three guys have been the anchors of your squad for a myriad of seasons now. What affect does it have on the rest of your squad when they see these guys playing day in and day out?

KRYTEN: Ryan Diem, Karst Hadl, and Kill Byrds have been leading the defense for many seasons now. They seem unstoppable despite numerous injuries, and are seen as an inspiration across the team. Many are inspired to push through injuries that would end a lesser man's career.

CHEFCTER: Coach, Stabbem Chefcter here. Good to talk with you. Do you believe your team to be cursed when it comes to your Big Guys? Anyone who has played the position for you has come to a sudden end.

KRYTEN: This is true, and it's a source of shame for San Dogo. In the early days, we hired three ogres, and they played a total of 20 matches combined. The local community colleges are unable to produce a quality ogre capable of NBFL play. Our next Ogre will have to be drafted externally.

WIPER JR: Do you feel that your play style is tailored to the AFC West? Do you think your style would mesh well with a different division in the AFC?

KRYTEN: I feel humans are at a disadvantage at higher TV, and in that respect we have been fortunate. For years, our division has featured undead, vampires, and dark elves. Of those matchups, dark elves and vampires are favorable, and undead is even. I think in a division featuring more strong, bashy players we would do worse.

CHEFCTER: Care to throw out a prediction for the upcoming season, Coach?

KRYTEN: Fangsas is overdue for a big season, and I'm picking Nekran to lead them to a 10-6 record and the division title.

WIPER JR: Coach, thanks so much for stopping by today. Good luck to you and the boys this season.

CHEFCTER: Folks, we're through the first 12 picks. Stay tuned, as we barrel onward through the rest of the League. At pick 13, I'm going to be discussing a solid team from the AFC South.

WIPER JR: I'll also tackle pick #14, which is another one of the dynamic teams from the AFC West.

CHEFCTER: Stay tuned, folks! We'll be back after these messages.
Apojar

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

CHEFCTER: And we are back, fans. Welcome back to the Season 14 edition of the NBFL Draft Review and Analysis Show. Alongside the legendary Kill Wiper Jr, I'm Stabbem Chefcter. We've already discussed the first 12 picks of this season. We're here now to open the discussions on picks #13 and #14.
You ready to go, Killy?

WIPER JR: Ready and raring to go, Stabby.

CHEFCTER: Our first team finds itself in the highly physical AFC South. They have a slight advantage in that they don't really have to worry about their lives being cut short... they're not really alive.

13. INDIANAPOLIS

Race: Undead
Player Selected: Darkmontre Moore (Texas S&M)
Skills: Dodge, Mighty Blow, Tackle, Piling On - 54 points
Position: Wight

CHEFCTER: Speaking in general terms, Undead are extremely versatile. They can throw when they need to. They can bash with the best of them. They can regenerate, taking hits from the best of them. They often win with attrition. They just keep coming back on the field no matter how you Pile On them. In that sense, they're a bit tricky to try to out-bash.

Let's go through the Crypts to see if there's any glaring needs that have to be addressed.

MUMMY: Nope. Not with this squad. There are two VERY good players on the squad here. This is not the place I would think upgrading would be possible. I.E. - What would be drafted wouldn't be as significant an upgrade as can be had in other positions.

WIGHT: Yes, this is a good place. The Crypts have lost their Super Star player, Byron Evils. The remaining player is Duane Blockett, another top notch player. This would certainly be a place that can add improvement to the club.

GHOUL: Yes. This would also be a good place for improvement. We here at BSDN are very familiar with the coaching style of MrNomad, seeing as how he used to work with us at the Network. We know how much he prides himself on stat-mongering Ghoul play. Their coach really must be a Necromancer or a Lich, as his Ghouls, no matter what team he's coaching, magically and mysteriously develop extra agility and strength. It must be something in the water there in Indy....

ZOMBIE or SKELETON: Far be it from me to ever say that a team can't add depth through the Lineman section. Only on rare occasion would that ever be said, and we had one example of that earlier in the show. There's surely good players that can be had, and that would improve this squad. In my opinion, Indy would be better serving itself by looking at a positional instead.

So, as we've come to see, we have some needs at both the Ghoul and the Wight position. If nothing is available, only then would we suggest a Zombie for the squad. Let's see what we have to choose from.

Wights ONLY qualify in the Blitzer category, which has been hit pretty heavily thus far. Indy doesn't have to search for long, though. There are two candidates that have excellent skill sets for what Indianapolis is asking of the position. The question posed by the front office was this: Would we rather have a player with Dodge on board, or would we rather have a player with Pro? Coach MrNomad chooses to draft the Dodge player, who happens to be Darkmontre Moore. Having Dodge gives him an extra bit of defense, forcing the opponent to commit a Tackler if he absolutely has to put him down. This is a solid, effective, well-researched choice to replace their fallen Super Star.

We will still, however, look within the Skilled section to do our due diligence with regards to improvement with a Ghoul. Despite the section being fairly depleted already, there ARE two good candidates awaiting the draft, but neither would have nearly the immediate effect on the squad as Moore does.

In the end, BSDN feels as though Indy drafted the correct player to fit the greatest need. Good choice.

WIPER JR: I have to agree, Killy. Ghouls are important positionals, but the stability and impact that this particular Wight would bring is just too great to ignore.

Our next squad to look at plays in the highly competitive AFC West. It's a "new" squad, in that they've moved from their former home in Fallen Soldier Field to play for the beatiful city of

14. UNDEADVER

Race: Necromantic
Player Selected: Jordan Demogorgon (Air Force)
Skills: Dodge, Mighty Blow, Tackle, Piling On - 55 points
Position: Werewolf

Grade of Pick: A+

WIPER JR: As we mentioned in the teaser, this team is picking up from its former base of operations in Chicago, and re-planting itself in the Mile High City. It's an older franchise with the same ownership and coaching staff.

Coach Oryx takes his team's talents to the highly diverse AFC West, hoping to wreak further havoc in the NBFL. The division is used to having a team that can Regenerate, but a team that can Claw is a new threat that the West will now have to deal with.

This team has been idle for some time, but the core of the franchise, for the most part, is in tact. Let's dissect the roster and see where it can improve the most.

WEREWOLF: Maybe. Maybe not. These guys employ two already. They're good, but they aren't really game-changing, as Werewolves are always perceived to be. It's possible to improve here if there's something pretty good out there to consider.

FLESH GOLEM: No. Not here. Undeadver has two DANDIES on their squad already, in the bodies of Henry Meltdown and Dan Ryan. These two guys are beautiful players for their position. They do exactly what a coach would want them to do. There really isn't any improvement to be sought here.

WIGHT: I don't think so. With Morgs Franklin and Major Wright on the squad, their complimentary nature lends itself to excellent team play. One hits, one scoops up the ball in their dust. There would really have to be an outstanding player to replace one of these two.

GHOUL: No. There are two on the squad, and they're both stat-mongers. One is strong like bull. One is quick like dirty, filthy elf. They're very useful as they are, and will only improve. I wouldn't think there would be much improvement to be made here.

ZOMBIE: Maybe. All of the Zombies on this squad have at least one skill. They all understand their role, as it's pretty well-defined, based on their training. If there's a very good player available, it's always a good bet that some improvement can be made through depth from the Linemen section.

Out of everything we've looked at, this team actually looks pretty darn good so far, which is a tribute to their front office and Coach oryx. If we are looking to improve, Undeadver is really in the envious position of taking the "best player available", as they don't have a glaring, gaping mouth of a hole to fill.

In the Linemen section, there are a few nice supporting Zombie possibilities, any of which would have Guard on board. In the Skilled section, there are a few "nice" Werewolf candidates. Then, we get to the shared Skilled/Blitzer section.

Undeadver begins to drool when it sees that Jordan Demogorgon is available. He fits the scheme of an offensive-minded Werewolf PERFECTLY. He instills immediate fear against any opponent he plays, which causes game planning by other coaches to account for his destructive capability. Demogorgon adds an instant amount of credibility to an already beefy squad relocating to the Mile High city. In the end, this turns out to be a great choice by Undeadver.

It is such a good choice, that we here at BSDN have had our mind changed. When we first set out to speculate and mock this draft, and learned of the the former Chicago squad moving, we had been convinced that the best way to improve this squad was to draft David Dallas, a Zombie out of Oregon. He awaits to be drafted, with his supporting skill set of Block, Dodge, and Guard. He's a nice player, but he doesn't have nearly the potency that Demogorgon does. The front office of the Six-Foot-Under Club managed to teach us a thing or two.

CHEFCTER: That might be the first time BSDN felt like they got one wrong... or at least, went public about it.

WIPER JR: I don't ever remember another feeling of a "swing and a miss" on our end. We completely overlooked this one.

CHEFCTER: It seems like you think it's a better pick?

WIPER JR: Oh, there's no doubt. It's not only a more useful pick, it's far sexier too.

CHEFCTER: Well, let's hope that the pick works out for them in the long run. Folks, don't change that station. We're almost at the halfway point in this season's draft. Stick around. Next segment, we both delve into the middle of the heated NFC West. Stick around!
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 22:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Great stuff Apojar.

Great read as always.

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2015 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, each time the highlight of my fumbbl day.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't wait to see what you can say about our pick. Not much to write about there... Laughing

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2015 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I always get a B- or lesser. Take your time. My ego doesn't need a hammering for a week or two. Smile

Jeffro
Apojar

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 17:15 Reply with quote Back to top

CHECFTER: We are back, folks. Welcome back to the Season 14 NBFL Draft Review and Analysis Show. I'm your co-host Stabbem Chefcter, alongside the long-time NBFL enthusiast Kill Wiper Jr.

WIPER JR: I hate that we take commercial breaks, Stabby. I just want to keep going and going.

CHEFCTER: Well, we should petition the League to expand up to 60+ teams so we can talk a lot more.

WIPER JR: I love the way you think, Stabby. I'm making a few phone calls during your segment.

CHEFCTER: Let us know how that works out, Killy. Our next team up to talk about was our 3rd place finisher last season in the NFC West. These guys are the agile, swift players in this division, relying on being far more fleet of foot than their opponents.

15. SEATTLE

Race: High Elf
Player Selected: David Dallas (Oregon)
Skills: Block, Dodge, Guard - 33 points
Position: High Elf Lineman

CHEFCTER: These guys are exciting to watch. When it comes to ball handling, ball control, and... well, ball scoring, these folks are near the top of the NBFL with the ability they have. They'd rather dance in your end zone with the ball instead of trying to dance on your face or grave.

As the team is currently constructed. this squad is VERY good. Let's look at the roster to see where we can possibly improve the most.

DRAGON WARRIOR: No. I wouldn't be looking to upgrade here. The two boys on the squad already, Jamoris Slaughter and Dashani Skinkslayer, are excellent at what they do. This really isn't a place that would be able to be upgraded via the draft.

PHOENIX WARRIOR: No. With Keith Burythem on the squad, there isn't much of a need to seek an upgrade at this position.

LION WARRIOR: Maybe. With only 2 of the 4 allowable players on the squad, it wouldn't hurt to seek some extra receivers. This is a possibility.

WIPER JR: You still use the Old School names for positons also, Stabby?

CHEFCTER: I don't care what the powers that be call them now... They'll ALWAYS be Warriors of some type in my book, but we digress..

LINEMAN: It's possible. There's always room for good depth at a Lineman position. The Weed Gawks are pretty well-developed at the Lineman position, but it's still worth looking for improvement wherever it can be gained.

We can now see that the two places that would offer the greatest places of improvement would be at the Lion Warrior position, or a Lineman. Let's see what's available.

Looking through the Skilled section, the best player that's available, according to the Think Tank at BSDN would be Iron Beagle out of Air Force (Block, +MA, Leader - 37 points). He's a pretty nice addition to the squad, even offering the beginnings of a down-the-field threat for Seattle.

Now, we breeze through the Lineman section. The best player for the Weed Gawks that's available by far would be Dallas. He offers a great amount of support for his teammates to function.

So, the magic question comes down to this: which do you value more? Do you value extra movement, another potential scoring threat, and a "free" re-roll on board for a receiver, or would you rather have a player that supports your team to make everyone around him better?

We here at BSDN feel that the improvement of more than one player on the squad certainly outweighs the benefits of adding a receiver in this particular case. This was the right pick to make for this team. Credit goes to the Seattle's front office, as well as Coach Stimme.

WIPER JR: I can get on board with that reasoning. I, for one, like the ability to put up 4 goals a match, but if this player allows me a lot more consistency, I'm all for it. Let's now look at our next team to draft.

These guys also play in the NFC West. They are an elegant balancing act of face-smacking and blistering speed.

16. ARIZONA

Race; Skaven
Player Selected: Gunther Steiner (Wisconsin)
Skills: Dodge, Tackle, Side Step - 45 points
Position: Storm Vermin

Grade of Pick: B

WIPER JR: Arizona is an extremely well-rounded, well-developed squad. They finished last season in 2nd place. They should be encouraged, having finished over .500 in the NFC. With the likes of Eli Manning distributing the ball to Leon Hall, these guys have the potential to put up a 6-spot on any given game day.

This team, as is the case with many of the squads this past season, had some injury concerns, so let's look at where the holes are that need to be filled.

STORM VERMIN: The squad currently has two, though one is rather young. If there's a solid player available via the draft, this is a place where good improvement can be made.

THROWER: Probably not, no. As we had previously discussed, there's a high-quality QB already in place on the squad in the likes of Eli Manning. If you were to pick up a player here, it would be solely for a back-up player. It seems like a waste of a pick for a back-up player at this position in the draft.

GUTTER RUNNER: Perhaps. Arizona ended their regular season last year with only 2 on the squad. This would be a very good place to add quality depth to a younger squad.

RAT OGRE: Most likely no. At 31 points, John Abraham is more than capable of holding down the role that the coaching staff requires. There's not a significant upgrade to seek at this position.

LINERAT: Perhaps. There's always depth that can be added through the core position of each team.

So, having gone through the positions, it looks as though we need a Gutter Runner, a Storm Vermin, and perhaps a solid Linerat. Let's jump on in.

First, we look through what's available in the Skilled section. Still sitting in the back room is a very solid receiving candidate in the person of Iron Beagle. (Block, +MA, Leader - 37 pts). As a Gutter Runner he would prove to be invaluable in the rapid-scoring department. He's a chain-push away from scoring in one turn. He would also come with a rather cheap Re-Roll in the repertoire, being a natural clubhouse presence.

He would be a really good addition to the club. Let's look, however, through the Blitzer section for a Storm Vermin.

In the back room, there sits a solid candidate in Steiner. He's a nice addition, coming with two harder-to-come-by skills. He has a little bit more to offer defensively, making it a bit harder to remove him from the pitch.

The folks here at BSDN felt that the greater impact for the squad would have come in the form of a speedster over a Linebacker-style player. Arizona still gets a quality player, but we feel as though he may have missed out on an opportunity to throw up that late score to tie a ball game; that emergency score to steal a match or two. It's still a good choice, but in the end, the greater team impact would have been seen from a faster receiver. This may seem like it's in direct conflict to our first segment, thinking that improving more people at once with a supporting player is worth more than a star receiver. A one-turn player, however, is so game-changing and threatening, it may very well be worth it to overlook the Storm Vermin in favor of a Gutter Runner that can score at will. The supporting player, in this case, also does NOT have Guard, so the previous scenario doesn't apply if you're comparing apples to apples.

CHEFCTER: Not sure I agree with you on this one, Killy, Need to be able to play both sides of the ball to win in this league.

WIPER JR: Stabby, when you get a chance at a player that can score with ease that quickly, it's really worth the investment. He makes it a LOT easier to post W's in the proper column.

CHEFCTER: I'll tell you what, let's get the answers to our questions directly from the folks that matter. Ladies and Gentlemen, we'd like to welcome the head coach of the Sinners to the program,

Coach FRSHMN. Coach, welcome to the program! Glad to have you.

FRSHMN: Hey there, folks. Glad I got an invite.

CHEFCTER: Coach, as you know, we like to break down rosters and talk about the players selected in the draft each year. Give us an insight as to how you came to draft Gunther Steiner this season.

FRSHMN: In my philosophy, the two Blitzer spots are of great importance for the success and survivability of Skaven teams. I mean, don’t get me wrong, we all know it’s the Gutter Runner that scores touchdowns, but along the way, who gets one’s hands dirty? You got it, the Blitzer does! So having two well-developed Blitzers is of highest priority to me.

With Brian Leonard, we have a great hitter on the team who is on the best way to earn his superstar-spurs. On the other hand, our supporting Blitzer Daryl Washington isn’t that awesome. He was the season XII replacement for gone-too-soon College Draftee Taylor Henry, but somehow stagnated in his development. 7 spp in one and a half seasons isn’t enough in a highly competitive environment like the NBFL, so we had to let him go.

Gunther as his replacement still lacks the very important skill of Guard but he’s a young and hungry player and with 6 spp to the next skill, Guard is only a question of time (not too much, we hope). Besides that the “War” Steiner package includes Dodge and Side Step, rare skills on a Skaven Blitzer that will double the usefulness of Guard once he’s used to it.

CHEFCTER: We've been having quite a discussion back and forth, Killy and I, about the pick. It seems that many of the BSDN folks felt that you may have been better served with drafting Iron Beagle as a Gutter Runner, to add that extra massive scoring threat. What are your thoughts on Beagle's skill set. Would it have worked for you, and why not pick the +MA on a receiver?

FRSHMN: I think, Beagle makes a great Thrower, but we’re lock ‘n’ loaded at this position. For a Gutter Runner, Leader is kind of a pain, even more as we already have a great one in Eli Manning. And with 37 spp, he’s a bit too far away from his next skill.

But I can tell you, we had the One-Turn-Option on our draft board. Ichibei Abukara has been a very tempting player, with Catch, Side Step and Sprint he brings all the skills a good One-Turn-Option needs. And with 45 spp, he’s quite close of getting’ even better.

Sadly for Ichibei, that wasn’t enough to convince us to go with him. We somehow felt it would be easier to build our own one-turning Gutter Runner than it would be to develop a good supporting Blitzer. And so we went with Gunther.

WIPER JR: Coach, Kill Wiper Jr. here. Your squad is something like the "tweener" in the NFC West, meaning you can ball with the best of them, while being able to bring your bashing to the next match. Tell us what's it like trying to game plan for such a wide array of play that seems to be commonplace in the West.

FRSHMN: All we can do is being prepared. Prepared for the bash as well as for the balling. I think, being caught in the middle can be an advantage, too. We know each style, and we can throw the other one in the ring, too.

CHEFCTER: Coach, prediction time. How do you see the West shaping up this season?

FRSHMN: The Boys from Ban Fran are on their way to become the power house of the NFC West, and with Seattle there is a team that can win a game even when outnumbered badly by pure Elf balling. And then there is In-Sane Louie, which gets into shape, too. But I’m confident we can handle those Bruisers and Ballers. Arizona wins the NFC West, and we don’t care what’s going on in our rear.

CHEFCTER: Coach FRSHMN of the Arizona Sinners, thank you very much for stopping by this evening.

WIPER JR: You know, Stabby. He really makes a good point. Gutter Runners, comparatively speaking, are a LOT easier to develop than Storm Vermin are.

CHEFCTER: That's true, Killy. They're often doing all the thankless tasks that need to get done on the pitch, rarely getting rewarded for it. His reasoning sure makes sense for his squad. Good reasoning for them.

Stay tuned, fellow NBFL fans. We're coming back with two more NFC teams, both of which finished 3rd in their respective divisions.

WIPER JR: If you finish 3rd in a division, and you're drafting at 17 or 18, that should tell you how tough the competition is in your division.

CHEFCTER: I was just about to comment on that, Killy. Stick around, folks. We'll be back after some commercial messages.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet!

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Great job yet again!

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2015 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Great work, cant wait for the next two!
Apojar

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2015 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

CHEFCTER: Welcome back, sports fans! You're watching the NBFL Draft Analysis and Review Show here on Blood Sports Daily Network, or BSDN as we affectionately call ourselves. I'm Stabbem Chefcter alongside my co-host of many a year now, Kill Wiper Jr.

WIPER JR: That was a long commercial break, Stabby. We keep those up, I'm going to need therapy...

CHEFCTER: You'll be hard-pressed to find two more rabid, hard-core fans of the NBFL than us. We're through half of the teams this season, with more excitement coming up! Let's dive right into our next squad, our 3rd place finisher in the NFC South.

17. GNAWLEANS

Race: Nurgle
Player Selected: Nick Saban (Kent State)
Skills: Block, Side Step, Fend - 36 points
Position: Pestigor

CHEFCTER: This may very well be the most frustrating team to play against in all of the NBFL. They smell bad. They hold on every play (with their Tentacles). The referees never call a holding penalty on them, as they're afraid of being infected with "the Rot".

There isn't much that these guys can't do. They're very well-rounded. Their front line is very durable, with the Nurgle Warriors having missed a total of 4 games between all four of them. That's outstanding production.

The strategy seems to be one of harassment. They don't have a single player on their squad that even averages a CAS every other game. They aren't known for their removal, but for their constant annoyance of the ball, with a lot of Fend, Side Step and the such. Combine that with some Blodge sprinkled in, you have the makings of a frustrating, difficult squad to oppose.

Let's take a peek at the squad to see if there's any big holes that need to be filled or addressed.

BEAST OF NURGLE: Not really. Muerte Anderson is employed by the Stanks. He has Guard and Stand Firm in the repertoire already. He provides the services that are the most vital for a player of his position. There's isn't significant upgrading to be done here.

NURGLE WARRIOR: No. These 4 guys are VERY good together. They have the right amount of "support-style" skills to them, while being able to hang onto their opponent. When they hold them in place with their Tentacles, they make you pay for it with Mighty Blow. There isn't a good upgrade to make here unless the player has nearly the same skills as what are already present, which is next to unheard of coming out of college.

PESTIGOR: This is a possibility. This position is pretty much asked to do everything on the squad. They have to defend, they have to carry the ball, they have to free the ball from the opponent, and still have to be harassing and annoying about it. There's room for improvement here.

ROTTER: There's most likely room for improvement here. It's a bit risky drafting a Rotter, with their far greater chance of suffering a catastrophic injury. If there's a really good player out there to serve a specific role, it makes it worth drafting one. Otherwise, if there's a positional need that exists, it's far "safer" to look there.

So, we decide that our first preference is most likely to draft a Pestigor, unless we discover a fantastic Rotter that cannot be passed on. Let's dive in.

A looked through the Skilled section brings a few good candidates to light. Two of these candidates fit the harassment mold that seems to suit the Gnawleans play style. The first candidate would be Shomee Yercock out of Arizona. She comes out with Block, Side Step, and Diving Tackle, which would prove to be VERY difficult to deal with. At 40 points, she's 11 away from picking up another skill.

The second candidate, however, is who coach fatfinley and the front office decide on. It's Nick Saban out of Kent State. He is another player who fits the harassing mold very well, but...

Saban actually fits into the scheme a little better, having Fend already on board. A Fend player will at least have a bit more survivability, since he could deny an opponent the right to Pile On or even use their Frenzy skill. Though still a very useful skill, Diving Tackle just doesn't fit the harassing model in the same way that the Stanks would greatly desire. When the player uses the skill, it will potentially (if successful) put him on the ground, That costs the player some of his movement for the turn. The benefits are there, don't get me wrong, but for what Gnawleans is attempting to do, drafting Saban makes all the sense in the world.

Just so we do our due diligence, let's be sure to look through the Lineman category, to make sure we're not passing on a super star.

Looking through, there are a few good players there, with the two best probably being either Yanice Derrick (+ST, Dirty Player - 17 points) or Nip Slipper (Block, Tackle, Kick - 31 points). They're pretty good players, but they're not nearly as unique and useful as Saban will prove to be for the boys in the Big Easy.

Gnawleans got the position it needed, and they got, what we at BSDN feel, was the best player available to play that position. It may not be sexy, but it's the pick that improves the team the most, based on their current structure of operation.

WIPER JR: I, for one Stabby, am a big fan of Diving Tackle, but it has to be coupled with good skills and good players around it. You can't just have one guy out there diving at people, only to leave him exposed on the pitch to get fouled. Good analysis, Stabby.

Our next squad finished 3rd last season in the NFC North.... and aren't getting to draft at pick 18. What does that tell you about the NFC North?

18. MINNESOTA

Race: Necromantic
Player Selected: Iron Beagle (Air Force)
Skills: Block, +MA, Leader - 37 points
Position: Werewolf

Grade of Pick: B

WIPER JR: As I previously stated, the NFC North is a factory of hard-nosed, successful, competitive teams. It was the second most competitive division in all the NBFL last year, based on team percentage ratings. Only the NFC East was a more competitive division from top to bottom.

Coach ritzi has been around the league for a very long time now. He and his front office know what it takes to win in this league. Let's take a look at their roster, and see if we can find some holes that need to be filled.

FLESH GOLEM: No. There are two on the squad already. Even though one has lost a bit of mobility due to his age, players of their current caliber just don't hang around in a draft until this point. There wouldn't be any improving here.

WIGHT: No. The two players that are employed are excellent. There's no improving available here.

GHOUL: No. It's honestly the same case. Though one is slightly dinged up, these guys are excellent at what they do. There's no improving here.

WEREWOLF: Yes. Minnesota can employ two, but currently have only one on the squad. They're the heart and soul of the squad, so this is DEFINITELY an area of need.

ZOMBIE: Sure. There's always room to improve in the core. This is a place that can be improved on.

We've now identified that we need a second Werewolf, as well as some Zombie depth. Let's explore what our options are.

Werewolves qualify under the Skilled and the Blitzer categories, so we may have some good candidates. We here at BSDN felt that the choice to make for instance impact would have been Chirashi Zushi out of Nippon University. He is coming out of college with two skills that every coach is looking for on a Werewolf: Block and Mighty Blow. That combination of skills will lead to a lot of success going forward, promoting a healthy stream of removal from both players at the position. Zushi comes out of college with 25 points, leaving him only 6 points away from his next skill.

Minnesota, however, chooses to go in a different direction. They elect to draft another qualified candidate in the person of Iron Beagle. He comes on board with Block, Leader, and +MA, and 37 points. We can understand the attractiveness. Having a player that can move that much more is a blessing that many people don't recognize. He also provides an extra Re-Roll for the squad.

The roster, as it's currently constructed, seems to lend itself toward drafting a more offensive-minded Werewolf. He certainly wouldn't be asked to carry the ball, as Minnesota already has 3 players with ag4 on the club. He's not really being asked to provide support, as the Flesh Golems have that under control, along with some support from all-around player Greg Jennings. That really only leaves one option for what a Werewolf needs to do for the squad; smack dudes in the face.

It seems to us at BSDN that Zushi may have been a better choice for the Wolfkings. He would already come with a double skill on board; one which allows him to skill up at a much faster pace. This adds more skills to the package faster, allowing him to blossom into Dodge or Tackle quickly. Though Beagle is a solid player, he doesn't seem like he's a tailored fit to the Minnesota squad.

In the end, it's a case of right position, but not the best player, but again, that's according to the opinions of the 5 members of the BSDN committee...

CHEFCTER: Well folks, we're still going. We're through the first 18 picks now. We're slowing working our way closer and closer to the playoff teams from last season. Stick around through these commercial breaks. There's more to come as in the next segment, we discuss picks 19 and 20.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2015 - 04:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Closing in on #31! My first proper draft grade! The anticipation!!!

Fantastic as usual mate.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2015 - 06:39 Reply with quote Back to top

This is some great fluff! Thank you!
 Jump to: